VOGONS

Common searches

Kind of missing the point of building machines.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 30, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tend to build a machine to play games. It's the combination of hardware fun plus games that makes it worthwhile to me. I like to look around for interesting old games I never played (or never beat) and play them on old hardware. It's something I get into a few times a year I'd say.

Reply 21 of 30, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's mainly about the hardware for me, and although I've stopped building new systems for the most part, there's always something to do on my handful of machines - up to and including playing the odd game 😀

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 22 of 30, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I build computers basically to see their performance, but also for the games basically. When playing games, I can do both at the same time and have fun while at it 😁
Anyway...don't bother running FEAR with an FX 5900U though 🤣

My K6-III system was build around a single Voodoo 2 (because I never had a 3D-only card myself and a friend of mine had a Voodoo 1), solely for playing through the campaign of unreal 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 23 of 30, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depend, but the whole thing of making old pile of junk that many ignorant people says to run as fast as possible and to show it some day to that type of people and just to see the look on their face priceless.....................

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 24 of 30, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The tinkering is sort of fun, but ultimately I do it to play games (we'll leave aside the fact I don't get around to actually doing so that often..).

Part of the interest comes from being able to try out things I couldn't at the time, such as games through a CM32-L/MT32, or using an Aureal3D card rather than a Soundblaster.

Things like optimising DOS to free as much memory as possible is satisfying, but damned irritating. Something I've done once then left well alone.

Reply 25 of 30, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sedrosken wrote:

Who else here has more fun building the machines and testing software on them than playing the games they were built to play?

Computer games don't often hold my attention for more than an hour at a time anymore.

Same here, apart from a few race and sandbox games. I had my peak hours of playing games when I was 12 years old, many years ago..

Reply 26 of 30, by Dystopia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Unreal was awesome with the mighty V5 and Glide. I built a machine just for that game.

So did I, except mine's running an Athlon 64, Geforce 6600GT and a Vortex 2. The idea was to play it with A3D and at 1920x1200 at 60FPS. What's crazy is that there are parts of the game where the framerate will drop to around 40FPS on that set up. So now I'm looking for a faster 9x compatible video card that doesn't cost the Earth.

Reply 27 of 30, by TimMer1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's called "being a technician". 😁

And yes: I recognize it. 😀

"I will take your bones, still alive and in great pain, and make them into a chair. I will call it "My Screaming Chair". Every morning I will sit in it and listen to you scream. Any questions?"

Reply 28 of 30, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No need of Voodoo 5, many enthusiasts says the GEforce FX5xxx series was made from 3Dfx engineers, and the Nglide can be used on FX5900 so it will be better, as the Voodoo 5 have too much requirements for motherboards, and the drivers some times are buggy and other...

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 29 of 30, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

People will want a new thing, and when they have it, their focus will be on wanting a new thing. It's the pursuit and not the settling. It can be useful when it leads to innovation but less so when it's about building old computers for instance. Not that everything done has to be useful.