VOGONS

Common searches

Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1740 of 2072, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Grabbed this pointless black double wide ATX server case with a massive 240mm radiator attached to the top and some watercooling blocks, tubes and reservoir installed. For... reasons.

01.jpg
Filename
01.jpg
File size
69.24 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
02.jpg
Filename
02.jpg
File size
72.9 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
03.jpg
Filename
03.jpg
File size
123.44 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1742 of 2072, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote on 2022-11-21, 07:23:

I have like a DOZEN boards I can think to put into a box like that....

My GUESS is it was originally built to run an EVGA Classified SR-2 as the waterblocks seem to be for LGA1366.

Reply 1743 of 2072, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not a hardware, but a tool. I got myself a new soldering station. The soldering iron I had was the cheapest and crappiest thing possible. Directly plugged into the wall socket and there was no way to control it's temperature. It took an eternity to heat up, then quickly overheated. It was very difficult to do even the most basic jobs with it. The new one is still nothing special, just a decent low-end station.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 1744 of 2072, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I upgraded from a 9700k to a 12700k, and was summarily punished for trying to have fun.

IMG_0837.jpg
Filename
IMG_0837.jpg
File size
1.17 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I sincerely hate Tempered glass. I hate that half of the cases you could want to use are geared towards showing off the LEDs that I don't even have.
Cleaning up took longer than putting the damn thing together and installing windows combined.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 1745 of 2072, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tempered glass is so fucking dumb.. Plexi was kind of agreeable but this trend needs to end. Enjoy your 12700K btw. Personally I would have waited for the black friday deals and gone for AM5 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1746 of 2072, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2022-11-24, 06:40:

Tempered glass is so fucking dumb.. Plexi was kind of agreeable but this trend needs to end. Enjoy your 12700K btw. Personally I would have waited for the black friday deals and gone for AM5 😀

I made the choice consciously. I've had issues with certain older games not wanting to run on my old Ryzen 1700, and was able to use the 32GB of DDR4 in my current system to save a nice $150 immediately. I was also able to find a z690 board that had PS/2 for my Model M, so I'm happy about that.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 1747 of 2072, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BetaC wrote on 2022-11-24, 07:06:
appiah4 wrote on 2022-11-24, 06:40:

I made the choice consciously. I've had issues with certain older games not wanting to run on my old Ryzen 1700, and was able to use the 32GB of DDR4 in my current system to save a nice $150 immediately. I was also able to find a z690 board that had PS/2 for my Model M, so I'm happy about that.

Enjoy man. 😀 I upgraded from a 2600 to 5600X recently, keeping the B450 board and DDR4 RAM was a factor for me as well.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1748 of 2072, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tempered glass has pros and cons. It shatters, but don't get scratched as easily as plexi. It also doesn't need lighting to show of the contents, just like with watches for example.
Seiko-Presage-Display-Caseback-.jpg

Reply 1749 of 2072, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a nick somewhere or got hit on low quality tempered glass. The digitizer glass on phones and tablet is properly tempered, and take lot of stress, can be bent over 50 degrees before breaking, till it get scratched will start crack into several cracks, but not shatter into little pieces like you have. This little pieces is indication of low quality glass overly brittle or not annealed.

Get a good quality smoked glass from glass shop.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1750 of 2072, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-11-25, 01:32:

Got a nick somewhere or got hit on low quality tempered glass. The digitizer glass on phones and tablet is properly tempered, and take lot of stress, can be bent over 50 degrees before breaking, till it get scratched will start crack into several cracks, but not shatter into little pieces like you have. This little pieces is indication of low quality glass overly brittle or not annealed.

Get a good quality smoked glass from glass shop.

Cheers,

I’m just gonna use the back side door that I already ordered, but thanks. I’m perfectly content with nothing being visible but air flowing well.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 1751 of 2072, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-11-24, 08:16:
Tempered glass has pros and cons. It shatters, but don't get scratched as easily as plexi. It also doesn't need lighting to show […]
Show full quote

Tempered glass has pros and cons. It shatters, but don't get scratched as easily as plexi. It also doesn't need lighting to show of the contents, just like with watches for example.

Isn't that sapphire crystal used on that watch?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1752 of 2072, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-11-25, 13:16:
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-11-24, 08:16:
Tempered glass has pros and cons. It shatters, but don't get scratched as easily as plexi. It also doesn't need lighting to show […]
Show full quote

Isn't that sapphire crystal used on that watch?

Seiko doesn't use sapphire. Sadly. That's one of the few faults I find with their watches and that's why I specifically used an image of a Seiko Presage. They use a proprietary mineral crystal they call hardlex.
https://theslenderwrist.com/hardlex-crystal/

Reply 1753 of 2072, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought my first USB-C thumb drive today. Nothing too flashy (ha?), just the cheapest 128GB SanDisk I could find. Cheap, because I don't even trust the highest-end flash drives with important data. No, for that, I always bust out the external HDD or do a network transfer.

For quick and dirty file transportation though, the cheap little SanDisk is absolutely fine and writes surprisingly quickly. The best part is that it doesn't require a dongle to talk to my freakishly thin work laptop, a Dell "I-don't-care-for-USB-A" XPS 13. Bloody fantastic.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 1754 of 2072, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some cheap drives are better than others I guess. I picked up a couple of Kingston Data Traveller DT50 something like 2 years ago. The Data Traveller line were cheep and good and the drive itself gave a great sense of quality in hand. But it has serious overheating and throttling issues.

Reply 1755 of 2072, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Talking about flash drives just made me think about the one I have been carrying around for installing anti-malware software, drivers and other diagnostic stuff for many years. It's one of the old black and teal colored rubberized Corsair Flash Voyager drives. I bought it in May of *drum roll*... 2007! It went through the wash a year or two after I got it, and it survived with no problems. It still has no issues at all, other than being 2GB and fairly slow, but it is honestly rarely an issue for what I use it for. I don't dump 500MB graphics drivers on the poor thing.

I like it for a rather odd reason. The grippy rubber shell and the lack of any sliding mechanism means that it always just goes firmly right into a USB port without fiddling around. A lot of the sliding ones tend to collapse when inserted and that's just irritating, especially when working with unfamiliar computers. Amazingly, I have never lost the little rubber cap for it either, though I was pretty sure I did once. It has been to so many people's houses and been plugged into so many computers over the years. I should probably start using something else... I would probably be sad if I lost it after almost 16 years. 🤣

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1756 of 2072, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a SanDisk 128GB USB3 flash drive that supports both USB-A and USB-C and it was about $20 after taxes and it's not that bad.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1757 of 2072, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cpu + mobo combo.
Ryzen 5 2600x + Asus TUF GAMING b450m pro II for 120€

No ram but I have 16gb @3200mhz bought for another project.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 1759 of 2072, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2022-12-23, 07:19:

Wow that is a very good deal sir.

I thought so, the motherboard has room for a 5000 series cpu upgrade in the future.
Mobo is great, has all I need.

Got lucky 😀

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K