VOGONS

Common searches

Any of you on Windows 10?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It was officially released a while ago, any of you download and install it yet? I got it running and tweaked, its decent. The start menu is improved over 8.1 but still inferior to Windows 7. It's basically Windows 8.1 with a bunch of GUI changes, a lot of it needlessly simplified to try and incorporate users more into the "app" experience. If I had to choose between it and 8 though I'd probably choose 10. A lot of "default on" privacy invasion datamining stuff, but you can turn it off.

In short, it's nothing special, but not that bad either.

Reply 1 of 228, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had it on my core solo laptop w/ 4 gigs ram. Ran pretty effin slow. But I liked it for the most part.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 3 of 228, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried it on my Asus Eee 1005PE w/2GB RAM & SSD. Upgrading failed with the 'Something happened' error, a clean install worked but now it won't activate. Later I found out that it won't recognize my product key unless I go through the whole upgrade shenanigans. Doesn't seem to run any faster than the Windows 7 Starter the machine came with, but I haven't really used it much. Seems a bit less inconsistent than Windows 8, but didn't like the new Start menu nor the smartphone-like settings screen.

Don't know at the moment if I'll keep it or not, feels pretty 'meh'.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 4 of 228, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been using the previews for awhile. Downloaded the ISO today and will probably get around to trying it in a week or two when I have time.

8 trained me to avoid the start screen and go back to using icons on the desktop so that's pretty much how I've been using 10 even tho the search doesn't take up the entire screen anymore it's still annoying.

It's nice to not accidently have the charms bar pop up, it boots faster and so far has done a fairly decent job of getting out of the way so I can do what an OS is supposed to do and run my programs.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 228, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

I will probably skip it. Windows 7 is the new XP. 🤣

🤣 It seems so! I still have a partition for Windows 7 on my main machine for gaming but since I just don't have much patience for games these days I mainly stay on my linux partition.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 6 of 228, by blank001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would only ever user linux for personal computing because proprietary operating systems in 2015 are privacy nightmares. That said, if I were tempted by a DX12 title, I would consider a gaming only boot partition of W10. That hasn't happened yet.

_: K6-III+ 450apz@550, P5A-B, 128Mb CL2, Voodoo 5500 AGP, MX300, AWE64 Gold 32mb, SC-55v2.0
_: Pentium III 1400 S, TUSL2-C, 512Mb CL2, Voodoo 5500 AGP, MX300

Reply 7 of 228, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What illegal and shameful activities are you doing with your computer if you need total privacy?
Since Windows 8.1 was the best windows ever made so far I am guessing Windows 10 will be good as well. But due to age of my T61 I will give it some time to mature.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 8 of 228, by blank001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:

What illegal and shameful activities are you doing with your computer if you need total privacy?
Since Windows 8.1 was the best windows ever made so far I am guessing Windows 10 will be good as well. But due to age of my T61 I will give it some time to mature.

Assuming you're serious, for me privacy has nothing to do with illegal or shameful. I have an expectation of privacy when using personal electronic devices owned and operated by me. I also have an expectation of freedom to modify and study these devices and the way they behave (software). Actually using windows for your personal computing is then a violation by all accounts. I do look the other way for retro gaming 😉

_: K6-III+ 450apz@550, P5A-B, 128Mb CL2, Voodoo 5500 AGP, MX300, AWE64 Gold 32mb, SC-55v2.0

Reply 9 of 228, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:

Trust me bro, you really should just turn away. 😊

Seriously though, I know that us folks in the USA are doing our best to become everything we criticized about the USSR, but surely you know that's a pretty old argument.

Stojke wrote:

Since Windows 8.1 was the best windows ever made so far I am guessing Windows 10 will be good as well.

you__s_trollin__by_kylekiller-d4nu7pr.jpg

Stojke wrote:

But due to age of my T61 I will give it some time to mature.

I would love to have a T61 with a standard 4:3 screen and NVIDIA or Radeon graphics. I think it would make a perfect WinXP laptop.

Reply 10 of 228, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nobody can stop you to modify what you own. There is so much way somebody can steal from and spy you today that its absurd to be obsessed with security. If somebody wanted to take your "shit" they already took it 😀

No trollin, just personal experience. Windows 8.1 is by far the best Windows I have used and developed in. Especially because of easy to use interface and metro. People, if six wheels provide more stability and efficiency you use six wheels no matter how "ugly" it is.

T61 pretty much is an XP machine, especially because of X3100 graphics in it. In windows Vista and up the graphics adapter driver is useless. have to use an modified one in order to have basic open Gl and acceleration. Still with this driver programs like Valve Hammer Editor do not function properly at all. I used Win XP x Mint 17 for a year with it and got fed up of switching constantly.

Reply 11 of 228, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a few PCs with Windows 8.1, where I registered for the free Win10 update, but none of them have downloaded the update yet, apparently, because I haven't seen the notification to install it yet.
As soon as I get the signal, I will upgrade.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 12 of 228, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been running Windows 10 preview in a VirtualBox VM on my Linux box for 6 months or so. So I was well prepared for the release.

I upgraded my gaming rig (i5 16GB) from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on release day using the media creation tool to skip the queue. My Windows 7 was starting to get a bit clunky and I was planning on doing a fresh install of 10. But, I tried the upgrade first. What a difference, 10 brought new life back in my machine. Boot times are faster, and Steam loads quicker at boot. Overall everything just feels snappier. I didn't run into any issues during the upgrade process. I did do a fresh install of my nVidia drivers using the newly released Win 10 version.

This morning I tested streaming games from my Xbox One to the new Xbox app in Windows 10. Using a wireless Xbox 360 joystick I was able to play Forza Horizon on Windows 10. I didn't notice any lag, but I do notice some artifacting due to the video compression. It will be a handy feature when my wife is watching her show on the TV where the Xbox One is, and I just have to play something on it.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 13 of 228, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

Its not about total privacy.

I do not really care what the NSA knows about me but I do care if private corporations do similar profiling and keeps a record with all information about me they can get their hands on even if its only for advertising purposes. I can say with confidence that no information database is 100% secure, information will leak and this can have serious consequences if you are politically active in certain countries in for example the Middle East.

I do not live in such a country but my behaviour when using the Internet has changed anyway. 15 years ago I was activly using Face Book like social media, I was activly discussing poletics on open forums and I talked about private stuff using IRC (but not ICQ or MSN which kept records of everything online). Today I do non of those things, the only thing I activly discuss online is computers and other technical things. Even if I have nothing to hide that dosnt mean I want personal information about me and people close to me spread all over and saved in huge databases beyond my control.

The fact that you have to leave your phone at home if you do not want records of your exact movements saved for ever annoys me alot. In the end I will probably sacrifice all online technology when I feel I can manage my life without it, which I sadly cant under current circumstances. What I can do today is to share as little information as possible so I dont support the fuckers more than I have to. I do not even like to discuss the things I just mentioned but the fact that people happily accept this shit makes me worry about the future.

Its also an issue for people who works with classified information. I know people who use their home computers for work stuff without realizing that they are sharing every key stroke with Microsoft and god knows who and by doing so they are breaking the law. I believe Hillary Clinton was such a person just to name one we all know about 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 14 of 228, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Of course, but the main and most important link in the protective chain is you. Confidential data should be protected during input, storage and transfer, as well as keeping track where is it used and to whom it is accessible. Don't worry about legality of what you do because they wont sue you for something not interesting/long forgotten.

In reality I write my passwords and important info partially and keep the other part with me.

Reply 15 of 228, by blank001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:

Nobody can stop you to modify what you own. There is so much way somebody can steal from and spy you today that its absurd to be obsessed with security. If somebody wanted to take your "shit" they already took it 😀

No trollin, just personal experience. Windows 8.1 is by far the best Windows I have used and developed in. Especially because of easy to use interface and metro. People, if six wheels provide more stability and efficiency you use six wheels no matter how "ugly" it is.

T61 pretty much is an XP machine, especially because of X3100 graphics in it. In windows Vista and up the graphics adapter driver is useless. have to use an modified one in order to have basic open Gl and acceleration. Still with this driver programs like Valve Hammer Editor do not function properly at all. I used Win XP x Mint 17 for a year with it and got fed up of switching constantly.

The T61 is an amazing computer. My daily laptop is a T61 motherboard with intel graphics put inside a 15" 4:3 chassis from a T60 so that I have that lovely flexview screen. It uses fedora.

With regard to modifications, that's absolutely not true. I can easily own a piece of proprietary software such as windows 10 and have no way to modify it or study it. It's entirely closed sourced. I think a common proprietary software analogy is being put in a straight jacket, except the average user is willing to A) pay for that privilege because jackets keep them warm, and B) don't know that they have arms that could be freely used.

I'm trying to keep my comments confined to proprietary operating systems, but outside of that it's an even worse privacy nightmare (as others have pointed out). Online accounts like social media, skype, email, cell phones, etc are all not OK. Cell phones are probably the most egregious of all in 2015.

Reply 16 of 228, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depends on determination. With out an formula you analyze individual components to get to it.
Some people analyze programs and alter them with hand made code, like for example Valve Hammer Editor 3.5 modifications.

But I understand you, it would be nice if you could interact more with things.

T61 is pretty ok, but I have the intel GMA version, very bad graphics driver for it. Wish it was an NVidia chip.

Reply 17 of 228, by blank001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:
Depends on determination. With out an formula you analyze individual components to get to it. Some people analyze programs and a […]
Show full quote

Depends on determination. With out an formula you analyze individual components to get to it.
Some people analyze programs and alter them with hand made code, like for example Valve Hammer Editor 3.5 modifications.

But I understand you, it would be nice if you could interact more with things.

T61 is pretty ok, but I have the intel GMA version, very bad graphics driver for it. Wish it was an NVidia chip.

The T61 suffered from that nvidia gpu failure, so the only ones that are still kicking around today in high use are the intel T61 boards. There are some rare T61 nvidia boards where they fixed the issue but they are hard to get. The rarest and most desirable is FRU 44c3926 because you can put it in a T60 15". I personally use the 42w7872, which penryn native with intel graphics.

http://t61.wikispaces.com/

Reply 19 of 228, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, just upgraded three of my systems to Win10. So far so good.

I'll be keeping my main system on Win7 a while longer. IIRC, OS X wasn't fully baked until 10.2 or 10.3 rolled out, so I'll probably wait til Windows "10.2" before upgrading the main system. 😀

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!