VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys, I've always thought computers of this particular form factor are just really cool and I would love to know what others there are out there so I could try and hunt down examples of them all! 🤣 What I mean to be more specific is all in one computers where the computer, the drive (not always) and the keyboard are all in one case. I basically want to learn about what other keyboard computers existed!

Also why are there no keyboard computers for the modern market? I would love to own a slim computer like these as long as it had at least a Core 2 Duo in it. 🤣

Here are some pictures of the computers I'm talking about that I know of, if you know of others the LOOK like these then post a reply! Thanks 😁

Sinclair PC200 (Really freaking want one of these 🤣)
Sinclair_PC_200_Reconstructed_White_BG.jpg

Commodore 64C (My personal one that I painted black)
s1840018_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d97k6gu.jpg

Commodore Amiga 500 (also the Amiga 1200 and 600 are like this too)
amiga_500.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2 of 48, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh come on, everyone knows the Vic-20 and I already mentioned the Commodore 64. 🤣 Surely you guys know more than just the usual ones. Also no one say TI-99/4a! I already own one. 🤣

Reply 3 of 48, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could always do some of the weirdo Japanese systems....like Sega SC3000.

If you made a list of the systems you've already covered it would be easier for us to fill in the gaps.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 48, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok you're right I was just being lazy, these are the systems I know of:

Commodore 64 (All versions) also the 128
Commodore Vic-20
Amiga 500,600,1200
Sinclair PC200
MSX systems
TI-99/4a (both black and white versions)
Apple IIc
BBC Micro
Acorn Archimedes
Atari Computers
Schneider EuroPC
I think that's everything...

I'm extra curious about PC compatible systems that were built with this form factor such as the PC200 and the Euro PC

Reply 7 of 48, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here are a couple of mine:

Pdj8kAoh.jpg
lM9LqF8h.jpg

But really there were zillions of them in the 80s. Like this cool number: Digger and Hercules Graphic, using CGA Emulation

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 12 of 48, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Atari 8-bit and the ST! Found an ST recently but traded it since PCs are enough of a hobby for me, I don't need more systems with different technological problems.

That Sinclair is sexy!

Also, I've always liked the form factor but I'm a disappointed that there never was a faster PC than the Schneider Euro PC II. So I'm thinking about a project where I'm building a nineties PC in a keyboard case myself. I'm already in the process of collecting hardware for it, but it's not going to be easy.

Reply 13 of 48, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oerk wrote:

Also, I've always liked the form factor but I'm a disappointed that there never was a faster PC than the Schneider Euro PC II. So I'm thinking about a project where I'm building a nineties PC in a keyboard case myself. I'm already in the process of collecting hardware for it, but it's not going to be easy.

Are you going to use desktop or laptop parts? A laptop is basically a PC in a keyboard case with screen attached. Should make the job a lot easier.

Reply 15 of 48, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:
oerk wrote:

Are you going to use desktop or laptop parts? A laptop is basically a PC in a keyboard case with screen attached. Should make the job a lot easier.

Nah, that's too easy! Desktop parts all the way, maybe with riser cards... I don't mind the size or weight much and want a fullsize keyboard.

Reply 16 of 48, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oerk wrote:

Atari 8-bit and the ST! Found an ST recently but traded it since PCs are enough of a hobby for me, I don't need more systems with different technological problems.

That Sinclair is sexy!

I've also been thinking about doing this as well but with a modern motherboard so that I can have a desktop linux machine in a unique case. Are you going to make your from scratch or use some other thing as a base? For a while I was considering building a computer inside of an electric typewriter shell but I am now rethinking that and have decided to just build mine from scratch. I've also decided to go with Desktop parts as well! 🤣

Reply 17 of 48, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From scratch! It's either going to be wood (think Atari 2600) or clear acrylic glass, painted white. Still not sure what I'm going for.

Modern mainboard is not retro enough. I have a µATX Slot 1 board here with integrated Rage Pro graphics and Yamaha sound, that should be compatible enough with DOS and able to run early Windows (maybe even 3D) games. Still need to test the board out, and if it works for this purpose, hunt for the rest of the parts. Smaller ATX power supply, for example. Also, budget is next to nothing 🤣

Goal is to build something that could've existed in the 90s, the spiritual successor to Atari ST and Amiga.