VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DaCiRO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys.
With Summer practically ended and Fall around the corner I am moving back again into indoor hobbies

I started working on something that I could not finish last year..... the cleaning of my IBM PS/2 8515 monitor. The thing is proving a challenge again, can't get it open, and I do not want to use brute force unless it is the last resort. Basically the front blue buttons need a lot of clean as they get sticky and I also want to dust it properly from inside.

I eventually will get it open, just a matter of time (....maybe years but once inside I want to walk on egg shells when getting my hands in it.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea where could I get the Service maintenance manual for this monitor (IBM PS/2 8515 monitor). would be great if anyone knows of a link or could pass a long a scanned PDF copy (can agree on a price for the efforts if needed)

There is a e-bay seller in US who has the manual but would not ship to Japan (I am in Tokyo,....happens to be this way).
Any help would be great appreciated.

Reply 1 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's a text-only version of the hardware maintenance manual part no. SA38-0053-00.
IBM Personal System/2 Display Hardware Maintenance Manual - Vol. 1
January 1993 - Document Number SA38-0053-00 - Part Number 68G2616
http://ps-2.kev009.com/basil.holloway/boo-to- … A38_0053_00.pdf
(duplicate?) http://ps-2.kev009.com/basil.holloway/boo-to- … A38_0053_01.pdf

I think this is what you want (aside from any graphical diagrams?)
Either way, this should give you more part numbers to help your Google/eBay searches to find it for sale in Japan. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 14, by DaCiRO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Stiletto.
This is helpful and will give me a good process based reference in case something is wrong with the Monitor. I am looking for the Maintenance manual that was shipped with the PS/2 monitor, these manuals show in a very graphical way how to disassemble the monitor piece by piece including which tools to use for the job (lots of pictures rather than schematics).
There is one in ebay but for sell only within the US 🙁

Got your message on my other two post. Point taken and Thanks for the heads up.

Reply 3 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DaCiRO wrote:

Thanks Stiletto.
This is helpful and will give me a good process based reference in case something is wrong with the Monitor. I am looking for the Maintenance manual that was shipped with the PS/2 monitor, these manuals show in a very graphical way how to disassemble the monitor piece by piece including which tools to use for the job (lots of pictures rather than schematics).
There is one in ebay but for sell only within the US 🙁

Hmm... it's not -exactly- the same manual I linked (excepting the graphic diagrams)? Could you please link the eBay auction?

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Should VOGONS Drivers start hosting MB manuals, too? Especially for boards that need jumpers set.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

Should VOGONS Drivers start hosting MB manuals, too? Especially for boards that need jumpers set.

Up to SquallStrife, I guess...

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 14, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a manuals section already. Right now it's a catch-all for any sort of manual you please. As the collection grows, I'll probably divvy it up a bit.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 7 of 14, by DaCiRO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally was able to get the manual!. It is on its way by mail, will take still 2~3 weeks max.
this is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321846316900?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyone stuck like I was in any part of accessing-cleaning their PS/2 monitor?... jut let me know and will share the right section with you.

Reply 8 of 14, by pleonard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The issue with these is you need specialized tools to release plastic catches inside the monitor, after the screws are removed. I've heard you can fudge it with it with slot covers, but would be wary of sticking anything conductive into part of a monitor that I can't see.

If you do find diagrams or drawings of these tools, it would be very helpful to have those scanned -- as well as any methods you discover to work around the problem with other items (custom-cut thick plastic sheet?)

Reply 10 of 14, by DaCiRO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Display Hardware Maintenance Manual for PS/2 displays arrived today.
It covers servicing information including a complete parts list for PS/2 display models : 8511, 8513, 8515 (mine), 8516, 8517, 8517, 8518, 9515, 9517, and 9518.
Regarding how to remove the rear covers it shows that this is done with two little delatching tools (part 59X6319). These are listed also listed in the Tools and Test equipment section required to repair PS/2 displays (see list also in picture below)
If any one is interested in the diagrams of any of the monitors listed above let me know and I will add them add the pictures as part of this post.

Attachments

• FRONT.JPG
    Filename
    FRONT.JPG
    File size
    202.89 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Front Page
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Type1.JPG
    Filename
    Type1.JPG
    File size
    306.97 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Type 1 Rear Cover - Delatching tools
    File license
  • Tools and Test parts.JPG
    Filename
    Tools and Test parts.JPG
    File size
    254.2 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Part number of Delatching Tools
    File license
  • Type2.JPG
    Filename
    Type2.JPG
    File size
    256.03 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Type 2 Rear Cover - Security Screws
    File license

Reply 11 of 14, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DaCiRO wrote:

The Display Hardware Maintenance Manual for PS/2 displays arrived today.

Great stuff, if you ever feel like scanning it please feel free to upload it to VOGONSDrivers or wherever. 😀

Stiletto

Reply 14 of 14, by DaCiRO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tamtakos wrote on 2024-01-06, 20:19:

Any chance the service manual was scanned?
Thanks!

Tried few times but there is too many pages, these aren't numbered and the ring binder makes the reading difficult to scan it open-book style. Let me know what you are looking for specifically and I can scan those pages individually.