Common searches

Other hobbies?

Topic actions

Reply 200 of 215, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Considering that we have a forum section (Milliways) to talk about everything else that is not related to computing, how about a topic to talk about football (soccer) or basketball? or any other sport? It is classified as a hobby, I think 😜

Maybe we can open a topic to talk about which teams we support IRL? Or it could become a too heated subject in the future to consider opening it?

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 202 of 215, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Jogging and boxing. Too bad pandemic came and I had to stop training at the gym, but I still kept training at home and plan to be back soon.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 203 of 215, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2022-03-17, 00:47:

Considering that we have a forum section (Milliways) to talk about everything else that is not related to computing, how about a topic to talk about football (soccer) or basketball? or any other sport? It is classified as a hobby, I think 😜

Maybe we can open a topic to talk about which teams we support IRL? Or it could become a too heated subject in the future to consider opening it?

I never really understood the thing about watching millionaires competing for a piece of spherical animal hide.

I did enjoy playing soccer as a kid though.

Reply 205 of 215, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThenZero wrote on 2022-03-19, 18:20:

Chess, Woodworking, Other electronics (circuits)

The best is when the hobbies overlap, like a recent (wooden) monitor stand I built for my IIe.

Interesting, please feel free to share a picture if you want. 😀

Reply 206 of 215, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2022-03-19, 21:18:

Interesting, please feel free to share a picture if you want. 😀

Don't have to tell me twice!

Keep in mind I haven't "finished" (aka painted) it yet. I was between staining and painting, someone on VCFED suggested I paint and color match my IIe and I think that sounds like a phenomenal idea.

Attachments

Reply 207 of 215, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd consider auto maintenance one of my main hobbies other than gaming and retro PCs. I like doing work myself if I'm capable. That typically means any and all fluid and filter changes, tire rotation, spark plugs and coils, brakes, throttle body, PCV, MAF/O2 sensors and other replaceable components. If I can do it with my basic set of tools, ramps and jackstands and it's not too physically demanding (I'm in my 50s and have a bad back), it can be a therapeutic experience.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 208 of 215, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Currently what can be called a hobby is that I go hiking at least once a month. I'm also a regular gym goer 3-4 times a week, but it's more like a habit than a hobby. I considered picking up swimming too, I'd like to do better. Currently the peak of my swimming skills is not drowning if my feet don't reach the bottom (though I didn't swim in the past 10 years), but I don't have time to seriously do another active/outside hobby.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 209 of 215, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-04-03, 00:31:

I also used to love to ride motorcycles. Here's my Suzuki Bandit and my Honda CBR1000RR.

The state of California sent me a bill for the registration on the Honda (the uppermost heap of slag) a couple of years ago, and I threw it in the trash in disgust. I thought that would be the end of it, but they just intercepted the funds out of my state tax refund. I had to spend two hours yesterday listening to terrible hold music in order to speak to someone about getting this straightened out. They had me download a fillable PDF "Statement of Fact" and say for the record that it had been destroyed in the Camp Fire, then fax it to them. I did so, but I was called back by them and informed that my statement "This motorcycle was destroyed in the Camp Fire on November 8 of 2018" has to be changed to "This motorcycle was destroyed in the Paradise Camp Fire on November 8 of 2018." I now have to go and fax the revised form to them.

It seems that something has changed - in the past in California you'd get a notice to pay your registration fees, and if you chose to ignore it, you'd only get into trouble if the vehicle with unpaid registration was parked on a public street, or being operated.

For some reason, out of the four vehicles registered in my name that were destroyed by the fire, this is the only one that has caused the bureaucratic machine to become ensnared in some sort of red tape feedback loop.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 210 of 215, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still painting miniatures..

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 211 of 215, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been playing a lot of chess lately. If you're on chess.com and want to play, hit me up via PM. I'm not great, but I'm not a beginner either. Playing at a rating of ~1100.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 212 of 215, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hugging trees.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 213 of 215, by Jura Tastatura

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have two german shepherds. Getting those two is probably the best thing that happened in my life after getting married and having children. A life changing event.

Reply 214 of 215, by lepidotós

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I want to learn 3D animation; I can model, just not rig. I also like cooking and baking. And I've been trying to learn the D programming language for a few years now; I wouldn't say I'm a master but I've gotten a few programs finished.

Reply 215 of 215, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cars and guitars are my main hobbies.
I have two project cars a 1982 Corvette that was my fathers, and a 1981 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am that has basically become a "bandit clone"

I used to swap and sell guitars quite a bit in my bar gigging days, but those days are behind me I think.
I mainly just play at home and have settled on 5-6 "keepers"

Both of these hobbies are far more expensive than retro PC collecting 🤣.