VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 48, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

You can't fit expansion cards into this form factor. The Sinclair machine at top had ISA expansion slots but any cards you plugged in projected out of the top of the machine, which was dangerous as well as ugly.

So exactly like expanding a Spectrum then. 😜

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 41 of 48, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like Spectrum, Amstrad and I guess C64.

Keep on mind that those computers were not low end, but bottom end. They're intended to be used as home computers (opposed as business computers) and even could be connected to a TV, so they figured that nobody would need/want to expand it.

BTW, PC200 was really an obsolete computer by the time it was launched... almost any other brand had moved into XT and AT computers with at least 640Kb. The only redeeming (or not) feature was that 720Kb floppy drive.

Also, I like the colour scheme of that computer. I dream of putting a Raspberry Pi into a custom keyboard case with that same colour scheme.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 42 of 48, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I assume like most Amstrad-Sinclair machines it was also very cheap. It may have been the cheapest PC-compatible computer on sale in 1988.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 43 of 48, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sharp MZ 700/800 ?
http://www.retrocollect.com/Reviews/discoveri … arp-mz-700.html

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 44 of 48, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure if this was mentioned, but anyway I had a couple of these awhile back. It has connectors for VGA (9-pin), mouse and external floppy drive. Also the PSU was external, much like in A500. Very low end system, a 8088 that was still being sold in 89-90!

Attachments

• desk19_01.jpg
    Filename
    desk19_01.jpg
    File size
    190.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 45 of 48, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I mentioned it above, I'd love to buy one of these someday. What cool computers!

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 46 of 48, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also In the USSR there were also BK10-01 and BK11m computers - home computers which were built on ... PDP-11 architecture ! ))

Here's it on the right - on the bottom picture - and...

on the left is the DVK3m - PDP11 compatible "serious" computer )

Attachments

• bk.jpg
    Filename
    bk.jpg
    File size
    139.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • VItM9Pg.jpg
    Filename
    VItM9Pg.jpg
    File size
    167.37 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 47 of 48, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sf78 wrote:

Not sure if this was mentioned, but anyway I had a couple of these awhile back. It has connectors for VGA (9-pin), mouse and external floppy drive. Also the PSU was external, much like in A500. Very low end system, a 8088 that was still being sold in 89-90!

It's a Hercules/CGA connector, not VGA. Also had a connector for an external 20MB HDD

Reply 48 of 48, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the clarification. I sold both of mine because it was such an effort run it with all the external gadgets to basically do the same thing a simple desktop would do. I'm pretty sure the price would've been close to one too when you add all the "optional" extras.