Common searches

Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1061 of 2072, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, quite the opposite. These are enterprise level parts. They are DESIGNED to run 24/7/365 and come with a 5 year warranty.

You would be 110% correct to be concerned with commodity hardware.

Not to mention, power cycling is one of the biggest contributing factors to failure.

I buy Supermicro whenever humanly possible. I have yet to have a board fail. *knocks on wood*

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1062 of 2072, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always buy datacenter scrap parts whenever I do a new home server or network related build. The longevity is pretty astounding. I've even taken home scrapped parts from work that previously ran 24/7/365 for 8 years straight, then ran them for another 5 years at home (again 24/7/365) without having a single hiccup.

Also, most datacenter pulls come from a dust limited or dust free environment with regulated power on a UPS, proper HVAC system with humidity control, and the parts were likely always handled by professionals.

I couldn't say the same from purchasing used consumer grade computer parts on eBay or any other market place.. I have a higher failure rate or DoA rate on those parts than I'd like to see.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 1063 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote on 2020-05-24, 18:58:

I always buy datacenter scrap parts whenever I do a new home server or network related build. The longevity is pretty astounding. I've even taken home scrapped parts from work that previously ran 24/7/365 for 8 years straight, then ran them for another 5 years at home (again 24/7/365) without having a single hiccup.

Also, most datacenter pulls come from a dust limited or dust free environment with regulated power on a UPS, proper HVAC system with humidity control, and the parts were likely always handled by professionals.

I couldn't say the same from purchasing used consumer grade computer parts on eBay or any other market place.. I have a higher failure rate or DoA rate on those parts than I'd like to see.

For my mass storage drive im using a 2012 HGST Deskstar 2tb drive, it's great. It had like 17k power on hours when I bought it and 4 power ons. iv been using it since 2016 with zero issues. For $20 I cant think of a better deal storage wise.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 1065 of 2072, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote on 2020-06-02, 01:16:
Modern retro purchase.. now I just have to wait for it to get here from overseas.. […]
Show full quote

Modern retro purchase.. now I just have to wait for it to get here from overseas..

An4IXM6.jpg

Interesting. How much does it cost? It is an interesting comparable product for me as an ACA500Plus user..

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-06-02, 16:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1066 of 2072, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-06-02, 08:07:
Modern retro purchase.. now I just have to wait for it to get here from overseas.. […]
Show full quote

Modern retro purchase.. now I just have to wait for it to get here from overseas..

An4IXM6.jpg

Interesting. How much does it cost? It is an interesting comparable product for me as an ACA500Plus user..

It's a simpler device compared to the ACA500/plus. But, I was mainly just looking for CF storage and a little speed boost to my system.
https://amigastore.eu/en/709-hc508-mkii.html

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-06-02, 16:52. Edited 1 time in total.

My Github

Reply 1067 of 2072, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The CVX4 I ordered a short while ago arrived today and is working fine! This is a really neat little device, very pleased with it for playing old Sierra and Lucasarts adventure games with Tandy music (via TEMU). Nice!

Reply 1068 of 2072, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote on 2020-06-02, 09:19:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-06-02, 08:07:
Show full quote

An4IXM6.jpg

Interesting. How muc does it cost? It is an interesting comparable product for me as an ACA500Plus user..

It's a simpler device compared to the ACA500/plus. But, I was mainly just looking for CF storage and a little speed boost to my system.
https://amigastore.eu/en/709-hc508-mkii.html

I just checked the link out and while it's substantially faster than a non-OC'ed 21Mhz ACA500Plus (Mine does 42MHz no problems.. But not all of them do..) to me the price is very hard to justify unless you need the IDE interface or availability of the ACA500Plus is an issue. Why didn't you go for the ACA500Plus at EUR 135 if you don't mind me asking?

Reply 1069 of 2072, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ACA500+ is wider from what I can tell, and I didn't want it sticking out that far. I also wanted IDE as an option for the future. The price I paid with shipping to the US was also much cheaper than the ACA500+. Individual computers wanted over $50USD shipping out of Germany, whereas the Amiga store only charged me about $16.

My Github

Reply 1070 of 2072, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fair points, and the shipping cost is weird. That said, it was prohibitively costly to ship to where I live well so I had it shipped to a friend in Denmark who brought it over.. It was dirt cheap to ship within EU.

Reply 1071 of 2072, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not hardware, but loosely related to a peripheral. I had some Shutterly coupons for free items, so I made these mousepads -- I found a free shipping coupon too, haha.

RyIEUA8h.jpg

My Github

Reply 1073 of 2072, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They turned out better than expected. It is just a plain rubber mouse pad, but it feels like good quality and the photo printing is sharp and color accurate. I'd definitely recommend it.

My Github

Reply 1075 of 2072, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's a little discount outlet store near me which always has a huge selection of items that I'm pretty sure are either Amazon returns or other items like that. Their prices are pretty much always 50% off of the Amazon price. It's an awesome little place and I finally found a smoking deal on a PC item.

It is a Royal Kludge G87 Bluetooth\Wired RGB keyboard with brown switches... for $25! I went for it because it was obviously new (opened box with all accessories), and I had 7 days to return it if it didn't work. I looked online and apparently due to poor documentation people were returning them because they couldn't figure out how to switch between USB and bluetooth modes. So, there was very good chance it was fine.

Sure enough, it works perfectly. It's a wonderful keyboard and will be used by my wife and myself any time we need to do a bunch of typing on a phone or tablet. I've used other bluetooth keyboards and they are usually non-standard enough to be hurt my typing speed and accuracy quite a bit... plus they're usually low profile keys, and NOT good ones. I normally use a Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Red switches, and this RK G87 keyboard feels great with the knock off brown switches. Fastest I've ever typed on a phone!

The RGB stuff is totally gimmicky, as expected, but I really appreciate that it is backlit at least. Plus, it uses a USB-C port for charging OR to use as a wired keyboard. I can plug it in to charge and connect BT to my phone or iPad, or plug it into my PC and switch to wired mode and use it there. I could probably also use it with a USB-C to USB-C cable and wire it to my phone if the battery is dead. I'm not sure if it will still be usable once the battery completely dies some day, but for $25, if it lasts that long...

They seem to go for $60+ in the US and $50+ from Bangood from China, so I'm quite happy. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1076 of 2072, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I picked up an HP z420 workstation for cheap. They are almost giving these away today on eBay.
This one has a 6-core Xeon CPU and 64gb ram.
I am going to upgrade the CPU to an 8-core Xeon and load this up with drives.
I have a drive cage that I am going to put directly under the existing drive cage so I can have a total of
9 hard drives, remove the DVD drive and add a PCI Nvme SSD boot drive and a couple SATA SSD’s too.

So I am going to have this thing loaded with drives.
Then I am going to copy all my NAS stuff onto these drive and get rid of my single disk WD MyCloud NAS drives because they really Suck
And I dont want to loose my Data to a drive failure.

So this is an inexpensive way to build nice home workstation with lots of drives for storage of all your stuff.

I had a z800 and z400 before and I really liked them.
I actually wanted a z820 but they are still too expensive and I like the smaller case of the z420 also.

Attachments

Reply 1077 of 2072, by martinot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Surface Book 3 (15"3240 x 2160, Intel Core i7 1065G7, 32GB 3733 Mhz LPDDR4x, 512GB PCIe SSD, Nvidia GeForce 1660 Ti, Wi-Fi 6: 802.11ax, Bluetooth 5.0, Xbox Wireless)
Surface Pen (Red)
Surface Dial
Surface Dock 2

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/surface-boo … 3/8xbw9g3z71f1/

Last edited by martinot on 2020-06-25, 23:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1078 of 2072, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Won an auction last week and I'm taking the plunge to wire my home up with 10Gb ethernet.

RjampwAm.jpg BhD2otRm.jpg

With link aggrigation i'll have a 20Gb link between my 2 workstations and my NAS. Now I just need to find a skinny dude to crawl in my attic and run some cables. A 1000' spool of outdoor rated Cat6a was surprisingly affordable at $300 shipped.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.