VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 23, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

electric dreams from 1984. guy spills coffee onto the computer, that comes to live, doing all kinds of tasks like voice control. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087197/

Reply 21 of 23, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote:
Independence Day It kills me how Jeff Goldblum plugs his laptop into an alien computer network and infects it with a virus. […]
Show full quote

Independence Day
It kills me how Jeff Goldblum plugs his laptop into an alien computer network and infects it with a virus.

Every Crime Show
The magic of "image enhancement"

====
I'm not sure I can count Terminator's 6502 code. I think it was intended that those who caught it would take it as an easter egg.

The one that bothered me was the futuristic CPU chip itself as shown in Terminator 2. This was the CPU for the old model Terminator (the Schwarzennegger model, which Wikipedia calls a T-800). It is the focus of at least a couple scenes and part of the plot, so I think it counts as an important detail.

In one scene, the Cyberdyne dude is in the present day, designing the chip that would become the T800 CPU. I can't find a picture, but as I remember it, it's presented as an archaic DIP chip with something like 16 long pins. There's no way I can accept that this packaging form factor could or would be used for a high performance CPU, even in the early 90s. It belongs in an early 8 bit PC playing Pac-Man.
Hmm... at least the look of that chip forms some consistency with the 6502 code mentioned earlier. Maybe MOS is Cyberdyne.

Maybe a DIP looks more interesting on screen than a PGA or some surface mounted chip, so I guess I can forgive the movie makers for using a DIP. They could have at least given it more pins though. It must have terrible bandwidth.

The only CPU pictures I could find were of the actual T800 CPU (from the future) which they pull out of Ahnold's melon. That chip looks like a USB Flash drive with a heatsink on it. It has an edge connector with maybe 4 pins. I'll concede this is future technology, but I still have a hard time accepting how that form factor could ever work as a CPU. If it's pushing power and data through 4 pins, it must be running at such insane frequencies that an edge connector wouldn't work.

Yeah that Independence day scene was ahead sci-fi even when I first saw the movie. 😁 Also the T2 ATM DOS-0based palmtop scene is quite "too much". 😁

Reply 22 of 23, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 80s Knight Rider,
with 1980s chip (CPU & RAM) manufacturing technologies and period correct 80s software engineering technique, I seriously doubt the KITT's processing powers & AI.

-fffuuu

Reply 23 of 23, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386SX wrote:

Also the T2 ATM DOS-based palmtop scene is quite "too much". 😁

The palmtop was real, using it to hack an ATM was only a bit too much. The palmtop was an Atari Portfolio, which was indeed DOS-based (it was IBM PC-compatible).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Portfolio

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto