Ironic Spam

Topic actions

First post, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, the irony of receiving this message to an address for VOGONS:

Hello Internet Friend, It's finally here! 24/7 Computer Tech Support. Whatever problem you have with your computer, whene […]
Show full quote

Hello Internet Friend,

It's finally here!

24/7 Computer Tech Support. Whatever problem you have with your computer, whenever, you will have access to professional solutions @ a little over a dollar a day.

It's International with 7 languages. VOIP chat rooms for any areas that can not access the toll free #.

If you choose the income opportunity you will find it very lucrative. I will also show you how you can have FREE service 24/7.

This is a proven system, with an optional income opportunity. No sponsoring is required ! Just use the HI-Demand service that we all need from time to time. That's it.

For your invitation Click Here

To Be Removed

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not even this?:

Return-Path: <oxpaper@163.com>
Received: from 163.com ([61.130.148.73])
by XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (8.10.2/8.10.2) with SMTP id g8RGUBY26357
for <XXX@XXXXXXX.XXX>; Fri, 27 Sep 2002 17:30:13 +0100
Message-Id: <200209271630.g8RGUBY26357@XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>
Reply-To: [email]zjh@oxpaper.com[/email]
To:
Subject: We're chinese manufacturer of paper, the price is very low.
Sender: <oxpaper@163.com>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="GB2312"
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 00:29:56 +0800
X-UIDL: 2T>!!2:S!!pf\!!Z@*!!
Dear Sir and Madam, […]
Show full quote

Dear Sir and Madam,

Good day!

We sincerely hope our e-mail has no bother with you, and hope to enter business relation between you and us through this e-mail.

We'd like to introduce ourselves to you simply, we're a leader exporter & manufacturer of paper in China. The products include all paper for packing, printing and cultural use. The prices of our products are very low, we believe it must meet your market, and you could visit our website ( http://www.oxpaper.com ) to get more information on our products.

We'd like to send sample to you for your reference if you inform us your address detail.

Your reply will be highly appreciated.

Best regard

Andy Wang
OX PAPER CO., LTD.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Not even this?...

Pretty close, but seeing that they're from China automatically elicits a certain amount of sympathy. The Internet is probably the only way they can get out-of-country business.

Reply 6 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Why couldn't China's government block MY domain?

I'm sure they could, but it gets into the question of how much is it worth to them to put forth the effort. Their government (and their society as well) is really not sure what to do with concept of the free exchange of information.

They know the Internet is a helpful tool, but they're also suspicious of it as a tool of corruption (capitalism). I think they'll come around someday. It's just that China is slow to change. Very slow. (Not that it's always bad to be slow to change).

Reply 9 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You were talking about China's government blocking domains (hence: The Great Firewall of China)

Read this article on CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/09/12/china.google.ap/

See?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 11 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wish it were mine to claim. 🙁

Google Groups traces the term back to at least 1996.
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22The+Grea … rt=100&filter=0

It obviously existed in the tech sector before that, but I'm not too keen on tracing it.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto