Common searches

Game confession!

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 45, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well not just freelook. With mods in (g)zdoom you could have grenade launcher like weapons and lob shells into the head.

I actually used to play the DOOM series with the Doomsday Engine because I was a stupid kid back then.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 42 of 45, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I only play using keyboard. Doesn't feel right to use the mouse. It's best if you play using a 90s style 102key PS/2 keyboard.

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 43 of 45, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oddly, I am still used to play DOOM (and other oldschool FPSes) with the keyboard only. Although I have been playing newer FPSs as well, so I am used to using the mouse in general. But I guess that in every game the scheme that feels the most natural to me is the one I used first, and for DOOM / Build Engine games it was keyboard only.

The original levels were designed before usage of the mouse was prevalent. They are really doable with the keyboard just fine. I imagine that many of the newer "massacre-fest" mega-wads (Hell Revealed and everything inspired by it) would have segments that are very difficult, if not impossible, to do with keyboard only, because you simply cannot turn fast enough to meet the press of the insane number of monsters.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 45 of 45, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Might as well add SOMA to the list of unfinished games. After 3 hours non stop I gave up. I thanked my friend for letting me play at his place and went home.

It wasn't that SOMA didn't try to entice me, I just couldn't find a reason to continue on. In short, I got bored out of my skull 😒 😒

Looks like I'm set on my retro-gaming ways after all. At least I broke my boycott with the PC gaming industry for a brief moment; maybe Megarace Reboot will be the turning point when it comes out. In the meantime I'll continue to check GOG.com in case something else catches my eye.

Ooohh, the pain......