User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
ripsaw8080 wrote:
sliderider wrote:

'irregardless'

Just say "regardless" instead of being party to the perpetuation of this thing.

Irregardless is an actual word. It's in the dictionary.

And despite rumors to the contrary, 'ain't' is also an actual word. That ought to bring out the grammar Nazi's.

If that's from Webster then it doesn't count. You could belch and they'd write it down for the next edition.
They even added an alternate definition of "literally" to mean the opposite of it's own meaning, thus legitimizing the destruction of that word. Time for the pitchforks I say.

I support Webster's improuvements to spellinge thoughe.

Reply 21 of 29, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm sure many dictionaries list "irregardless", as they are compelled to document words that people use, even if such use is misguided and improper. However, more important than simply being listed is what the dictionaries say about the word: it is a non-standard and/or incorrect form of the word "regardless". Continue to use the word if you refuse to be edified, as some people do, just know that you are contributing to the sad reason that words like this are actually in the dictionary.

Reply 22 of 29, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Continue to use the word if you refuse to be edified, as some people do, just know that you are contributing to the sad reason that words like this are actually in the dictionary.

Amen to that. What's worse is when something becomes so well-used that it becomes 'accepted'. Like people saying till instead of 'til. A till is a fucking cash register!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 23 of 29, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sometimes I think I say "technically" too much. And whenever I'm prompted to say something technical, I have a habit of starting the sentence with "Well..."
"Well, technically..." comes off my lips a lot. Probably makes me sound pretentious.

brassicGamer wrote:
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Continue to use the word if you refuse to be edified, as some people do, just know that you are contributing to the sad reason that words like this are actually in the dictionary.

Amen to that. What's worse is when something becomes so well-used that it becomes 'accepted'. Like people saying till instead of 'til. A till is a fucking cash register!

That's one I would probably do wrong if I was writing it.
And I'll never get affect/effect right. I had to settle for my own simplified logic just to give myself a sense of order on that one. I'm pretty sure it's wrong, but I couldn't handle figuring out the real rules behind it.

Reply 24 of 29, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote:

And I'll never get affect/effect right. I had to settle for my own simplified logic just to give myself a sense of order on that one. I'm pretty sure it's wrong, but I couldn't handle figuring out the real rules behind it.

I've never actually thought of a way to remember this but lots of people gets this wrong - homophones are a minefield. They're, there and their are a big problem in schools.

But I'll have a go at answering your question. If you affect something it can cause an effect. A comes before E so maybe that would work? I affected the good vibes at the party. He had an effect on the party. Affect signifies that a change IS taking place Effect signifies a change HAS taken place. I think.

Another good one to remember is the difference between stationary and stationery: E is for envelope. Don't ask me about the difference between practise and practice though.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 26 of 29, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brassicGamer wrote:

But I'll have a go at answering your question. If you affect something it can cause an effect. A comes before E so maybe that would work? I affected the good vibes at the party. He had an effect on the party. Affect signifies that a change IS taking place Effect signifies a change HAS taken place. I think.

Like alexanrs mentioned above, I use "affect" as a verb, and "effect" as a noun. I think it works most of the time but it's probably not exactly right. I looked up an article about it once and it was pages long.. my eyes glazed over like they did in Middle School grammar.

Reply 27 of 29, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only helps if people already know what verbs and nouns are. Unbelievably I came out of secondary schools not knowing, yet getting an A in English at GCSE level.

Reply 28 of 29, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brassicGamer wrote:

Affect signifies that a change IS taking place Effect signifies a change HAS taken place. I think.

😒
Perhaps reading their etymologies may help you getting the concepts behind.
It seems a no brainier for me though

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 29 of 29, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like how one of the meanings of effect as a verb is

Misspelling of affect.

xD
And yeah, I was not entirely right. One can use effect as a verb. That does not seem very common, though, and misspelling affect is the most common sight.