VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 24, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At least the part about eComstation seems true... I doubt a company that can't propperly make and maintain its official website is capable of developping supporting a complex OS.

Reply 21 of 24, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just had a look at the OS4 website. Under the 'supported hardware' section they list all sorts of never-heard-of-it PPC derivative boards with wildly varying support hardware & expansion configs... so why the hell not make it run on old Macs?? Are they worried about it becoming 'too accessible' or what? You can pick up PPC Macs all day long for nothing, they're extremely well made & replacement parts are common as dirt. And the Linux guys figured out how to boot anything you want on them years ago...

I would love to fire OS4 onto my G3 iMac and give it a go. Or imagine it on something like a dual-G4/G5 tower - have one CPU act as a native PPC and use the other one to emulate all the classic Amiga custom chips (& even the 68k if needed.) So much wasted potential market it's not funny.

Yes, I'm aware MorphOS exists but their utterly insane pricing/licensing structure means I would never buy it. Also I tried to get the demo running on an 'officially supported' model of TiBook and it just refused to work for no discernible reason.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 22 of 24, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was it not Morph-OS that were made to run on old Power-Mac's of some sort?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 24 of 24, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I should look into installing linux on my old iMac G3 333mhz version for giggles. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!