VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 22, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's one awesome e-reader there. I've had a classic Kindle (6th gen I think, it was the last with physical buttons and no touch). They are great for lots of reading, but not anything else. You can't run any apps on them besides the ones that come bundled. Gave it to a aunt that loves reading since I hadn't been using frequently. The only downside is the lack of native .pdf support - since the screen resolution is low, images were kinda blurry. For pure text it's perfect.

If you need something for solely reading, go for a e-reader (Kindle, Kobo Glo, etc). If you need anything else, get a tablet.

I've just recently bought an Lenovo Thinkpad 8. It's x86-equipped (a quad-core Atom), 2GB RAM, 64GB storage (plus a microSD port that allows up to 2TB cards) and W8.1 Pro. The screen is a nice 8" @ 1920x1200. You can plug it into a powered USB 3.0 hub (it does communication and power through a single port) and plug a myriad stuff into it - since it runs a full-blown OS you can do almost anything. It also have a microHDMI port for video out, I think you can get two images from the tablet's screen + monitor, so you can use it as a desktop replacement. Pretty good bang for the buck.

Reply 22 of 22, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

One would think you could get an 8 or 10" e-reader for 150-200 USD, but I don't know that market so well.

I have BIG hands. The large 6" phones feel almost small in my hands, so something 13" is going to fit better. (that's what she said)

I'm fairly certain i will be happy no matter what I get. If the IRS website can be believed I should get my refund sometime next week. So I have a little more time to mull it over.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.