VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This topic has been partially covered before, but I am considering it in a broader perspective: How about those smaller systems based on AMD APUs and the intel Atom.

This is what I know to be Windows XP SP3 compatible:

• Intel 6 series chipsets, such as Z68. For Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUs. I do advise to not use the very latest v145111 graphics driver from Intel, but v14469 for example.
  • Same is told for Intel 7 series chipsets, but I am not sure if that also covers Intel USB 3.0.
  • MSFN user 'blackwingcat' was working on getting Windows 2000 running on an Intel Haswell system. But this is experimental at best.
  • XP runs on the lowly Intel Atom N270 and N280 of course. How about later Atom systems? N2000 and D2000 seemingly have drivers.
  • AMD Brazos E-350 and E-450 are told to be compatible, they have a Radeon 6xxx series integrated graphics.
    How about the successor of this series?
  • Some of the Vortex 86 SOC systems are told to run XP, but it will not be much of a multi-media experience.

What is the latest from VIA in this regard?
What is the latest regarding the Nvidia and Radeon Graphics cards? Radeon 6xxx is working very well for me. IIRC all hybrid graphics laptop systems are trouble (Nvidia Optimus).

Specific rule in this topic: No advocacy for or against Windows XP!

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 1 of 29, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

(Deleted. No longer relevant anyway)

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2019-08-15, 05:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 2 of 29, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:

[*]AMD Brazos E-350 and E-450 are told to be compatible, they have a Radeon 6xxx series integrated graphics.
How about the successor of this series?

Great idea Gerwin!

I have recently put XP on a notebook with the E-300 APU. While the manufacturer didn't supply XP driver, you can manually "hunt them down", or use tool such as Driver Booster to find it for you.

Performance was a bit mediocre, quite a bit slower than a Pentium 4 with 6600 GT.

I don't have anything newer / faster to test I'm afraid.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 29, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am using a AMD A10-7800 APU and a Asus A88X based motherboard. And windows XP works just fine, for everyday use and for gaming. And i dual boot it with Windows 7 and even can play Wolfenstein New Order with it. I bought it with balance in compadibility, speed and power usage in mind.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 5 of 29, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

[*]Same is told for Intel 7 series chipsets, but I am not sure if that also covers Intel USB 3.0.

Intel USB 3.0 just works in XP as 2.0. Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V.
Celeron G1620 (Ivy bridge) - there are Intel graphics drivers for XP.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 6 of 29, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Running on my main machine here [DOS, XP, 7x32, 7x64, and 10] but I just hosed my XP install, though it was running just fine on this hardware config:

Motherboard: ASRock FM2A85X Extreme6, with 8GB Ripjaw-Z 2133 ram @1866
CPU: AMD A10-5800k
GPU: Nvidia GTX 460 768mb
Audio: Aureal Vortex 2 (MX300 for dev work currently, otherwise it's the CMI8788 Razer Barracuda)

Reply 7 of 29, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zyga64 wrote:

Intel USB 3.0 just works in XP as 2.0. Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V.

In that case the haul of Z68 boards, that I obtained at the time, are about the best compromise. Since they support Ivy Bridge CPUs just fine and have 3rd-party E-tron USB 3.0 with drivers for XP. Though I don't have any USB 3.0 devices to test.

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I have recently put XP on a notebook with the E-300 APU. While the manufacturer didn't supply XP driver, you can manually "hunt them down", or use tool such as Driver Booster to find it for you.
Performance was a bit mediocre, quite a bit slower than a Pentium 4 with 6600 GT.
I don't have anything newer / faster to test I'm afraid.

That is good news, thanks for trying that. Such systems may be usefull as HD video streamer/player, and would be nice to have the option of installing XP. I found that a successor of these AMD E-series, like the AMD APU R-464L (2300 MHz, HD 7660G) is also sold as supporting Windows XP. Though the availability of these AMD R-series seems less, plus I am actually confused with the whole AMD APU lineup since their E-series...
I agree that the CPU power itself is the weakest link here. My Intel Atom N280 is even worse. That is why it should be more future-proof to obtain at least the highest clocked E-450, or a newer series APU.

Cyberdyne wrote:

I am using a AMD A10-7800 APU and a Asus A88X based motherboard. And windows XP works just fine

That sounds like a nice option for sure. Now I wonder how the A-series fits next to the E-Series and R-Series...

Here is that similar thread from two months ago: Vogons: Fastest Windows XP System. An interesting bit, though I doubt that it included the intel Graphics driver:

Roman78 wrote:

I used a Haswell i3-4150 on an Asus H81M-K H81 with XP and that one is working fine. Bought that for a gaming PC for the son of a co-worker. Although Asus doest have XP drivers on there site, I managed to get it all working.

Eventually I will try to edit the first post as to make it a complete summary of this topic.
Anyone have experience with the Radeon 7xxx and 8xxx series in XP? I have some indications that the Radeon 6xxx is actually the most retro game friendly (See problems with Populous III), but with the current APU integration there is often no choice in the matter.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 8 of 29, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

What is the latest regarding the Nvidia and Radeon Graphics cards? Radeon 6xxx is working very well for me. IIRC all hybrid graphics laptop systems are trouble (Nvidia Optimus).

AFAIK the latest GeForce that supports XP is GTX 780, though I haven't got any chance to test it myself. However, SLI is no longer supported since GTX 680 (Kepler) generation. I can safely say Tesla generation GPU works well for most old games I play, even a game as old as MDK works well with Tesla, maxed AA and AF and the likes.

As for laptop, mine is a Lenovo B460. It has GeForce 310M (Tesla-generation) GPU, and it doesn't have the accursed Optimus, so you can use its nVidia GPU with XP.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 29, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I got :
CPU : i7 3820 @ 5GHz
RAM : 8GB (3,44GB usable) @ 2GHz CL8.9.8.24 CR1T
MB : Sabertooth X79
GPU : GTX 780 Ti @ 1098GHz/7400MHz (1241MHz with max. Turbo)
Sound : Xonar Essence ST Dlx.
HDD ST2000DL003 (no AHCI drivers...)

and I can bench it with 3DMark's on WinXP :
'03 : LINK,
'05 : LINK,
'06 : LINK.

157143230295.png

Reply 10 of 29, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had the E-350 APU myself. Was running in my last computer incl. XP as main OS.
Worked like a charm. The drivers that came with it had a cool feature to convert video files (using the APU).
And it had AMD-V which was nice to have for VMs (it was my main PC afterall, so this was important to me).

I don't have got a GF 900 series card myself right now,
but apparently ForceWare 361.91 supports some of them on XP and XP64.
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResult … spx/98897/en-uk
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResult … spx/98915/en-uk

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 11 of 29, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:

no AHCI drivers...

X79 still have IDE compatibility mode?
No AHCI drivers at all? They aren't included to the Intel Chipset INF version for X79?
Tnx.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 13 of 29, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote:

X79 still have IDE compatibility mode?

Yes, and actually I'm using "Enhanced IDE mode" (there is a "Compatible Mode" as well) 😀

I don't think Intel write a AHCI driver for XP.

157143230295.png

Reply 14 of 29, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Intel did write a AHCI driver called iaStor.sys. Its likely the last revision for XP will work with later chipsets by editing the iaAHCI.inf file with new PCI device IDs.

http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Enable_ACHI_on … nder_Windows_XP

UniATA should work as well, although I have never tried it with Windows XP.

Reply 16 of 29, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its certainly worth a shot, after all AHCI is supposed to be one of those generic/universal driver standards. Intel appears to have made an official release for X79 boards for Windows Server 2003 32/64-bit, so its likely that driver works on XP too.

http://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-RST-RSTe- … HQL-v-WHQL.html

Pre-modded drivers for unsupported newer chipsets: http://www.win-raid.com/t11f23-Modded-Intel-A … lly-signed.html

Reply 17 of 29, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, X79 is very esoteric platform. Another Intel's "we need a new non-compatible CPU socket". Socket8, Socket423, Socket1156, Socket1356 etc. Still - Win2003 support is present.
The last "official" WinXp compatible RST is 11.0.0.1032 IIRC.
Supported devices are:
[INTEL_HDC.ntx86]
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Install, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Install, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Install, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104
%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Install, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104
Not sure if Z77/H77 etc are supported "from the box"...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 18 of 29, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NJRoadfan wrote:

Intel did write a AHCI driver called iaStor.sys. Its likely the last revision for XP will work with later chipsets by editing the iaAHCI.inf file with new PCI device IDs.

http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Enable_ACHI_on … nder_Windows_XP

UniATA should work as well, although I have never tried it with Windows XP.

Thanks alot! Eventhough it's not X79 specific, having ICH9 support on XP is pretty useful.
On the Lunarsoft wiki, the link for the "32-bit Floppy Configuration Utility for Intel Matrix Storage Manager"
is nolonger valid, though. The Intel page brings up an error message.
Closest thing I found there was "AHCI: F6 Floppy Disk Utility for AHCI".
It will give you a zip file instead of an .exe (.ima). It contains the needed files.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//