VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RavenholmDX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently started reading Masters of Doom, and while it's more so about the development of DOOM and Quake, and early 90's game development in general, it talks a good bit about the PC's of that era, from the Apple II to the 386/486 machines of the early 90's. Is there any books similar to Masters of Doom, maybe biographical accounts of early game development, or the early hacker movement?

Vague question, but hopefully someone will have read something along those lines?

In Progress Build | Intel Pentium III-S 1.4Ghz | Intel D815EEA2 | 512MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce4 Ti4800SE 128MB | SoundBlaster Live! PCI

Reply 4 of 6, by RavenholmDX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys, almost finished with Masters of Doom so will be nice to have some good reads lined up!

In Progress Build | Intel Pentium III-S 1.4Ghz | Intel D815EEA2 | 512MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce4 Ti4800SE 128MB | SoundBlaster Live! PCI

Reply 5 of 6, by badja

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd like to echo badmojo's comments in the other thread about Hackers by Steven Levy. I read it many years ago but it has always stuck in my mind because it really brought to life that period of time where computers started making their way into the home and many of the characters that were involved in developing the groundbreaking hardware and software of the time. It was also extremely readable and is a book
that I want to read again one day.

Reply 6 of 6, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Jordan Mechners book about the development of prine of persia is a nice read to. It's his journal and gives a nice view of the struggle of programming and releasing a game.

http://www.jordanmechner.com/backstage/journals/