VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 25, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been using WinXP and Windows 2000 on the internet every day for years. It's really not a big deal. I'd put Win98 or Win95 on the internet without hesitation.

Use a firewall, a simple NAT router is fine. (does anybody plug their computer directly into the internet in 2015?)
Don't host services on it. Since the NAT shouldn't be forwarding any ports to it, cross this off.
Web browser should have a script blocking plugin or just no script support installed at all, if not needed.
If you don't want viruses, don't install them. Install clean software.

Reply 21 of 25, by Vince.Bloodworks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In January, because the power supply of my main system died, I had to use my old Celeron 600 with win98SE for about 2 months. First I Installed an inofficial service pack for Windows. Next KernelEx to be able to get Firefox 9.x.x to run. It was terribly slow, but it worked better than I thought it would 🤣
There was no firewall installed. AV was AVG free antivirus 7.5

I remember about 7-8 years ago, I used Sygate Firewall + AVG on that same system. But don't ask me for the versions of those ^^
They totally did it for me back then

Reply 22 of 25, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

There are billions of devices online so the changes of being targeted are < 1%

You're overestimating how difficult it is to mass scan the internet and how many attacks are actually targeted to a specific computer.

shamino wrote:

Use a firewall, a simple NAT router is fine. (does anybody plug their computer directly into the internet in 2015?)

While there might be a very simple hardware firewall on my ISP's side, I'm pretty directly connected to the internet. If I was running any vulnerable services (and Windows Firewall allowed them), I would have problems.

A key question is: who cares? When you have no PII on the Windows 9X machine there is nothing of value to be taken by cyber criminals.

If you're connecting it to the internet, it's usually to browse the web. People who browse the web usually store passwords. There you have something worth going after.

Oh and let's not forget that Win9x machines aren't entirely useless as botnet machines either.

Precisely this. I seriously doubt any malware makers are targeting Windows 9X-based systems, if only because of the age.

Specifically targeting, maybe not. Using exploit kits that will hit Win9x all the same? Probably.

I got hit by the WMF exploit when I was running Win7. It would affect Win95 just the same. Except you wouldn't be getting an automatic update to fix the exploit in Win95.

Reply 23 of 25, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:
You're overestimating how difficult it is to mass scan the internet and how many attacks are actually targeted to a specific com […]
Show full quote
PeterLI wrote:

There are billions of devices online so the changes of being targeted are < 1%

You're overestimating how difficult it is to mass scan the internet and how many attacks are actually targeted to a specific computer.

shamino wrote:

While there might be a very simple hardware firewall on my ISP's side, I'm pretty directly connected to the internet. If I was running any vulnerable services (and Windows Firewall allowed them), I would have problems.

A key question is: who cares? When you have no PII on the Windows 9X machine there is nothing of value to be taken by cyber criminals.

If you're connecting it to the internet, it's usually to browse the web. People who browse the web usually store passwords. There you have something worth going after.

Oh and let's not forget that Win9x machines aren't entirely useless as botnet machines either.

Precisely this. I seriously doubt any malware makers are targeting Windows 9X-based systems, if only because of the age.

Specifically targeting, maybe not. Using exploit kits that will hit Win9x all the same? Probably.

I got hit by the WMF exploit when I was running Win7. It would affect Win95 just the same. Except you wouldn't be getting an automatic update to fix the exploit in Win95.

Yeah, I thought some of the previous arguments sounded a bit naive / over optimistic. What you say makes sense.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 24 of 25, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote:

I have heard that because it's so old and no one is using it that it's much safer than Windows XP but being a fairly paranoid person about getting computers infected (I use linux day to day) I'm not sure I see the logic in that.

If you were paranoid enough, you'd have dug a little deeper and figured out 9x isn't safer than XP in any way shape or form, and that on top of 9x being virtually useless for going "online" even under the most liberal interpretation of the word.

If you really must put yourself through this inconvenience, I'd say make sure all ports are closed, use Sygate (firewall), double check downloaded files with a good external AV and relegate the machine to telnet and ftp.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 25 of 25, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lo Wang wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:

I have heard that because it's so old and no one is using it that it's much safer than Windows XP but being a fairly paranoid person about getting computers infected (I use linux day to day) I'm not sure I see the logic in that.

If you were paranoid enough, you'd have dug a little deeper and figured out 9x isn't safer than XP in any way shape or form, and that on top of 9x being virtually useless for going "online" even under the most liberal interpretation of the word.

If you really must put yourself through this inconvenience, I'd say make sure all ports are closed, use Sygate (firewall), double check downloaded files with a good external AV and relegate the machine to telnet and ftp.

Thank you for stating the obvious...

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!