VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was never a fan of the oplX synth circuitry. But yet I wonder how it is emulated nowaday. I've saw an sid chip png pinout schematic on someone here, a german dude that have an amazing computer collection, and it's still at the phd according to it's cv.

My question is how does dosbox emulate that ? does it forward the opl instructions to the gm synth of the host or does it have a pcm "opl" raw DAC ?

Reply 1 of 12, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think early versions of DOSBox may have forwarded to the host's GM synth (can't remember now) but certainly for a number of years DOSBox has included various OPL synths which emulate the chip and produce PCM output. Here is the source code for the latest synth.

Reply 3 of 12, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox is open source, so the full source code is available. You can download it, change it if you want to, then compile it and run it. The link I posted was to the C++ file that emulates the OPL2/3 chip. There are other alternative OPL emulators, but this is one of the most accurate ones.

Yamaha have never released any official design documents for the OPL chips, so all these emulators are approximate. What you see in the code is a close, but not perfect, version of what the physical chips do internally.

Reply 4 of 12, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Malvineous : Capacamod is opensource, I think it is mostly wrote into x86 assembler, could you be so kind to tell me where in the code that player tell it's okay to blink "CHIP" in the screen that this music is a chip tune music... I've searched long and waits that "capaca mod player" source code and never find where is there trigger to flash "CHIP" on the screen. I beleive you can help me, can you ?

tought to find out .. here is someone post the source code in a forum, can you see the "CHIP" blink instruction ? http://www.pouet.net/topic.php?which=4832&page=1

because I cannot and CMOD is me favorite music player

Reply 5 of 12, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not quite sure what you mean - the pouet.net link contains source code for a small mod player that appears to have no output at all, just a window with an OK button. I can't see any reference to "capaca mod" on that page.

Reply 6 of 12, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Malveineous must be the source link have somewhat a link to the way capacaplay can play music : when I search to give you a link, google give me that : http://me.umn.edu/courses/me4231/labs/lab2.pdf

I wanted to show where is played a note. Where the software ask to driver to play something. The gus/awe32 seem very great on the linux 2.4 kernel with alsa drivers.

Reply 8 of 12, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Malvenenous : my understanding is that you are better than me at understanding asm86 code and you will help me know when Flap / capacala (capacamod) decided to blink "chip" in yellow in the top of the screen.

What is a chip music has always been a blurry topic, but I have so much respect to that guy called Flap that I want to know it's understanding.

Will you help me do that, Malvineous, I've put the source code on my ftp, please get it here : http://junkskool.net/ftp/CAPAPLA2.ZIP

Also : Long live the Androthi!

Reply 9 of 12, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a look at the code, but this is for the playback library only. There are no user interface routines in the code you posted, so there is no code to write "chip" on the screen. I'm not sure what program you are using that writes "chip" on the screen, but the source code for that program is not in the .zip file.

Reply 10 of 12, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A "chiptune" is defined by the CapaMod player simply as a song with no sample larger than four kilobytes.

quote from https://resources.openmpt.org/traxweekly/text/TRAXWEEK.013

The definition is arbitrary. Even if it says chiptune, CapaMod (by Heikki I. Ylinen or flap/Capacala) is still just normal mod player so it plays several tracked music formats with samples. With tracked chiptunes, the samples are just very short waveforms sounding like something normally available only on programmable sound chips like SID or something (square, triangle or pulse waves, maybe even sine).

So SID music would be chiptune, NES music would be chiptune, and even in larger sense, OPL FM music would be chiptune, as the chips really generate the waveforms on the fly. On an Amiga, the tracked MOD files are all chiptunes, because that's how the audio hardware natively works, it can just play waveforms from memory under command from the note data.

Reply 11 of 12, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you so much for visiting the code, Malvineous. You confirm and increase what I had in mind about what I think of that music player. My guess is that flap@capacala just never released it's player source, but only the gpl parts as he was asked.

Jepeal : on PC too there can be chiptunes, the samples kind of just being "blip/blap" done with very small random data and used with abuse of reverb and tremolo and whatever was available to produce a lasting samples. That's where all the pleasure to listen to them on a real GUS or EMUxk is. That's why I wonder why Flap considered is a chip tune because he coded my favorite music player that use the gus on ms dos, and of course, hardware is nothing without software.

Reply 12 of 12, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My deepest apology Jepael, I didnt read your quote, I did understand it was from the thread and not from the world. Thank you so very much, I think you appease my mind about that concern.