Common searches

Spelling and grammar pet peeves around here

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 76, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One more from me I was just reminded of.

People who say Epsom instead of Epson (Epsom is a suburb of London).

When people say "compact" for Compaq. That's just idiotic. My boss used to do that. I never corrected him but I would shudder every time he did it.

In an almost related tale of woe, I was once 'corrected' by a different boss when I told a supplier that we weren't averse to using VoIP technology for our new phone system. In his next sentence the boss stated that he wasn't 'adverse' either. Sorry, Ed, I'm afraid that's exactly what you were.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 62 of 76, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:

(Epsom is a suburb of London).

Internationally it is a kind of salt.
One of its uses is to relieve constipation.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 63 of 76, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mag Sulfate. Very useful stuff.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_sulfate#Uses

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 65 of 76, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
VileRancour wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/oX7fiqB.jpg […]
Show full quote

oX7fiqB.jpg

Uuuhhhh, wat??? ^^"

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 66 of 76, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JayCeeBee64 wrote:
VileRancour wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/oX7fiqB.jpg […]
Show full quote

oX7fiqB.jpg

Uuuhhhh, wat??? ^^"

I LIKE IT!!! 😁
It'll be free frocks and jollies forever, you'll see!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 67 of 76, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ゴミ means garbage so I guess they misspelled dump. 😜

On topic, I try to differentiate between keyboard-induced misspellings (aka typos - pressing an adjacent key or pressing them out of order) and ignorance-based misspellings. Typos I don't mind much unless they are excessive, but I find blatant misspellings visually annoying.

I mostly see good to excellent spelling & grammar around here so I don't have nay pet peeves particular to Vogons, but I can share some of the ones made by my fellow countrymen that really grind my gears, especially in technology related circles where a decent grasp of English is expected:

• Gratuitous use of apostrophe-s, they put it everywhere! e.g. Dell PC's , Apple Mac's , 80's games
  • Overuse of capitalization, e.g. Compatible with WINDOWS, LINUX and ANDROID
  • There are so many horrible misspellings of the word joystick that it's not even funny.
  • Jack Power (referring to the DC jack on a laptop (sounds like a character straight out of a TV show))
  • Bluethoot
  • CompaqFlash cards
  • Gammers

Surely I'll remember some more after I post this 😵

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 69 of 76, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sometimes it's complicated to write correctly when your native language isn't english and you doesn't use it very often. Personally, I hate translators. They just don't work right. They're maybe usefull for easy things or simple words, but not for complete sentences or texts.

Reply 70 of 76, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ramiro77 wrote:

Sometimes it's complicated to write correctly when your native language isn't english and you doesn't use it very often. Personally, I hate translators. They just don't work right. They're maybe usefull for easy things or simple words, but not for complete sentences or texts.

True. I only use translate features when I'm on some Russian website or forum and even after translation I still have to figure out what is being meant.

Report spammers here!

Reply 72 of 76, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
133MHz wrote:

ゴミ means garbage so I guess they misspelled dump. 😜

捨てる (suteru) means to discard, so yep, safe assumption. 😀

Gratuitous use of apostrophe-s, they put it everywhere! e.g. Dell PC's , Apple Mac's , 80's games

I've come to let it slide when one is trying to pluralise an acronym/abbreviation.

CD's. PC's. I think it's an OK concession when it's possible the reader might assume the 's' is part of the acronym/abbreviation.

Otherwise, yes, apostrophes are used like they're going out of fashion!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 73 of 76, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Omfg.....to all you native english speakers: try typing perfectly dutch, chinese, german, russian etc. Then we talk again, ok?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 74 of 76, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:

Omfg.....to all you native english speakers: try typing perfectly dutch, chinese, german, russian etc. Then we talk again, ok?

To be fair english is not my mother tongue and sometimes I see native english speakers make cringe-worthy mistakes. I don't think this post was aimed at non-native english speakers that make some innocent mistakes here and there.

Reply 75 of 76, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
meljor wrote:

I would never criticise a foreigner speaking my tongue. Besides, there are very many English speakers who have an extremely poor grasp of their mother tongue!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 76 of 76, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brassicGamer wrote:
meljor wrote:

I would never criticise a foreigner speaking my tongue. Besides, there are very many English speakers who have an extremely poor grasp of their mother tongue!

Not only many English speakers...alas, The Netherlands is swarming with them! 🙁

Report spammers here!