Common searches

Reply 20 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

I know of 2 persons who got dizzy when playing FPS games and both had no disorders (or they didn't bother to tell me 😜)
Another person I've known for many years even couldn't be in a moving car without having to throw up eventually, but he did finish university.

These are actually two variants/mainfestation of the same neurological disorder, known as "motion sickness". I don't think it's related to aliasing, though. 😀

Exactly, though my point wasn't about motion sickness and aliasing, but about not being able to stand graphics which aren't cutting edge because there's supposedly "something wrong with their heads". They might simply be spoiled brats or people who can't live with anything that's not bleeding edge technology...which is a rather strange phenomenon for a forum that's all about retrogaming 😁

It's about people loving any certain 2016-vintage game right now, but the exact same game will be much too ugly for them to play 5 years from now, even though it's the exact same graphics. That has nothing to do with OCD or anything, but perhaps more about being spoiled or something along these lines.

But thank god this isn't a psychiatry forum 🤣!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21 of 29, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

I just wonder: supposed GPU A has high pixel fill rate but low bandwidth, while GPU B is the exact opposite. All else being equal, which one has better SSAA performance?

Bandwidth is King in GPU's (at least in those without HBM memory 😉).
U can live with low Pixel Fillrate numbers (no high resolution or really high max FPS numbers, but the rest should be fine).
Living without enough bandwidth is REALLY hard (ask guys with 64-bit GDDR3 memory bus on their GPU's or someone with iGPU), because bandwidth limits ALL Fillrates (both Pixel and Texel), at the same time.
The other way to look at it:
What's the point of having many more ROP's/TMU's than other GPU, if U can't use them because getting data to them on time is impossible.
U only waste die space that way.

157143230295.png

Reply 22 of 29, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
agent_x007 wrote:
Bandwidth is King in GPU's (at least in those without HBM memory ;)). U can live with low Pixel Fillrate numbers (no high resolu […]
Show full quote

I just wonder: supposed GPU A has high pixel fill rate but low bandwidth, while GPU B is the exact opposite. All else being equal, which one has better SSAA performance?

Bandwidth is King in GPU's (at least in those without HBM memory 😉).
U can live with low Pixel Fillrate numbers (no high resolution or really high max FPS numbers, but the rest should be fine).
Living without enough bandwidth is REALLY hard (ask guys with 64-bit GDDR3 memory bus on their GPU's or someone with iGPU), because bandwidth limits ALL Fillrates (both Pixel and Texel), at the same time.
The other way to look at it:
What's the point of having many more ROP's/TMU's than other GPU, if U can't use them because getting data to them on time is impossible.
U only waste die space that way.

Intriguing.

Today we have integrated GPU whose pixel rate matches TOTL discrete GPU of the past. For example, the pixel fill rate of GeForce FX 5950 Ultra, a vintage TOTL GPU, is about 1.85 Gigapixel/second, while that of GeForce 310M, a modern integrated GPU, is 2.5 Gigapixel/second. So based on pixel fill rate alone, the 310M wins. But of course, the FX5950 Ultra's memory bandwidth is 30.4 GB/s, while the 310M's is 12.8 GB/s --about half of the former. Perhaps it's the reason why the 310M struggles when AA is activated --in a game as old as Crimson Skies! Now, my GeForce was merely plain 5900 at that time, yet I don't remember having experienced such choppiness when activating AA in Crimson Skies.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 24 of 29, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote:

Isn't a 310M still discrete? Integrated usually means built into the CPU.

Yes... or well, integrated used to mean 'built into the chipset', if we're talking about vintage hardware.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 25 of 29, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GeForce 310M uses system memory, does it count as 'integrated' or 'discrete'?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 26 of 29, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dunno 🤣, but if it's only the RAM that isn't discrete, then I suppose it's only the memory that's discretely integrated (like i740, but that one had memory on the board because...well...I dunno really 🤣)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 27 of 29, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Dunno 🤣, but if it's only the RAM that isn't discrete, then I suppose it's only the memory that's discretely integrated (like i740, but that one had memory on the board because...well...I dunno really 🤣)

Ah, Intel i740 🤣 Made to show how fast AGP is, yet the PCI version is faster. 🤣

Reply 29 of 29, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote:

I would've thought 310M wouldn't be "vintage." 😜

Wait, the vintage TOTL is the GeForce 5900, while the 310M is the modern low-end.