Common searches

What do you drive?

Topic actions

Reply 780 of 918, by sekao

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-08-12, 19:49:

Another Popular car of the 80’s was the Chevy Camero IROC.

Commercial link:
https://youtu.be/pB-AgikWZhs

Beautiful car. Took me way too long to realize that the line in teenage dirtbag was "he drives an IROC" rather than "in Iraq"...

Reply 781 of 918, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chris2021 wrote on 2022-08-13, 05:28:

The LT-1s were capable of towing something like 5000lbs, maybe 6000, with the towing package (a differential w/the proper gear ratios). Not that it was necessarily a good idea according to some. But the vehicle sat lower to the ground and had an actual cast frame so I'm not necessarily seeing why it would be an issue, actually preferable to a truck, which was a bit more top heavy. In theory anyway. But what do I know.

The Caprice, the Roadmaster (91-96) and the Fleetwood (93-96) could be equipped to tow 7000lb, but right axle final drive and gear ratios necessary, which either came with tow package or "commercial" chassis (Typically hearses, though there might have been an ambulance or two). In the regular model they could do 5000lb. Ideally you wanted a load levelling setup to get the weight on the axles because there was a bit of rear overhang.

It was only when these models were gone that the "Only trucks can tow" BS train really got moving, because it was hard to argue when the full size cars had the same damn engine, same damn gearbox, same damn rear axle, same damn rear springs. Typically their brakes were more effective though, because the disks were the same size inside a 15" wheel as the trucks, but the trucks would have 235/75 and the cars maybe 215/70, so there was more leverage working against the brake on the trucks than the cars. Though it's less of a problem with trailer brakes and a brake controller. However, until WELL into the 2010s, they were selling trucks of equivalent HP and worse brakes than larger sedans and other vehicles., sedans stopping in 140ft or so from 60mph, trucks needing 220ft... in other words, stick a modest 3000lb trailer on 'em when the trailer brakes don't work and the sedans can probably reign it in 10s of feet shorter than the trucks could. Assuming decent levelling and sway equipment. Then somehow this makes trucks even more perfect for more weight, given spare GVWR for hitch weight. Sometimes that wasn't the case though, you could option trucks weird, have only 700lb cargo available, yet somehow still be rated to tow 10,000 (Doesn't happen now though since shakeup) meanwhile your vehicle with 1700lb cargo capacity, 50+ft better braking from 60, gets a "token" 1 or 2,000lb tow rating if they bother to rate it at all.

The actual fly in the ointment with this, appears to be the crash testing, passenger vehicles aren't allowed to kill other passenger vehicle occupants when rear-ended, but trucks are. Therefore to have an official tow option it has to be designed as a breakaway piece that goes under the vehicle and doesn't make the impact absorbing zones less absorby, whereas you can have a girder across the back of a truck... though in your econobox you're probably ain't gonna rear end it unless you're really asleep, it's got crappy stopping distance remember. Since it's megabucks to engineer the strong but not too strong offical tow options, they don't bother on vehicles "not for towing" even though up to medium weights at least, they would likely be superior for it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 782 of 918, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-08-14, 03:18:

The Caprice, the Roadmaster (91-96) and the Fleetwood (93-96) could be equipped to tow 7000lb,...
It was only when these models were gone that the "Only trucks can tow" BS train really got moving, because it was hard to argue when the full size cars had the same damn engine, same damn gearbox, same damn rear axle, same damn rear springs. Typically their brakes were more effective though, because the disks were the same size inside a 15" wheel

Almost true. This is why the 'truck' category really starts with 3/4 Tons, considered 'light trucks'. At that level there are no car equivalents. The engine, tranny, axles , brakes, are all significantly beefier. My '06 Duramax will stop within 15' of the Caprice unloaded, and likely shorter at load. The Disc won't fit in a 15" wheel. Significantly more powerful all the while getting better mileage.
The closest GM ever got to building a 'truck' level car was maybe an 80ish Caprice Coupe with a 6.2L. Very strange. I'd like to have one.
The coolest tow setup has to be the beetle with a goose ball on the roof. 360 flexibility! I've thought of doing that to a Fiero. I think it would to a 5th wheel well, no bumper pulls...
And lowering a Truck does make it tow better.
And no, GM never used a Cummins.

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 783 of 918, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

People used to tow everything under the sun w/cars in the 90s and earlier. It was not uncommon to see smaller camper-trailers pulled by sedans in those years. No one as far as I can tell is saying a sedan is an all around replacement for a truck (or van, like my old Chevy g10 1/2 ton). Most of the old cars had cast (or welded?) frames, basically non existent since the mid 90s. And could tow another car at least with ease.

Chevy used some other make of diesel engine for a while. Don't know which it was. As I understand it the first reputable diesel engine made by them was the D*.

Reply 784 of 918, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CwF wrote on 2022-08-14, 04:31:

Almost true. This is why the 'truck' category really starts with 3/4 Tons, considered 'light trucks'. At that level there are no car equivalents. The engine, tranny, axles , brakes, are all significantly beefier. My '06 Duramax will stop within 15' of the Caprice unloaded, and likely shorter at load. The Disc won't fit in a 15" wheel. Significantly more powerful all the while getting better mileage.

Yeah, should really have said I was talking about half tons in the main. Which didn't help the perception problem, since they were egregiously overrated through the noughts until halfway into the tens. So you got "if my F150 can only really do half it's tow rating then your Dodge Magnum can't tow a popup" when it was more like the Dodge Magnum should also be capable of half the F150s tow rating.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 786 of 918, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

“Smokey and the Bandit” and “Rocky” Movie helped make the Pontiac Trans AM popular in the 1970’s , and 80’s

Attachments

Reply 787 of 918, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Demetrio wrote on 2022-08-15, 18:36:

BMW G310 GS

That looks like fun. I used to ride my street bikes in places they really weren't meant to go; I once rode my Suzuki Bandit almost all of the way to Round Valley on Highway 162 in northern California, which is mostly a dirt road in very poor condition. After getting back on pavement, I noticed that the headlight seemed to be vibrating. Once I got home and inspected my bike, I realized that all of that off road riding destroyed the rubber mounts for the fairing! I had to replace them to fix the problem, and I resolved to not ride such long distances on that sort of road again. Much better to do that sort of thing with a bike meant for both.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 788 of 918, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-08-17, 21:21:

“Smokey and the Bandit” and “Rocky” Movie helped make the Pontiac Trans AM popular in the 1970’s , and 80’s

Undeniably a good looking car. And it's a good thing it looked good, because they weren't fast. Even worse, because of California's enhanced smog regulations you couldn't get these cars with a manual four speed here, only the three speed automatic transmission.

Edit: my snip of the performance numbers was repeatedly compressed to the size of a postage stamp, so I'll just copy and paste instead.

"C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 9.3 sec
100 mph: 29.3 sec
1/4 mile: 16.9 sec @ 82 mph
Top speed: 110 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 213 ft"

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparis … omparison-test/

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 789 of 918, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-08-17, 21:21:

“Smokey and the Bandit” and “Rocky” Movie helped make the Pontiac Trans AM popular in the 1970’s, and 80’s

Yep. Don't forget Knight Rider.

My first "Hot Wheels" car (that I can recall) was the 'Smokey & the Bandit'-styled Firebird.

I don't care for the re-styled update used in Rocky with the 'block' headlights (Bandit version looks much better to me), but I did love when Pontiac switched to the hideaway headlamps with the next generation Firebird.

Attachments

• knight_rider.jpg
    Filename
    knight_rider.jpg
    File size
    102.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 790 of 918, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-08-17, 21:42:

BMW G310 GS

That looks like fun. I used to ride my street bikes in places they really weren't meant to go; I once rode my Suzuki Bandit almost all of the way to Round Valley on Highway 162 in northern California, which is mostly a dirt road in very poor condition. After getting back on pavement, I noticed that the headlight seemed to be vibrating. Once I got home and inspected my bike, I realized that all of that off road riding destroyed the rubber mounts for the fairing! I had to replace them to fix the problem, and I resolved to not ride such long distances on that sort of road again. Much better to do that sort of thing with a bike meant for both.

Yeah, in fact I prefer to drive in roads with good conditions, even because I got the A driving license from like 2 months 😅

BTW, it is really a lot of fun 🙂

Reply 795 of 918, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-08-17, 21:42:

BMW G310 GS

I'm always hankering for something like a lower power enduro for "going exploring". Wanna have something road legal for a bit of backroad to get there, then just mosey along down dirt roads and easy trails. I don't want anything too frigging heavy though, both for reasons of maneuverability in close quarters, maybe having to lift it over a downed tree trunk once in a while or something. Then also because I'd like to be able to move it longer haul on a hitch rack. I really like the CT90/CT110s, but they got suddenly too well known to be decent prices (Damn you Aussies for getting a crapton of them as Postie bikes and laughing at this)

Now Ontario is hella strict on bike registrations, they can't be "rebuilt" or have any accident history (Because chop shops were stealing bikes to order to reVIN them etc) which means you don't want anything slightly hinky on a bikes ownership/registration papers if you want it road legal. Meanwhile the savages who seem to own most of the CTs and other bikes of similar stripe (Sold as road legal, but offroadable) maybe have only used them offroad and seem to "lose" ownerships or have one from 20 years and three owners ago, never updated. So yeah, there's bikes out there, but you have to roll a dice on "stolen", "legally unrepairable", "Has dealer lien on it still because never paid off", "okay but you have to chase 3+ former owners down to make the paperwork right" and the unicorn "Have ownership, and it's not out of date, and it's actually in my name at my current address, and btw (whatever condition) this bike is fully "restored" and I am asking $4000+".... I keep thinking it's actually easier to import one.

edt: Yah "restored" don't mean crap any more, it means anything from "I was forced to finally get the mainenance somewhere near up to date and wipe all thr crap off with a rag" through "I had it apart, then I put it back together again, stripping or overtorquing every fastener in the process" to actual nut and bolt white glove inspection and verification of all parts to spec, replacing and rebuilding to actual perfection. IMO the first two are equivalent to runner/survivor unknown condition if optimistic, and 5 years of correcting somebody elses failed project screwups, pessimistically.

Reply 796 of 918, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Earlier in thread I mentioned my 94 R1100GS. Without a doubt one of the best calls I've made. I rode it yesterday, I'll ride it today. Fortunately I broke all the weak links before the unlimited mileage warranty expired. At 2-1/2 years I broke the shaft, 1st in NA they told me. It went back to Germany for inspection. An irritating 3 months later it came back with a fresh drivetrain. I beat 3-4 recalls to the punch, 'Ya, figured that out'. As original owner of the first batch of a new generation it took some faith. Did I mention I'll ride it today.

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 797 of 918, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What is a normal car website for buying second hand cars in the US? In the UK we have https://www.autotrader.co.uk/ which is the general second car sales.

The reason I ask is because I'm getting interested in nissan 300ZX (Z31 - the 80s one) and judging from the mainly US YouTube videos they seem to be dirt cheap over there. Over here they're entering classic car price territory at £10k for a good one.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 798 of 918, by y2k se

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2022-09-17, 09:20:

What is a normal car website for buying second hand cars in the US? In the UK we have https://www.autotrader.co.uk/ which is the general second car sales.

The reason I ask is because I'm getting interested in nissan 300ZX (Z31 - the 80s one) and judging from the mainly US YouTube videos they seem to be dirt cheap over there. Over here they're entering classic car price territory at £10k for a good one.

We have a bunch. A few off the top of my head...
https://www.carvana.com
https://www.cargurus.com
https://www.autotrader.com
https://www.vroom.com
https://www.bringatrailer.com

Tualatin Celeron 1.4 + Powerleap PL-IP3/T, ASUS P2B, 512 MB RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200, Voodoo2 SLI, AWE64, 32GB IDE SSD, Dell 2001FP