VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey,

Looking to revive an old VLB graphics card that does not seem to wanna work anymore. I cen't see any visable damage to the card so I'm assuming it's either memory / bios related.

Does anyone have this card that I could maybe get a fresh copy of the Rom Bios, thanks.

To view the card either use link or attachement.

Number #9 GXE64 Pro VLB

Attachments

• 9 VLB.JPG
    Filename
    9 VLB.JPG
    File size
    297.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 10, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome VLB card. I am really jealous. Hopefully it is just the BIOS...

Bios is availible here: http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cards/ite … 54-s3-vision964
This is the link to the bios: http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cards/ite … af9541b8633dd09
Maybe it is from a different brand, but who cares as long as you just wanna check that it is still working.
If it works then you can also make a request there to get the "correct" bios for your card.

I also downloaded generic bios for different cards (S3). And it worked well.

Last edited by moturimi1 on 2015-08-23, 19:30. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As i always said, make proper copys of your bios files.. These cards are that old. that eprom loosing there memory, so bios program getting corrupt.. and graphics card will fail..
I really recommend to replace all of these roms on your older devices, sooner or later they all will fail.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3 of 10, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:

I really recommend to replace all of these roms on your older devices, sooner or later they all will fail.

Just erasing and re-burning should be sufficient right?

Reply 4 of 10, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dont know for sure if a chip would degree after some time.. But the basic thing is indeed to reprogram them.. Also keep a backup rom file in possession if something goes wrong, so you have a fall back..
But i would recommending to replace the eprom it self as well, definitively with it looks worn out or the pins are to much corridated.

At least it would work for about 20+ years again..

Reply 5 of 10, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These UV eraseable EEPROM do not work for me. I tried a lot to delete the ROM content.
But it did not work. Neither with a UV lamp (365 nm exitation) nor with a broad band UV lamp (200-400 nm).

I prefer the Winbond 27C256 and 27C512 EEPROM. Works great!

Reply 6 of 10, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all the contributions so far.

Robin4, this is very good advice... something i've planned to do for a while now (a project in itself) but had not got round to it until recently. I would recommend to anyone the same thing... backup ROM's keeping both a spare soft / hard copy. Motherboards, graphics cards... the lot!

jwt27, I will not use the same ROM... I will probably play it safe and just use a new ROM / flash file. This way if the card boots... it can be used for 20 years+, to reflect and confirm what Robin said.

Moturimi, the kit i'll be using required the ROM to be under the lamp for upto 24 hours. How long do you leave it under for? But yes most of the devices I have that use a ROM works with the 27C256's. If i get some blanks instead of erasing older Bios's (for the meantime) I will be sure to look for and get the Winbond variants.

Thanks again for all the advice so far.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 8 of 10, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SA1988 wrote on 2020-11-02, 20:35:

Thanks for this bios! Also, is there any Number Nine 928 bios available? (the GXE one without 64, be it ISA or VLB).

I can dump one. But i dont know if its still working.