Other hobbies?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 215, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

Right you are, it won't stop the majority of it, but it'll stop the big stuff which is what causes me the most grief I think. Our city streets are lined with European Plane trees, which look nice I must admit, but which literally shower the streets with irritating seeds and debris during spring. I'm hoping that the cloth will filter out that at least, but time will tell!

I spent two years in Melbourne recently, loved the city, but wow that pollen was insane! Having a conversation in the street resulted in having coughing fits for a day, so can only imagine gulping in air on a bike wouldn't be much fun 😵

Reply 61 of 215, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In Omsk there are lots or cottonwood trees planted back in USSR. The female ones make fluff, from mid-June to mid-July the streets look like this:
10075273.jpg

It's everywhere. Needless to say I don't ride in the city at these times 😀

Reply 62 of 215, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:
In Omsk there are lots or cottonwood trees planted back in USSR. The female ones make fluff, from mid-June to mid-July the stree […]
Show full quote

In Omsk there are lots or cottonwood trees planted back in USSR. The female ones make fluff, from mid-June to mid-July the streets look like this:
10075273.jpg

It's everywhere. Needless to say I don't ride in the city at these times 😀

and it get EVERYWHERE!!! We have them in missouri too, they like to get all over what ever you are working on in the garage if the door is open.

Reply 63 of 215, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Really happy that I don't have asthma or allergy as heavy as you all have.
My eyes itches a tiny bit in spring, when the grass is making pollen.
Wich is nothing compared to what you are experiencing.
Feel for you all.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 64 of 215, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Really happy that I don't have asthma or allergy as heavy as you all have. My eyes itches a tiny bit in spring, when the grass i […]
Show full quote

Feel for you all.

Do all the nerds around the world need to be so stereotypical? 🤣

I have my own share of pollen allergies, itching eyes and sneezing storms.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 65 of 215, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
Really happy that I don't have asthma or allergy as heavy as you all have. My eyes itches a tiny bit in spring, when the grass i […]
Show full quote

Feel for you all.

Emmm... I don't have asthma or allergy 😕

Reply 66 of 215, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought myself a road bike recently. In Russia you barely see them due to generally bad roads, mountain bikes are a huge trend though.

The bike is second-hand, main parts are made of carbon, therefore it has the insane weight of less than 9kg. The gear is a mix of Shimano parts from Tiagra to 105, the wheelset is really nice in particular. The frame itself originates in China, for what I know, it's the same quality as fancy brands for much less money. I look forward to designing badass decals saying "Magrathea 42 ZB". Let them think it's some serious brand 😁

It's getting cold here, almost 0°C, so I don't get to ride this beast a lot. Only made 100km on it so far never knowing which ride would be my last in this season 😁 And oh my, now I understand why people prefer mtb's! This bike is a rocket if the road is good, but otherwise it's a torture.

Here's the pic:
5TI0BAcCEwk.jpg

Reply 67 of 215, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

h6yM5stl.jpg
My newest hobby.
I bought parts for a hexacopter after having so much fun with a small one for 20$.
I still have to assamble the copter but i still wait for some stuff to deliver.

My YouTube Channel

Reply 68 of 215, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have too friggin' many hobbies for a married guy with a day job.

Aside from the retro-computing/retro-gaming thing, I also....
- play guitar, bass, synthesizer, and various other instruments with similar "interfaces"
- yes, I do record music, and play in bands/various projects, currently I'm with nothing dedicated at the moment
- I like to buy up cheap guitars and fix them up and flip them
- I also like to build guitars both from parts and from scratch
- I work on our cars, though that can technically be called a chore sometimes
- I also tinker with small gasoline engines
- Occasionally I tinker/repair other electronics from the good ole' days such as TV's, VCRs, LaserDisc Players, I'm no expert, but I can make a $20 as/is Laserdisc player work like a champ - says my 1984 Pioneer CLD900.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 70 of 215, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

I bought myself a road bike recently. In Russia you barely see them due to generally bad roads, mountain bikes are a huge trend though.

Ohh la la that's a very fancy ride you have there. Given that water would freeze in your current weather conditions, can we assume that both of those drink bottles are filled with Vodka?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 71 of 215, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

Ohh la la that's a very fancy ride you have there. Given that water would freeze in your current weather conditions, can we assume that both of those drink bottles are filled with Vodka?

Nah, I don't drink Vodka, I don't want to mess up my ride 🤣 🤣 Hot tea with juice is more likely to be inside.
Actually, drunk riders are fun. They fall every 20 meters, but how eargerly they get up to resume their journey! You can call them names, but you can't deny their persistence!

Reply 72 of 215, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last Saturday I first tried the road bike on a 200km brevet. That was a nice ride, I completed it within 9:20 and I'm overall very happy with the bike's performance and comfort!

I spent winter looking for parts to pump my ride, got myself a pro-level saddle, replaced worn parts of transmission with new hardware - rear mech, chain, casette - and bought a pair of bags, one permanent for tools and a tube, one temporary for long-distance riding.

Attachments

• Photo0263.jpg
    Filename
    Photo0263.jpg
    File size
    978.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 73 of 215, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Besides the obvious computer stuff I fiddle with:

1) Guitar. Previously I was in a reggae band for years but nowadays I just practice and play at my own leisure. Works for me.

2) Airsoft. It's a similar outdoor war game to paintball, but with 6mm solid plastic balls as ammunition and realistic looking guns. I have several gas, spring & electric operated airsoft guns and tons of tactical gear. It's a very fun hobby especially at summer time.

Reply 74 of 215, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hobbies.. oooh..

pinball, real phsycal pinball not virtual garbage.

hiking/camping/backpacking/long distance hiking/fishing/mtb....

hiking the appalachian trail >12? years ago, is how I met my wife and ended up being stuck living in america instead of moving back to australia. now i have wife/kids/mortgage/chickens/dogs 🤣

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 75 of 215, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Other than retro PC games I also collect retro console games. I've also built a MAME cabinet. Outside of gaming I'm into movies and I am rather proud of my home theater setup.

I also tinker with RC cars. I've built one from scratch. That gets me out of the house. To spend excess energy I like to either get out on my bike or inline skates. I live next to a lake with some long paths that make it possible.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 77 of 215, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pollen didn't bother me riding a bike as a kid. What did bother me were those clouds of little flies that would hang in the air over cycle paths, and also those little green caterpillars that would lower themselves on silk threads from the trees above. I came to associate cycling with mouthfuls of bugs.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 78 of 215, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BloodyCactus wrote:

hiking the appalachian trail >12? years ago, is how I met my wife and ended up being stuck living in america instead of moving back to australia. now i have wife/kids/mortgage/chickens/dogs 🤣

The full trail or partial? I knew about the trail, but didn't know all the details. I just checked the stats. 3500km I would hope to complete in ~100 days. I've never had that much clear time to attempt anything similar, but I know it would be one hell of a journey.

I'm putting in some road time to get re-acclimatized. If everything goes well, I'd like to attempt the Mantario trail sometime this summer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantario_Trail

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 79 of 215, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AT! Done a small section of that when I was a teen.

... these days I do try to get in some walking. Walked about 8 miles the other day at about a 20-minute mile pace, just for the hell of it. Need to get back in shape 😀

My original list: Re: Other hobbies?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto