VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 100 of 140, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
brassicGamer wrote:

Here is a new entry. I feel bad for the guy but I don't know what to suggest.

cAyL0nP.png

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 101 of 140, by ragnar-gd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On my first computer, a 386sx, i had a socket for the math-co-processor. I built it in turned by 90 degrees. Then, a very small puff of smoke from a little hole appearing on the edge of the co-pro, and my best friend watching, highly amused, patted me on my shoulder with some friendly toned insults. He still reminds me of my tech skillz now and then... 8-/

My posts on the subject of W98SE legacy are dedicated to Rudolph Loew, (+11/ 2019, *1952), as without his work my builds would not be possible.

Reply 104 of 140, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
saturn wrote:

Loving the mod's reply:

"OK, we're happy that card "is in life", but now I lock this thread to avoid possible flames. 

voodoo5k6, please stop to post images of modded Voodoo5 6000 cards. Else, these messages will be removed. Thank you.

Bye bye"

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 105 of 140, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Ayayayayayyyyy carambaaaa!!!!!!! Que diablos es esto???? 😵 🙁 😒

I usually don't mind PC hardware mods, but this is taking things a bit too far IMHO.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 106 of 140, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I... don't get it... Why?! WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Just send these cards my way and I'll treat them with love and respect... WHY PLAY-DOH?! How can someone have enough knowledge to install some water cooling but still be dumb enough to put play-doh on the damn thing?!

Reply 107 of 140, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
saturn wrote:

th?&id=OIP.Maa017630beedcd37e1a95394333491b6o0&w=297&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

...WHY?

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 110 of 140, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

Does he still do that? I mean... what's the point?

As far as I know, he has been banded from every 3dfx site.
He likes to start fights and play dumb and tells the mods to ban everyone that calls him out on his crap.
Last I heard he has his rampage and all but one of his voodoo 6000s in a lock box at some bank. He's some rich guys son in France from what I been told.

Reply 112 of 140, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

That's... kindda sad.

It sure is. I had a few quantum 3d cards he wanted. He asked me for them and I told him no. He tossed out some big numbers. After witch he tried to insult me. A few days later he stating asking me agin but with a different account like it never happen. He did that a few time befor giving up.
Funny thing was, I sold the cards to someone else for a much lower price then told him about it. Then told him to tell his other accounts that I sold the card for me. He had to be mad.
And his pm's. So much broken English. I know I'm bad. But damm his English was bad.

Reply 113 of 140, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably throwing out my original Packard Bell from my childhood and convincing my father to toss the old computer game boxes he had neatly folded up and stored in the attic... I still smack my self every time I think about what a cock sure little asshole I was as a teen. 😒

Also I can remember frying a motherboard on a Compaq Deskpro in the early 2000's while looking at a way to upgrade the machine. My father and I were poking around in it while it was still plugged in and we heard a POP and both knew it was hopelessly toast. 🙁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 114 of 140, by RobW0lf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For me? (Just warning you all, n00b level cringe here :p)
Once was at a Car boot sale a few years back (Well, actually around 7 years ago now, or so) and came across a COMPLETE Pentium Pro setup, including a nice keyboard, monitor and some software.
So, dumb/young me decided to buy this system, the guy said it "wasn't complete/had issues", but I still bought it anyway... He only wanted £10 for the full setup and I seen it as a pretty decent investment, all I wanted to play was RollerCoaster Tycoon and seen this as the perfect system to do so with.
So I got home, tried powering it on, nothing. No beep, just the front panel LED indicating power, the CPU fan spinning, but nothing else other than that. As I'd never really tinkered with a desktop system before, I had little to no knowledge of hardware and basically assumed it was dead.
So what do I then do? Throw the monitor/keyboard out (which was a nice early rubber dome too), then basically took parts from the machine, and then...

Basically I smashed what was probably just an incomplete system, because I was dumb, and didn't really have an internet connection to Google stuff at the time. Worst part? I vaguely remember the system not having any memory/a HDD, too. Basically I destroyed what I thought (back then) was just a "crappy old dead computer".

Basically I was an idiot back then who should of just waited and kept that system around, until I had more of an interest into computer hardware.

Reply 115 of 140, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RobW0lf wrote:
For me? (Just warning you all, n00b level cringe here :p) Once was at a Car boot sale a few years back (Well, actually around 7 […]
Show full quote

For me? (Just warning you all, n00b level cringe here :p)
Once was at a Car boot sale a few years back (Well, actually around 7 years ago now, or so) and came across a COMPLETE Pentium Pro setup, including a nice keyboard, monitor and some software.
So, dumb/young me decided to buy this system, the guy said it "wasn't complete/had issues", but I still bought it anyway... He only wanted £10 for the full setup and I seen it as a pretty decent investment, all I wanted to play was RollerCoaster Tycoon and seen this as the perfect system to do so with.
So I got home, tried powering it on, nothing. No beep, just the front panel LED indicating power, the CPU fan spinning, but nothing else other than that. As I'd never really tinkered with a desktop system before, I had little to no knowledge of hardware and basically assumed it was dead.
So what do I then do? Throw the monitor/keyboard out (which was a nice early rubber dome too), then basically took parts from the machine, and then...

Basically I smashed what was probably just an incomplete system, because I was dumb, and didn't really have an internet connection to Google stuff at the time. Worst part? I vaguely remember the system not having any memory/a HDD, too. Basically I destroyed what I thought (back then) was just a "crappy old dead computer".

Basically I was an idiot back then who should of just waited and kept that system around, until I had more of an interest into computer hardware.

Haha, thanks for giving me a laugh 🤣 🤣

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 116 of 140, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Two occasions come to my mind in particular:

1) I filed the edge of pcb from GUS ACE card as a teenager because "it wouldn't fit" the new computer case I was transfering it to. Result? Dead card. Guess my filing or rough handling did something bad to the card. 🤣

2) I threw my old faithful Olivetti 486 DX2/66 to recycle center 3-4 years ago because I fooled around in it's BIOS and somehow managed to lock entire machine. I couldn't even enter BIOS anymore. No manual, so I didn't know or bother to figure out what pins to short circuit from motherboard in order to reset BIOS. I just dumped the unit. I did salvage the CPU and memory BUT left working PSU and Media Vision Jazz 16 sound card inside. Stuuuuupid me. But back then I didn't appreciate retro hardware as much as I do now.

Reply 117 of 140, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would using spaghetti to force a cdrom tray out be considered dumb enough?

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 119 of 140, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Uncooked, right? 🤣
I can totally see a stick of uncooked spaghetti fitting in the manual eject hole in lieu of a paperclip, but can it actually push the tray out without breaking? 😵

http://133FSB.wordpress.com