Common searches

Other hobbies?

Topic actions

First post, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've always wondered if any one else here has other hobbies? For me it's not hardware and or retro gaming or gaming or movies and game and music collecting and what not (all the same hobby to me), it's usually something like small engine or motorcycles, cars trucks and or early internal combustion engines or steam engines they are the retro computers of the auto/internal combustion world. I sometimes wonder if any one else shares such hobbies or is in to other hobbies as much as they computers/retro computers.

Reply 1 of 215, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally I also collect and repair typewriters in addition to my computer and game collecting hobby. I also partially collect old books that catch my interest (Mainly pre 1930) and I have a small collection of records (mainly LPs and 45s but I also own a pile of 78 RPM records and some Edison records) and the machines to play them on of course (a few turntables, a victrola and an edison machine). But yeah typewriters are my biggest other hobby.

I also play guitar and piano a little. I've tried making synth music now a few times, doesn't seem to resonate with people but I like it. 😜

Here is a playlist on youtube of my music https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEUkNr … g_sK3v4h_n8xUGj

Last edited by King_Corduroy on 2015-07-29, 02:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2 of 215, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I myself often muck about in the likes of ImpulseTracker, making covers of other music and making my own tracks for use in my custom Unreal maps. I also make OPL2 music in ScreamTracker 3. (because the interface in ST3 is awesome, even if it's a buggy POS)

Apart from that, I have a "unhealthy obsession"\strong ties and beliefs with dragons. And unrelated to the former, also a interest in the furry fandom in general.

I also do crude low poly 3D modelling in Blender, but it's a chore to make something right, and even more of a chore to get it imported into Unreal.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 215, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A decade ago I collected DVDs. I had about 200+. But that was about it. No other hobbies really. 😀

I enjoy playing AOE2HD and CivNet occasionally.

Last edited by PeterLI on 2015-07-28, 11:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 215, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- Collecting (and playing with) LEGO. About 900 sets, 160.000+ pieces. I'm not collecting anymore, though (but still playing, especially with my daughter).

- Collecting (and watching) DVD/VCD movies, heavily sci-fi. 2000+ DVDs, and about 500 VCDs (all original). Still doing it, though at a slower rate.

- Reading sci-fi. A considerable collection of several hundred books, almost all have been read. Includes about 200 SW books (all the novels of the saga).

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 6 of 215, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My car: a 1990 vw corrado g60. Received in the last 2 years: transmission rebuild, g60 rebuild, complete engine rebuild, fast chip, headers, cam, wheels and tires, brakes, battery, replaced power steering unit and lots of small stuff... 😵 1100kg and 200bhp, it goes pretty well.

It is a hobby and costs a lot more than the car is worth by now (but they become much more rare the last years, so price goes up slowly)

I prefer retro pc's, they cost nothing compared to this car 🤣

Cheapest hobby is a bit of fitness a few times a week. Costs next to nothing and really gets my head clear.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 7 of 215, by mrferg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lately I've been going outdoors more often. Either frolicking with the squirrels and sandpipers in nature, or working on and using my various forms of transportation. I've got three bikes from the 70's, two Schwinns and a Ross. I've got a kayak for paddling around and attempting to surf on Lake Michigan. There's also my old BMW 540i which is just so much fun to drive, it's my 3rd bimmer and 4th German car. A decade ago I was very into cars, I was a member of at least half a dozen message boards, went to car meets, took photos of my cars, and acquired many a book on the subject. Though, now that I have a house I'm finding most of my time is spent working on it, and my car isn't getting the attention it deserves.

Photography is something I've been into for a while, not that I'm any good at it. Currently I'm 100% digital, with my Canon 60d and 50mm f/1.4 and a seemingly endless number of point and shoot cameras. Recently I inherited an old family Graflex 4x5 film camera, which is an amazing piece of equipment, but it will require the construction of a darkroom in my basement. So... project! When I'm away from light pollution I like to hook my camera up to my telescope and dabble in a bit of planetary photography, so far all I've managed is the moon, Jupiter, and Saturn, Mars still eludes me.

Also I'm a sucker for Lego as well, I've got boxes of em left over from when I was a kid. Currently my nephew and niece play with them when they come over, I don't really mess with them. I did just order myself a new set though, the Lego Ecto-1, I had no choice in the matter, it had to happen.

PacBell 386sx
Gateway 2k P75
HP Pav 7360 MMX200
SE440BX-2, P2 450
3 Modernish Dell Precisions

Reply 8 of 215, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pinball! :D

I just happen to live in a city with a little over 100 league-registered players and over a dozen private pin owners, technically including myself once I'm able to get my Hollywood Heat pin back from a friend who's taking care of it until enough space is cleared up in the new apartment to be able to set it up. Actually, I was at his place yesterday for a little before going to see the new Pixels movie with him; He recently got a Metallica pin (not sure if Premium or LE but it's definitely not the standard Pro model) which is in incredibly good shape! :3

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 9 of 215, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tend to change hobbies fairly quickly, one thing can never keep me interested for too long. Though usually it's something to do with computers, electronics or mechanical stuff. Currently I'm slightly addicted to playing darts, which somehow managed to keep my interest for several months already.

cdoublejj wrote:

it's usually something like small engine or motorcycles

I still have an old 80cc Honda in parts somewhere in the garage. Which reminds me, I should put that thing back together sometime, riding and tinkering with it was always really fun!

Reply 10 of 215, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was into F1 and cars, but had to stop due to lack of time. Keeping up with all the new things in programming (my job), retrocomputing and gaming suck up all my time.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 11 of 215, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrferg wrote:

...Photography is something I've been into for a while, not that I'm any good at it...

Hey, this is exactly why I did not mention photography as a hobby of mine in my previous post! 🤣 I'm not good at it, too, but I do like taking photographs, especially of my family and friends and doing that since 1985, with my dad's very old camera (1963 Voigtlander Vito CLR), than I upgraded to a Nikon FE-10, than an F80 (N80 for USians), than a D70 and now for the last several years, a D90.

mrferg wrote:

Also I'm a sucker for Lego as well, I've got boxes of em left over from when I was a kid. Currently my nephew and niece play with them when they come over, I don't really mess with them. I did just order myself a new set though, the Lego Ecto-1, I had no choice in the matter, it had to happen.

Tell me about it. I was practically addicted for a long while (well, 35+ years 😊). But then my daughter came, then we bought a house, then need to switch jobs and not earning that much anymore...so it stopped. 😢 Did not purchased any lego (except for my daughter) for the last 5-6 years.

Last edited by tayyare on 2015-07-29, 09:14. Edited 2 times in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 12 of 215, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cooking food.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 13 of 215, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to paint most evenings [acrylic mainly], but had a break for about 10 years. Also used to be into photography, cine and still, though it tended to be experimental with a lot of buy-it, try-it, sell-it going on of cheap-but-interesting camera gear - highlight was building a very amateurish rotating camera . I made pictures I was proud of but they wouldn't win any contests.

I seem to coincidentally be getting back to these interests. Concrete sculpture may be on the cards. Computing/gaming is nose-diving right now for me. After I stopped playing WoW a few months ago [and got over most of my buy-it, try-it, sell-it approach with computer hardware too, plus never found Diablo ii or Path of Exile long-term addictive and I got quickly bored with Tera - so there's nothing to replace WoW] I began revisiting old games and buying GoG stuff, but single player + offline is not addictive like online so I have time on my hands [I hate the connectedness of steam anyway so that's no danger to me!]. I've had a go at midi but really - it's not me, I am clueless about music .

Last edited by ratfink on 2015-07-28, 22:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 215, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a house recently so it seems my current hobby is working on that! Current project is sanding and oiling a timber deck.

I used to have a couple of motorcycles (both road and offroad) but I've sold all those now. It was an expensive hobby and I wasn't really riding much any more. I stacked the dirt bike and needed surgery on my wrist, and after that I sort of lost interest a bit.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 16 of 215, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One of my biggest hobbies is collecting vinyl records, mainly heavy metal and other music I like. I also have a decent stereo setup just for playing these records and occasional listening to the radio. This has really slowed down as of recent, but I still try to go to the local record store whenever I get the chance. Outside of that, I've been doing random digital art projects on and off for the past year or two. I also used to be big into video game collecting (talking about consoles here - Genesis/Mega Drive and PlayStation mainly).

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 17 of 215, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to have a largish collection of carnivorous plants, and bonsais on-and-off. But real life is unrelenting and I often don't have time to maintain the actual garden properly - let alone the exotics - so I recently sold them off and replaced the greenhouse with a trampoline for the kids. I used to fish, play golf, work on my vintage car, and play guitar - these have all been superseded by fatherhood, but I don't regret it for a second.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 18 of 215, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I collect and tinker with board games - mainly wargames but classics and modern euro types as well. That's the main hobby but I also read and collect books on science, ancient history and paleontology, physics and astronomy, South polar exploration [a keen interest in this area], expeditions & mountaineering generally, as well as dabble in paranormal subjects out of curiosity. I also have a nice model railroading library but sadly too little space to build more than a 'pizza box' micro layout a narrow shelf pike - one day...

Reply 19 of 215, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hobbies and interests of mine outside of retro tech. include:
- stage combat (mainly swordplay) for amateur performance
- historical European martial arts (HEMA)
- costuming in various not-for-profit costumer groups that raise money/bring attention to charities
- martial arts (primarily hard-style karate)
- reading (primarily science fiction and technical manuals)
- hiking / camping

I also of course am a long time MAME / MESS developer and assist with the project when and where I can and as time allows.

Lately I've taken to walking 7 miles a day for fitness.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto