VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What cloning software you guys use for backing up your disks and partitions?

I own a rather old Norton Ghost (something like 8.x, can't remember exactly) and its perfect for all my retro needs. It can clone almost any partition/disk (FAT, FAT32, NTFS, HPFS) to another HDD and its very practical to use (boot with a floppy and do your thing).

But when it comes to modern drives and backing up the "clone file" to a USB disk, I think I need something more modern. What I have is another Norton Ghost (version 14) and Acronis True Image 2013. Norton Ghost 14 is troublesome (needs installation and messes up with registery) so I'm not using it. Acronis True Image 2013 is very nice, but it's also needs installation and unfortunately I have only one copy. It was ok while I had only one modern computer, but having two more now (daughters PC and HTPC) complicates things. I really don't want to purchase two more copies of Acronis software

So, what is your suggestion about a good, practical, powerful enough disk and partition cloning/backup software which:

- will work for Windows 7 and Windows 8
- can able to utilize USB disks for backup
- independent from OS (can boot and run from CD or floppy - does not require installation at all, if possible)
- possibly free, if not, cheaper than like 20-25 USD

Thanks in advance! 😀

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 2 of 19, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Firtasik wrote:

I'm using Clonezilla.

I'll give it a go. Normally I have some negative tendency to anything Linux (I'm definitely not a Linux guy and has no idea about console commands of it).

I hope it has somehow intuitive interface for a Linux noob like me. 😊

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 3 of 19, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use DriveImage XML in conjuction with BartPE as my bootdisk utility when I want to restore my hard drive partition (it works even when I want to restore my Windows 7 partition). You obviously don't require BartPE to backup your partition.

However, BartPE hasn't been updated since February 2006 and I will probably have to look at an alternative boot disk utility (just haven't bothered yet as it still works for me).

DriveImage XML, on the other hand, is still being supported and runs on their own Runtime Live CD or a WinPE boot CD-ROM.
The Private Edition is free of charge, provided you use it for private use.

Reply 4 of 19, by y2k se

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most of the PCs in my house are connected to our Windows Home Server, so they get daily incremental backups. For the retro PC, I occasionally will take an image using Clonezilla.

Tualatin Celeron 1.4 + Powerleap PL-IP3/T, ASUS P2B, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Voodoo2 SLI, AWE64, 32GB IDE SSD, Dell 2001FP

Reply 5 of 19, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Regarding Acronis True Image (which I'm using), it does require installation but you can then create a bootable media to use everywhere and do pretty much everything.
There's also a "free" version downloadable from WD that all it needs is to find a WD HDD attached. Even a USB WD HDD hooked up on the machine just for the program to start is enough.

Reply 6 of 19, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:

I'll give it a go. Normally I have some negative tendency to anything Linux (I'm definitely not a Linux guy and has no idea about console commands of it).

I hope it has somehow intuitive interface for a Linux noob like me. 😊

Although command line is very useful, in most Linux distributions you don't need to use it. Clonezilla can be managed using CLI, but it uses a text user interface by default.

Also, clonezilla is the only tool I've found capable of cloning eMMC disks.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 7 of 19, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote:

Regarding Acronis True Image (which I'm using), it does require installation but you can then create a bootable media to use everywhere and do pretty much everything.
There's also a "free" version downloadable from WD that all it needs is to find a WD HDD attached. Even a USB WD HDD hooked up on the machine just for the program to start is enough.

That's good news, I was thinking that the bootable CD is only for restoring, not cloning/backing up. I'll check this tonight, since I already have the bootable CD on hand and ready for my main rig.

What is the name o this free software? I'm asking since I know from the past WD renames some retail utilities (like Ontrack Disk Manager). No problem with Western Digital, all the HDDs in my modern(ish) rigs and all my external USB disks used for backup are WD.

E D I T : No worries, I already found the Acronis WD software! 😁

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 10 of 19, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Acronis True Image is fantastic, and as Konc says, when you've installed it, then you can create a bootable CD/DVD/USB stick, and then you never need the installed program again, as you can just boot with the bootable disc/USB stick any time, and use that (on any PC or laptop) to create or restore a partition/disc.

It's powerful, easy to use, reliable, and fast.

Reply 11 of 19, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

+1 for Clonezilla. I'm not a Linux guy either and have had no issues with it -- it has an interactive live environment which you can boot off of whatever, and there's a tutorial for n00bs.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 13 of 19, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lolo799 wrote:

There's g4u if you're allergic to Linux, it's based on netBSD instead:
http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

If he's not interested in the low level bits, it smells the same to him.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 14 of 19, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
calvin wrote:
lolo799 wrote:

There's g4u if you're allergic to Linux, it's based on netBSD instead:
http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

If he's not interested in the low level bits, it smells the same to him.

Unfortunately yes, It smells and tastes the same. Much more command line operations then I ever need in an alien console. 🤣

Thanks a lot for everyone, now I have really many options and I tried many, just for curiosity (clonezilla is not bad at all). But at the end, I think the best is WD Acronis software which is both free, and have everything I need and know how to use. I also found a Seagate version of it which is also free, called Disc Wizard. http://www.seagate.com/tr/tr/support/downloads/discwizard/

Now I have WD software installed in all three modernish PCs in the house and backed up all those WD HDDs into all those WD Mybook externals. 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 15 of 19, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All the HDD manufacturers have an Acronis version 😀

I prefer using removable drive bays and take images on my main desktop in a USB 3 bay. Much faster and reliable than using the old boxes to do it. You also need a place to save, and load the images to and from.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 16 of 19, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

All the HDD manufacturers have an Acronis version 😀

I prefer using removable drive bays and take images on my main desktop in a USB 3 bay. Much faster and reliable than using the old boxes to do it. You also need a place to save, and load the images to and from.

I also used removable drive bays in the past. Remember those beige ones with front handles and metal keys for locking them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-StarTech-Removabl … =item2803d29cd7

But it was an era during which the floppy is too small, and CD burning is too expensive, so only feasible sneaker net medium was the HDD itself. But in modern times, I see them as more trouble than they worth. Actually I have a USB HDD dock that can accept both SATA and IDE 2.5"/3.5" drive, but it is rarely used, to say the truth.

In my retro rigs, at least the ones that matters, I always have at least one SCSI drive that I used for each machines data storage, and this drive also contains all the Norton Ghost drive images that belongs to this machine (my retro machines are almost always multiboot). Since the biggest of them, even Windows 2000 images are not much bigger than 5-6 gigabytes, its very easy to transport the images by USB stick, CF card, or over network to my main rig to be backed up into my external backup disks.

For the modern(ish) rigs (I have one XP, two 7, one 8.1 machines), I just installed the free Acronis to each of them, connected an external HDD and backed them up directly.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 17 of 19, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tayyare wrote:

[
I also used removable drive bays in the past. Remember those beige ones with front handles and metal keys for locking them?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-StarTech-Removabl … =item2803d29cd7

Yes, but:

this-is-sata-300-movie-demotivational-poster-1202756953.png

🤣 I use SATA drives in all my machines + modern SATA drive bays. I wouldn't have it any other way, got so used to them.

rr02_2.jpg

Reply 18 of 19, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Except my XP machine (which I don't consider it as 100% retro, anyway), none of my retro things has any SATA on them. I have a huge stash of IDE and SCSI drives mostly in the 20-80 GB range, with an addition of a few 0.5-3 GB drives and some 120-200 GB, accumulated during my mid to early days of being "computer-guy-next-door", so as long as they last, I have no intention of contaminating my PIII and below builds with anything SATA. 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 19 of 19, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got, I think, two IDE drives. Work has a, basically limitless supply of old SATA drives. Mostly 80, 160 and 500 GB drives.