VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is the real deal. For any Descent fans out there, this is a call-to-arms to help get this thing funded. All details can be read on their Kickstarter, here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/revivalp … -freedom-shoote

They have released a demo to backers and are releasing it to the public this coming Momday. Having played it, I can say it is quite legit.

Be advised - there are only a few days left in the Kickstarter.

Reply 1 of 53, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is relevant to my interests.
The dev team on this is like an all-star cast from the original Descent community back in the '90s. And I *love* how they're using an updated cube engine.

Also it's multi platform, with on-release-day Mac & Linux support promised! Anyone who's read the other thread I've been posting in lately can guess how I feel about that. 😀

I don't have a Kickstarter account and am slightly annoyed that I'd need to make one just to back one thing, but I might just do that!

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 53, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:
This is relevant to my interests. The dev team on this is like an all-star cast from the original Descent community back in the […]
Show full quote

This is relevant to my interests.
The dev team on this is like an all-star cast from the original Descent community back in the '90s. And I *love* how they're using an updated cube engine.

Also it's multi platform, with on-release-day Mac & Linux support promised! Anyone who's read the other thread I've been posting in lately can guess how I feel about that. 😀

I don't have a Kickstarter account and am slightly annoyed that I'd need to make one just to back one thing, but I might just do that!

Well, I would highly encourage you do to so. I really want to see this succeed! I recently more than doubled my original pledge amount.

Reply 4 of 53, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MrEWhite wrote:

Looks like it might not get funded though.

Which is why I'm here, soliciting your help!

Also, they're releasing a playable teaser tomorrow. I will update this post with the download link. They're pushing it out to the press with the hopes that it will generate enough interest to fund the project.

Reply 7 of 53, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've backed! This looks much more like classic Descent than Descent: Underground which has the official name.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 8 of 53, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've played the teaser a bit, everything is cool. The original game's mechanics and level design principles are all there, but somehow the pacing felt more slow-ish - although maybe I shouldn't have maxed out the graphics settings.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 9 of 53, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Backed.

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 10 of 53, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Digi edition + soundtrack backed.

I probably have more hours into Descent 1 & 2 than any other game out there.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 11 of 53, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pledge upped to $90 suckas. That's like $120 in my local dollars and I haven't even played the preview yet.

If this gets kickstarted it will be the single most expensive game I've ever bought or probably ever will buy. I dare you all to make my wallet regret that.

Reply 12 of 53, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I tried the teaser ... on my Pentium 4. 😜 First impressions:

- It's a proper Descent game. I remapped all the controls to my old scheme and the flying felt *right* at home. Even though I was playing with the keyboard I had no trouble getting around.
- Some of the AI is SCARY good even at this early stage. The first time you get lunged at by one of those buzz saw things...
- They'd better give me my automap in the full version. 😎
- It looks awesome. I could tell it was a cube engine, like D1 & 2, and I love that, but it looks *really* nice already. I had virtually all the gfx options turned up and it was fully playable, if you consider 20~30 FPS playable. See above about me running it on a 13-year-old P4 that came out when Descent *3* was still kinda-current.
- I instantly recognized the style of level design. If you were at all into the Descent modding scene when D1 & D2 were hot shit, you *know* the significance of having Luke Schneider on board as the designer.
- I died. On easy. 😜 But yeah, it's 4 AM and I was playing with the keyboard.

xjas's overall score: 10 out of 5 angry robots. I *want* this game to be.

Reply 13 of 53, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This looks much more like Descent than that other kickstarter: Descent: Underground. That one seems to focus more on the multiplayer, while this one focuses on the single player. I hope it makes a final surge, but I'm not sure it is going to make it.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 15 of 53, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

xjas, how did you manage to get the demo playable on a P4? It seems like my Q6700/HD4870X2 combo is not enough for it 🙁 It feels like 10-15FPS and the screen goes black with greenish yellow dots from time to time...

Reply 16 of 53, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have to admit I'm never comfortable with 6DOF shooters. Even a full HOTAS setup doesn't really solve control problems in such game. I usually use throttle for forward and backward movement, stick for pitch and roll, and rudder pedals for yaw, but I still couldn't find ideal controller axis for lateral movement, either vertically (up down) or horizontally (left right). Until now, I've been using hat for such movement, but it isn't very comfortable nor precise.

It should be noted that no real-life vehicle has Descent-like freedom of movement though.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 17 of 53, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

I have to admit I'm never comfortable with 6DOF shooters. Even a full HOTAS setup doesn't really solve control problems in such game.

I totally feel the same way, but it is possible. There is a guy on Youtube which plays totally awesome, and he uses keyboard only! You can see his control configuration here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk_EKluatPM

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

It should be noted that no real-life vehicle has Descent-like freedom of movement though.

That's why it's so amazing. It would be a totally awesome thing if it existed. The ultimate vehicle. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 18 of 53, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A ROV have the same movement options when its submerged in water. They're controlled with a HOTAS style setup.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 19 of 53, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

xjas, how did you manage to get the demo playable on a P4? It seems like my Q6700/HD4870X2 combo is not enough for it 🙁 It feels like 10-15FPS and the screen goes black with greenish yellow dots from time to time...

I dunno, it just ran fine. It's a 3 GHz/800 FSB with hyperthreading, 2GB DDR and an AGP HD3850.
The machine is my "arcade cabinet" and uses a big SDTV for display via s-video, so it's running in 640x480. I selected "medium" shadows in the launcher but all the in-game graphics options are on/full.

Maybe 20-30 FPS was a little optimistic, but certainly getting 15-30. My original Descent 1 & 2 machine was a 5x86/100 for a long time so this is faster than that. 😁

Last edited by xjas on 2016-03-08, 18:26. Edited 1 time in total.