Common searches

BUILD Chapter IV: A New Hope

Topic actions

First post, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While in the process of checking on Ken Silverman's VESA-NT Fix (in Deep Thought), I stumbled across these:

GLDuke has a new (temporary) home page and a new programmer:
http://hackerman93045.tripod.com/

Even better is yet another BUILD port. Two big differences when comparing this to the others, though.

1) The last news update is only a few weeks old (as compared to well over a year).

2) He appears to have an almost functional engine (!!)

http://www.hildreds.freeserve.co.uk/GLBuild/index.htm

Update:
Just ran a quick test on this. You can't play at all 🙁 , but you can load up and run through the maps. Lighting is wrong but otherwise it's looking very nice.

Reply 1 of 24, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a quickie. General store from Redneck Rampage:
(Replaced image with one that's less "fat")

Attachments

• build-rr.jpg
    Filename
    build-rr.jpg
    File size
    60.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 24, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

Oooo..that looks sweet. Could you try with FSAA?

Actually, I think had it on, but this was running in a window at 640x480. I'll try to get some better shots and place them in a ZIP file as using JPEG or other compression as that distorts the results.

One thing I wish for right now is support for the "skymap". Right now, all "open, outside areas" are plain white. That ruins a lot of potential snapshots.

Reply 5 of 24, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Wow...are the RR textures REALLY that bad? Geeze...

Phbbt.. You wanna see what the original looks like?
Here's a close-up texture (from Shadow Warrior):

P.S. Don't forget most of the textures in "Redneck Rampage" are supposed to look dilapidated.

Attachments

• texture2.png
    Filename
    texture2.png
    File size
    204.01 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 8 of 24, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Okay, okay, fine. Blah.

Well at least you're in a good mood 😉

One thing I did notice: as the resolution is bumped up and true 3D is applied (instead of the 2.5D viewing), the (lack of) polygons gets pretty noticeable. The important thing is that with true-3D, it'll be a lot easier to pull off that "Shoulder-Launched-Nuclear-Missile-through-the-Teleport-Window" trick in "Shadow Warrior".

Reply 9 of 24, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Between this and Ken Silverman's VESA patch, this news is amazing!
showthread.php?s=&threadid=467

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 10 of 24, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's too bad that the "DoomsDay" engine (JDOOM,etc...) can't handle "room-over-room" maps. Otherwise, someone could fairly easily convert the maps to the "DoomsDay" engine and we could play almost immediately.

I do think that "DoomsDay" gameplay is probably a good indicator of what a true-3D Win32 version of BUILD will give us.

Sprite scaling and height adjustments will look bad, but everything else will skyrocket in terms of quality.

Reply 11 of 24, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seems to me someone could use DoomsDay as the base code and then add the ability to have room-on-room, jumping, ducking, et al that was missing in Doom (and that wasn't added by developers of said program).

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 12 of 24, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Seems to me someone could use DoomsDay as the base code...

The QBlood (or Transfusion=Remake of BLOOD) guys were thinking the same thing and contacted Jaakko, but he said it would be a long time before he tried to add "room over room" functionality.

I suppose someone else could "pick up the ball (source) and run with it", but no volunteers yet...

Reply 13 of 24, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

...Damn...

I hate it when it's so close we can taste it. Still, it's heartening to know that a Win32 port of BUILD that can actually run commercial games is within months-a year of being released.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 14 of 24, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

... it's heartening to know that a Win32 port of BUILD that can actually run commercial games is within months-a year of being released.

Don't jinx it. Getting the maps to load and render properly (with textures) with true 3D is great, but it's still a long way from a functioning game.

Reply 17 of 24, by ericjmz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

followed the advice..here's the generated (attached) vdms log file😕
by the way...with wither blood or redneck,I forget which as I play both (without vdms) on a start screen I see 36 meg of memory..
is there any way I can "put in" anywhere,to give it more memory...I own a gig of memory,& sure would like to use it...

eric

PDfollowed the advice..here's the generated (attached) vdms log file😕
by the way...with wither blood or redneck,I forget which as I play both (without vdms) on a start screen I see 36 meg of memory..
is there any way I can "put in" anywhere,to give it more memory...I own a gig of memory,& sure would like to use it...

PS:
9 out of 10 times I try to post,even when clearly logged on,I get flipped to a page telling me to log-on again...any ideas..?

Attachments

• Filename
    vdms.zip
    File size
    1.28 KiB
    Downloads
    372 downloads
    File license

I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy !

Reply 19 of 24, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote:

ENABLE cookies for this domain.

...and don't open VOGONS pages from hotmail.com messages (their "the site you are visiting is outside hotmail" voodoo fuxors the session ID methinks, under IE at least).

V.