VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, I bought a Sound BLaster 16 CT2230 on Ebay. I tested it and it doesn't work.
I had previous SB16 soundcards and installed them, installed drivers, etc. It is not the first time I do this.
The thing is, I turn the computer on, and it says that the Sound Card is not recognised. I take the Soundcard out to check it and
it is boiling at an specific point, I think is the voltage regulator. I turn the Soundcard over and it has a kind of brown stain, from the heat probably, as if that was the spot that burned,
which is just behind of what appears to be the voltage regulator.
I've checked pictures on Ebay of the soundcard and I see that it has the same burning mark, the same brown stain.
I have contacted the seller, he is being helpful and telling me to check drivers, IRQ, jumpers, etc...but I think that the soundcard is in reality faulty from the symptoms I see.
What do you guys think? Do you think that it could actually be repaired by changing the voltage regulator or the capacitors?
BTW the listing stated that the card was "tested and working"
Pictures:

24748228299_c804c8baca_h.jpg
25022640411_4cde9f5425_h.jpg

Last edited by Pingaloka on 2016-02-18, 22:36. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 2 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is no way to tell for sure that only changing the LM340T5 would fix things, maybe because it shorted inside something else got killed too...
Also the card really needs a cood cleaning before anything else, I see humidity corrosion everywhere...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 12, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

There is no way to tell for sure that only changing the LM340T5 would fix things, maybe because it shorted inside something else got killed too...
Also the card really needs a cood cleaning before anything else, I see humidity corrosion everywhere...

Yes you're right, the card is in pretty bad shape.

Reply 4 of 12, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Visually, based on the top-side picture, that sound card doesn't look in the best of shape. In my experience, if I can demonstrate to a seller that a product advertised as working is non-operational, they typically give a refund and don't ask for the product back. Let a few others on here provide their feedback, then if you're sure it is a bad card, send a link to this thread to the seller. I bet he or she does the right thing.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 12, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most likely that regulator generates analog +5V for the board from 12V input.
And most likely the regulator is fine, as there could be some fault or short circuit on the regulator output which consumes a lot of current and the regulator will heat up.

Some PCB traces look very rusty, I hope they are not completely corroded away at points.

Reply 7 of 12, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that the voltage regulator was going bad, because of bad capacitors / resistors.. Try to replace every resistor / capacitor around / thats connected to the voltage regulator, and replace also that VRM.

Also the traces on the PCB looks over all bad.

First remove all the dust particles, then try to see the damage.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 8 of 12, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:

I think that the voltage regulator was going bad, because of bad capacitors / resistors.. Try to replace every resistor / capacitor around / thats connected to the voltage regulator, and replace also that VRM.

Also the traces on the PCB looks over all bad.

First remove all the dust particles, then try to see the damage.

The board would be a great refurb project, but the better option is to lodge a Significantly Not As Described claim with eBay and get the $$ back. Sometimes people get their claims decided before being made to return the item, and if the seller doesn't want it back then maybe get to work.

Is the 2230 particularly rare or hard to come by?

Reply 9 of 12, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not rare at all, and they actually have one of the best-sounding filters.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 10 of 12, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would get in touch with the seller... and tell him that he is a naughty boy!

He should understand and stop being naughty, and if not, eBay will return your payment.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 11 of 12, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, thanks for the help. The seller refunded me. He was really nice. A pitty the soundcard doesn't work.

Nevertheless, I'm going to check capacitors, check any cold welds and see if I can fix it!!
I'll let you know!

Reply 12 of 12, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The pics are not loading for me right now, but the course of action stands regardless: one bloated capacitor = all of them gone.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9