Common searches

Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 621 of 2070, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That 4GB framebuffer will prove to be an issue though 🙁.

I can't wait for HBM to catch on, I'd love to build a mini ITX build with such a tiny GPU. I wonder if HBM will ever hit mainstream cards or perhaps even sub 75W cards.

Reply 622 of 2070, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems like if AMD went with good old fashioned GDDR5/5X, they wouldn't be in this mess they are in right now. Vega probably would've launched maybe 6 months ahead of schedule.

Reply 623 of 2070, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have no real use for these outside of benchmarking... but for $5 each, why not. 😀

A4-3400 (2C, 2.7 GHz, K10), A4-3420 (2C, 2.8 GHz, K10)
a4fbuds.jpg

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 624 of 2070, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually built this system about 5 weeks ago now but was sick for a good portion of that. So sort of belated, but here's new parts for me. Same old case I've had since 2009, and it was never designed for large water cooler radiators so I had to improvise.

This system has seen a lot of parts over the years change through it but the case has stayed the same. Current system: EVGA 1080 Ti SC Black Edition with ICX cooler + MSI X99 SLI Plus motherboard + I7-5820K + 16GB (4x4GB) ddr4-2400 crucial ballistix ram. RM-750 gold power supply. Kind of hard to see but I have a hotswap bay in the front and it has 2 x samsung 850 pro 128GB SSD's in raid-0 for OS, and 2 x old crappy 7200 RPM SATA-II hard drives from Seagate in raid-0 for secondary storage. Custom water loop and soon have 4 x 160GB velociraptors coming for it, going to go sled-less on em and stick em in my hotswap bay and run a hardware raid card for RAID-5 for more speedy storage with em, and hoping to move up to 8 velociraptors together later, should end up with somewhere in the 500 MB/s - 700 MB/s range @ 1.1TB of usable space for that when done, raid-5 redundant. I can't figure out any other way to end up with 1TB of storage @ those speeds for $100 out of pocket so going with that for a while. Anyway, photos.

r_DSC07803.jpg
Large: https://i.imgur.com/nEnceNA.jpg

r_DSC07805.jpg
Large: https://i.imgur.com/xV8P4Ji.jpg

cx8EaJt.jpg?1
No larger version.

Future plans after I get the Credit Card paid off from the x99 parts in a few months is pick up a waterblock for the gpu. Radiator can easily handle that + CPU. Probably tack on another drive cable + 4 more velociraptors for completing that storage array after water block or somewhere shortly around in there.

EDIT: And also, firestrike after overclocking it and tuning it: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13609878

Reply 625 of 2070, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Live Gamer HD - HDMI/DVI capture, supports up to 1024x768 @ 60 fps and up to 1920x1080 @ 30 fps. The onboard encoder is rather bad... but it is possible to get raw video from it (using OBS for example) and use CPU for better quality encoding.
captureyts6u.jpg

VelociRaptor 300 GB, almost like new... only 500 power-on hours. Should fit nicely to my ITX / Ivy Bridge / winXP build.
raptor_300itslu.jpg

raptor_30020su4.png

Reply 626 of 2070, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
New old GPU.jpg
Filename
New old GPU.jpg
File size
1.5 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Stuff.jpg
Filename
Stuff.jpg
File size
780.27 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Modern, yet not 😀
2017 LEDs on 2004/2010 tech 😁

157143230295.png

Reply 627 of 2070, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Neat Leds.

I bought a ocz pcie 120gb ssd the other day for my core2 setup, its a newer drive but I got it for a nice price. SO all 6 of my 300gb WB raptors will be ran in raid 0 now in place of raid 10. that should be fast.

Reply 628 of 2070, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

Neat Leds.

I bought a ocz pcie 120gb ssd the other day for my core2 setup, its a newer drive but I got it for a nice price. SO all 6 of my 300gb WB raptors will be ran in raid 0 now in place of raid 10. that should be fast.

I'm slowly working on building a raptor raid setup for my x99 too, will take a little time though.. money's short around here. Hope to end up with 8 of em though before too much longer.

Reply 629 of 2070, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote:
I have no real use for these outside of benchmarking... but for $5 each, why not. :happy: […]
Show full quote

I have no real use for these outside of benchmarking... but for $5 each, why not. 😀

A4-3400 (2C, 2.7 GHz, K10), A4-3420 (2C, 2.8 GHz, K10)
a4fbuds.jpg

I am a bit confused. It says "Diffused in Germany". Should that be "Distributed"? What does "diffused" mean in this context?

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 630 of 2070, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's probably referring to the heat spreader portion of the CPU.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 631 of 2070, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, the fab facility is in Germany where they print the silicon wafer, then they assemble and test the package in Malaysia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GlobalFoundries#Fab_1

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 632 of 2070, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More benchmarking material 🤣

2x Opteron 8380 (2.5 GHz, 4C, K10)
o8380iis0z.jpg

Core 2 Duo E8300, E6750
core2y9si7.jpg

Phenom II X2 550 (3.1 GHz, 2C, K10), Athlon II X2 235e (2.7 GHz, 2C, K10), Athlon X2 7850 BE (2.8 GHz, 2C, K10)
k1039sqh.jpg

Reply 633 of 2070, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
kithylin wrote:

I'm slowly working on building a raptor raid setup for my x99 too, will take a little time though.. money's short around here. Hope to end up with 8 of em though before too much longer.

Cool, just don't by older ones to save money. Your probably be better off buying a newer upper mainstream drives then.
The 6 I have are from 2008-2010 and a new top end drive would go neck and neck with them. But they are 16mb cache versions.

Reply 634 of 2070, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
kithylin wrote:

Cool, just don't by older ones to save money. Your probably be better off buying a newer upper mainstream drives then.
The 6 I have are from 2008-2010 and a new top end drive would go neck and neck with them. But they are 16mb cache versions.

The only difference is we can't get any newer mainstream 2.5" hard drives (sata 6 Gbps) that can do 100+ MB/s sustained for < $20/each, I've looked everywhere, any capacity any size.

First gen 16MB velociraptors are $8 - $11/each and do 108 - 120 MB/s sustained each and I can take em out and put em in my hotswap cages and they work. Alone for one drive or a few maybe not so much but it should be fine on a hardware card with 8 of em eventually. Should end up roughly 700-900 MB/s @ 1TB capacity with all of em together.

Reply 635 of 2070, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

not worth inot really worth it. i have many cheap sata drives. even the cheap ones will do 100MB/s. i current have 24x 1tb drives and the performance is about 1 gb/s.

but thats ZFS r3 so its to be expected.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 636 of 2070, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

not worth inot really worth it. i have many cheap sata drives. even the cheap ones will do 100MB/s. i current have 24x 1tb drives and the performance is about 1 gb/s.

but thats ZFS r3 so its to be expected.

There's nothing anywhere we can buy SSD-wise, PCIE or otherwise to end up with 1TB (or more) of capacity @ 700-900 MB/s performance for $115. It doesn't exist, that I'm aware of. There's no other way I can conceivably come up with anything close to this for this performance at this price today, and also have 1TB of room. If you can come up with something, then by all means point me to it.

Reply 637 of 2070, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had to replace the power supply in my xeon rig. Bought a nice corsair CX750M. Got it on sale for $80. Also got an open box GTX 1030 for $60. Only overspent my "budget" this month by like $10.

I can finally playback h.265 60fps video now. But for some asinine reason I still cant play netflix on this machine in chrome. IE is fine, but that's a thread for another day.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 638 of 2070, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday I ordered my first ever analogue synthesizer (as opposed to digital romplers), in the form of the littleBits Korg synth kit, a modular synth experimentation kit.

Originally I was looking at the Korg Monotron Delay and Monotron Duo, but then saw this synth kit mentioned in a thread about the Monotrons. I watched a few Youtube videos (and listened to the sound, of course 😎 ), and despite being somewhat toy-like and not a true modular synth it's pretty cool and can make some nice sounds (similar to the Monotrons), at a much more affordable price than a Eurorack modular synth. So it's fun to start with. The box of the US/global version also folds into something ressembling a Korg MS-10 synth 🤣

There also are optional MIDI, CV, and USB audio interface bits available, as well as tons of additional modules. The nice thing about the littleBits kits is that all the available parts can be mixed, making some quite original control and logical schemes possible. It's also possible to get breadboards to develop your own modules.

I ordered the MIDI interface with it, and made use of a special deal to get a free basic experimentation kit with it. Later on I'll probably splurge on more bits to build a somewhat more complex synth, and possibly get some breadboards to add a Eurorack-style modular interface.

Reply 639 of 2070, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ordered a sexy copper + Plexi waterblock and full nickel-plated copper backplate for my 1080 Ti from EK. Sitting around waiting on fedex to arrive with the parts. Stoked and excited. Pictures to come later today/tonight.