VOGONS

Common searches

Most underrated games?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by DosDaddy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

+1 TDR2000, and incidentally I just happen to be going through it again.

It's primarily a DRIVING game (and indeed the rides steer a whole lot better) "adorned" with classic Carma elements such as car/ped bashing and outrageous physics that allow for amazingly fun stunts. And even that wouldn't be fair to say because these elements are indeed available, fully functional and somewhat more refined as compared to the older titles, it's just that the game pushes you to develop your driving skills in order to efficiently accomplish whatever task they set before you (exactly the opposite of what the previous Carma's did), which expect the player to just check their brains at the door and have them mindlessly roam from one place to another running over peds to keep the timer going forever in some sort of "bloodlust stupor" till they decide to call it a day and proceed to waste the opponents to get to the next race, which I admit I did innumerable times and actually enjoyed.

Is it a perfect game? of course not, but most of the hate it gets comes from people who were expecting Carma2 with better graphics, which thing it absolutely is not.

Remember also to install the official updates and use the -fulltextures switch for a noticeably improved look.

Attachments

• TDR2000.png
    Filename
    TDR2000.png
    File size
    476.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22 of 26, by titsmcgee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AidanExamineer wrote:

G-Nome, the 1997 hybrid mech sim by 7th Level.

It's a respectable mech sim, but with so many other things that elevate it above "coaster of the year" status (which apparently is what it was called by some publications). The story and voice acting is great, and the ability to get out of your mech and hijack other mechs (years and years before MechAssault 2), or even enter buildings, or use communications trickery to impersonate the enemy.

Judged as a mech sim, it's perfectly rated. Judged as a game that combines elements of Halo and MechAssault 2 in 1997 I think it's a very good game.

I agree. its a very fun game hardly anyone knows of.

Reply 23 of 26, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hate to necro-post, but there is this:

HardWar

The best Elite knock-off that nobody played that was actually much better than Elite.

(I say this as a huge fan of Ian Bell's and David Braben's original Elite, and Braben's Frontiers and First Encounters sequels.)

Edit: Removed links to Captain Zedo's HardWar site to avoid issues. Search him out yourself using the Duck or the Google. He is the only thing keeping this obscure title alive.

Reply 24 of 26, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
titsmcgee wrote:
AidanExamineer wrote:

It's a respectable mech sim, but with so many other things that elevate it above "coaster of the year" status (which apparently is what it was called by some publications). The story and voice acting is great, and the ability to get out of your mech and hijack other mechs (years and years before MechAssault 2), or even enter buildings, or use communications trickery to impersonate the enemy.

Judged as a mech sim, it's perfectly rated. Judged as a game that combines elements of Halo and MechAssault 2 in 1997 I think it's a very good game.

I agree. its a very fun game hardly anyone knows of.

Really enjoyed that game! It even spawned a sequel of sorts with the RTS game Dominion: Storm over Gift 3, which also deserved better than it got. It was lost in the massive amount of post-C&C RTS releases, but it had a cool story, nice graphics and music and a couple of interface features that were ahead of it's time.

Reply 25 of 26, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
217825-magic-the-gathering-battlegrounds-windows-front-cover.jpg
Filename
217825-magic-the-gathering-battlegrounds-windows-front-cover.jpg
File size
190.12 KiB
Views
File license

Magic the Gathering: Battlegrounds

This is a game that didn't sell well and was critically panned as far as I remember but my friend and I were both addicted to playing 2 player against each other for at least a month. For that month it was the greatest game ever made to us.

It is essentially a real-time magic duel. You build your deck before the game then the combat plays out in real time. It plays a lot like a sports game due to the limited field of play. If you give it a try play through the single player with a friend, then plug in 2 joysticks and try out all your strategies against each other. The multiplayer is truly where this game came alive for me.

They released a patch after a couple months but it only contained mostly end game cards which didn't really give any new strategies for the early game unfortunately. I know it will never happen but I would love to see someone try again with this game design.

275224-magic-the-gathering-battlegrounds-windows-screenshot-ihsan.gif
Filename
275224-magic-the-gathering-battlegrounds-windows-screenshot-ihsan.gif
File size
151.02 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 26 of 26, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AidanExamineer wrote:

The feature list sounds very impressive, but from what I read, the worst part of the game is its controls.

Makes me remember ATAC: War On Drugs. It has interesting concept, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. For example, the Apache helicopter is so sluggish and wobbly, that you would die by crashing to the ground most of the time. Too bad, if executed properly, ATAC would have been a great game.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.