VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Recently I've been trying out various air combat simulators. So far the one that I like the most, primarily for the flight model, is Microsoft Combat Flight Flight Simulator 2: Pacific Theater. The problem is that I find the campaign ridiculously difficult even on the easy difficulty level.

Unimportant, frustrated rant, feel free to skip this paragraph:
Basically the game makes me feel like I'm on a really bad team in an online fps game, for the lack of better comparison. In a dogfight, I can usually shoot down 2-3 enemy planes before I run out of ammo. The rest of my squadron shoots down 2-3 enemy planes total, and then they all get shot down by the enemies. By that time I'm all out of ammo and I have a swarm of Zero's on my back in a plane incapable of outrunning the Japanese aircraft so I inevitably get shot down and either my parachute doesn't open (which happens ridiculously often) or it does open, the Japanese capture my pilot and it's game over anyway. It's frustrating and I can't beat the mission simply because my team performs poorly. I can't be expected to shoot down 90% of the enemy squadron all by myself!

So, I thought that maybe I should try something else. Since I've already tried the most popular WWII sims, perhaps someone could recommend a good WWI sim? Although if there's a good WWII sim that I haven't tried yet but you think I should, feel free to recommend it as well.

My requirements:
- It has to be a sim, not an arcade game.
- There has to be a way to make it run on Windows 7 x64. I don't care if I have to use a wrapper or something as long as it works.
- There has to be a way to set a resolution of 1280x960, be it by editing the game settings or by editing a .cfg file or something.
- No DoS simulators, please.

Already tried:

- Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator: WWII Europe Series (for some reason the joystick isn't compatible with that one on Win7)
- Microsoft Combat Flight Flight Simulator 2: Pacific Theater (ridiculous difficulty)
- Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3: Battle for Europe (the flight model feels too arcade-y)
- Jane's WWII Fighters (The campaign makes the player destroy ground targets rather than enemy planes way too often. I don't like that.)
- Wings of Prey (too arcade-y. You can make the flight model feel realistic enough by enabling the simulator mode but even then you have unlimited ammo and the damage model is still quite poor. Damage to your plane barely makes any changes in the way the plane feels and behaves. Instead, it's more like losing health in a shooter.)

Reply 1 of 10, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried game "IL-2 Sturmovik" or B-17 Flying Fortress II: The Mighty 8th or Wings of Honour?

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 2 of 10, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wings of Prey (too arcade-y

From Wikipedia: "with less focus on realistic simulation than other entries in the series." Try the earlier versions of the IL-2 series. See if the original Demo is still around. It was pretty complete.

Perhaps you want Rise of Flight for WW1.

CFS1 was /awesome/ in it's day, but I think it would feel rather toy-like and arcade-y to anyone who's played more modern, so don't spend much time trying to fix it.

Reply 3 of 10, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know if it meets your demands, but Red Baron 2 (3D) is pretty hard to beat when it comes to WW1 sim. I'm not talking about the flight model, but the overall feel of the campaign and randomness of events. Falcon 3.0/4.0 is pretty much the only thing that comes close.

Reply 4 of 10, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Honestly, I really enjoy Warthunder, but it's not much of a simulator. There's a GREAT simulation under the hood, the graphics are beautiful, and the planes are very detailed and diverse.

BUT mostly it's Team DM in the sky. 😀

Reply 6 of 10, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiger433 wrote:

Have you tried game "IL-2 Sturmovik" or B-17 Flying Fortress II: The Mighty 8th or Wings of Honour?

I will be trying out IL-2 soon.

I just tried Wings of Honour and despite what the descriptions might say on some websites, it's not a simulator. It's purely arcade.

I will not be trying out Rise of Flight out of principle. Microtransactions are what I consider to be the greatest evil ever.

I will also not be trying out War Thunder. It's a 2012 game so it's safe to assume my aging PC won't be able to handle it at decent FPS. Also... microtransactions.

As for Red Baron 2, I might check it out although from what I've seen in gameplay videos, the flight model appears to be rather stiff and arcade-y.

Reply 7 of 10, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of my favorite simulators is Chuck Yeager's Aircombat, struck a great compromise between playability and realism, the only downside is that it has little to none ground attack missions, hence the name I guess.
Other oldies I liked, Red Baron, Aces of the Pacific, Aces over Europe, 1942 The Pacific Air War, European Air War, IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 (definative compilation of IL-2 Sturmovik), Wings of Glory, Secret Weapons of the Lufwaffe, Their Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain, Dawn Patrol, Flying Corps, Overlord, Rowan's Battle of Brittain and its upgraded version Wings of Victory (BoB2).

For WW1 definately try out Rise of Flight, the game is free and only cost money if you want more planes and campaigns, the stock free game come with everything a casual player would ever need, the game captures that flying in an open cockpit feeling the most at the moment, though War Thunder does a good job also.

Though I have to say I don't really like flightsimulators anymore, the developers only pay attention to getting the flightmodel and weaponsystems as accurate on a computer as possible and then there is no developement time/money left for making a fun game or interesting campaign.

Reply 8 of 10, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are going to restrict your search to plain vanilla versions of the sims you have tried and the sims others have mentioned above, you are likely to be disappointed. The already mentioned Sierra/Dynamix Red Baron II/3D is a good example of a game that won't meet your criteria out-of-the-box, but MIGHT if you consider subsequent 3rd party mods/super patches/re-releases. The original game only supports resolutions up to 1024x768 out of the box, but was later expanded to at least 1600x1200 and possibly higher resolutions thanks to 3rd parties. Many super patches and 3rd party mods make flight and damage model changes, so you might be able to find one or more to your taste.

Many of the simulators listed by Procyon have similar stories where subsequent 3rd party (and sometimes original) developers made extensive changes to aspects of the simulations with which you have been disappointed. European Air War and IL-2 Sturmovik are additional examples of games that have evolved greatly, and one stage of their development may be what you are looking for. So I would encourage you to look beyond the original games and sift through subsequent development efforts if you can't seem to find what you are looking for.

Also, keep an eye out for 3rd party campaigns for original versions of sims as these can be quite different than the built-in campaigns.

Reply 10 of 10, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yasashii wrote:

As for Red Baron 2, I might check it out although from what I've seen in gameplay videos, the flight model appears to be rather stiff and arcade-y.

Install the "Full Canvas Jacket" mod for it. Aside from improved graphics, the flight and damage models are completely overhauled and more realistic.