Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1000 of 1002, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote on 2020-02-12, 03:21:
Finally upgrading my PC after many years. Going Ryzen 5 3600 ... I do a lot of emulation, so I am excited for the extra threads […]
Show full quote

Finally upgrading my PC after many years. Going
Ryzen 5 3600
I do a lot of emulation, so I am excited for the extra threads and increase in IPC.

DOSBox bench thread (check my signature) lacks newer Ryzen 3xxx to compare with previous 2xxx. Would be interesting to see the results for Ryzen's update there.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 1001 of 1002, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tertz wrote on 2020-02-14, 18:41:
mothergoose729 wrote on 2020-02-12, 03:21:
Finally upgrading my PC after many years. Going Ryzen 5 3600 ... I do a lot of emulation, so I am excited for the extra threads […]
Show full quote

Finally upgrading my PC after many years. Going
Ryzen 5 3600
I do a lot of emulation, so I am excited for the extra threads and increase in IPC.

DOSBox bench thread (check my signature) lacks newer Ryzen 3xxx to compare with previous 2xxx. Would be interesting to see the results for Ryzen's update there.

Sure, I'll post there when I get up and running 😀.

Reply 1002 of 1002, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After 5 years with a monitor I repaired that someone was going to throw out (it had a bad capacitor I replaced), I finally "splurged" and got me a modern 1080p monitor. My previous monitor was a 23" 1680x1050 Acer from 2007. I replaced it with this:
https://www.benq.com/en-us/monitor/stylish/gw2480.html
Still, a very economical choice. I just can't see spending more than $120 or so on a monitor for some reason. The benefits of more expensive monitors aren't as tangible to me. Not like a graphics card or a cpu, so it's lower on my upgrade totem pole.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks