VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by meisterister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's a Dell advert from September 29, 2002.

While the price appears to be pretty good ($700 for a complete desktop system), Dell was selling 256 MB of SDRAM as an upgrade with a straight face. Let's take our already slow P4 and combine it with even slower RAM!

The laptop, on the other hand, actually looks pretty good. With a 59 watt battery, I would expect it to have some fairly good battery life.

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Filename
    Scan.jpg
    File size
    4.41 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Dual Katmai Pentium III (450 and 600MHz), 512ish MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, ATI Rage 128 | K6-2 400MHz / Pentium MMX 166, 80MB RAM, ~2GB Quantum Bigfoot, Awful integrated S3 graphics.

Reply 1 of 11, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, for what I assume is a Tualatin Celeron, the price isn't bad, for 2002.

Cheap PCs notoriously had less RAM than they needed, in that era. This was still in the middle of the GHz race, RAM wasn't selling computers, clock speed did.

Reply 2 of 11, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oerk wrote:

Yeah, for what I assume is a Tualatin Celeron, the price isn't bad, for 2002.

Cheap PCs notoriously had less RAM than they needed, in that era. This was still in the middle of the GHz race, RAM wasn't selling computers, clock speed did.

They soaked you for memory upgrades like Apple does today. Never order a memory upgrade from the Apple store. You can almost always get it cheaper somewhere else.

Reply 3 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OEMs do this a lot. Also the era of the vague undescribed chipset "64-bit video card" and "128-bit video card" tiers. IIRC Who knows if it meant Rage Pro and Rage128?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 11, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My mom's first computer was a Dimension. My first laptop was an Inspiron, but a little newer than that version.

Dell's Enterprise product has been pretty good for a long time, but their consumer product still doesn't impress me. Consumer grade machines are all pretty lame, come to think of it.

Reply 5 of 11, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it just me.... Or is that woman screaming in agony/pain or something?
And over what? 😁 😁 😁 (let the joking begin)

On toppic:
That is a cool reminder of what things used to be like, back in the day's.
Nothing like having more things, than just the hardware.
The "history" or "documentation" is really great to have too.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 6 of 11, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd say she's laughing at those ridiculously overpriced setups. 🤣

I had some 80-100 newspaper (I don't remember the word for the "divisions" from a newspaper) that had cool computers tips and news, back from the 90s and some 00's. They also had a supplement with ads and back in 90s some shops had their prices on US dollars. You'd had to be reasonably wealthy to afford a computer back then.

Reply 7 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snayperskaya wrote:

I had some 80-100 newspaper (I don't remember the word for the "divisions" from a newspaper)

Articles?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 11, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Here are a couple of ads from Computer BITS Magazine I found some years ago at another forum. They're from September and October 1996 (click on pics for original size):

d7JqLuml.jpg qQvB55pl.jpg

These ads give an idea of the prices for computer hardware back then *_*

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 9 of 11, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

No shit! Stuff was expensive back then. And you _knew_ it would be outdated a few months later and borderline unusable after 1-2 years.

Reply 10 of 11, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

And they're looking similar to the prices for the same things these days too 😲

Reply 11 of 11, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:
Snayperskaya wrote:

I had some 80-100 newspaper (I don't remember the word for the "divisions" from a newspaper)

Articles?

Is that it? English isn't my primary language and there's been a good 5-6 years since I've finished the language course. 😁

Anyways, I'll try to take some pics of them... If I find'em. Last time I checked I had a bunch that had bite marks. 🙁 Damn rats.