Common searches

Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 560 of 2069, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:

Interesting little things, works right off natively.

Well, that's kind of a given, considering that SODIMM is pin for pin identical to DIMM of the same DDR version. Likely in your case to both be PC3/DDR3. Useful if you have SODIMMs kicking around with nothing better to do with them, but since SODIMM tends to be more expensive than DIMM of the same capacity, not really a cost effective solution for buying new memory. Well, unless you plan to use said new memory in your laptop later.

Reply 561 of 2069, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kode54 wrote:
kithylin wrote:

Interesting little things, works right off natively.

Well, that's kind of a given, considering that SODIMM is pin for pin identical to DIMM of the same DDR version. Likely in your case to both be PC3/DDR3. Useful if you have SODIMMs kicking around with nothing better to do with them, but since SODIMM tends to be more expensive than DIMM of the same capacity, not really a cost effective solution for buying new memory. Well, unless you plan to use said new memory in your laptop later.

For me, my laptop has 4 ram slots. And it came when I bought it from the pawn shop with 24GB ram in it (2x4 + 2x8). I don't need quite that much ram in that thing, 16GB would be fine, so I could re-arrange ram. I was looking at upgrading ram in my mini-ITX desktop system. I use my itx system as my "daily driver" 99% of my computing is it. Web browsing, random small office tasks, video editing, etc. I only had 8GB (2x4GB) in my ITX system, and it only has 2 ram slots. So I was looking at somewhere around $120 - $135 to upgrade my ITX system to 16GB. And I needed it with heavy web browsing and stuff.. was running out of it constantly with 8GB, was a big problem.

So instead of $130, I bought these.. took the 2x8's out of my laptop, and transplanted em into my ITX system. Total was $17 shipped for the ram adapters. And yes they're DDR3-1600-1.5v SODIMMS, (even though my ITX system doesn't let me overclock and only runs em at 1333 mhz). So there, got my ITX system upgraded for $17, now it runs 16GB and it's happy.

But then my laptop was left at 8GB. I use it a lot when sitting in the other room doing work on my retro computers. And I often spawn tons of tabs web-browse-working in there. So I wanted more ram too, and already knew 8GB won't be enough. But fortunately it has 4 slots so I just picked up a auction listing for 2x4GB DDR3-1600-1.5v to match the 2 in there. Now laptop's happy, and now both machines have 16GB.

Total cost after buying more ram: $37 out of pocket.

So in my situation, saved me a lot of money. Now I can look in to buying othe things. Like a $60 replacement screen in my laptop that suddenly went out last week. *sigh* Still need to buy more SSD's for it some day.

Reply 562 of 2069, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Local Walmart opened a brand new Walmart Super-Center just 5 minutes from my house and today was the grand opening. A lot of things in the the store were discounted. Among them is a new monitor.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/monitors/curved-cf396/

Currently going for $198 - $259 right now brand new online and local walmart had it on sale "Red Tag" sale today only for $118.00 + tax.

So I have a new 1080p screen for my 3770K. My first ever FreeSync screen to go with my R9 290X, and my first ever curved screen. So far I love it.

Reply 564 of 2069, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
agent_x007 wrote:

Speed 😀
<snip>

Could you please run the hdtune benchmark tab over this and show us? The tab with the yellow ! on it. Both read and write.

Reply 565 of 2069, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NVMe 256GB.png
Filename
NVMe 256GB.png
File size
109.96 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Interesting side note : Had to run on High Performance profile or dips on tests would be bigger (CPU integrated PCIe controller) 😁
Also I added HD Tach (this is "Long test"... not so long on this drive).
But that 0,0ms random access on HD Tach 😀

Q : Is 2GB/s Read around DDR1 RAMDisk speed ?

157143230295.png

Reply 566 of 2069, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The last parts needed for my Dell Inspiron desktop revival project came yesterday.

IMG_1344.JPG
Filename
IMG_1344.JPG
File size
599.42 KiB
Views
File comment
The boxes for most of the hardware.
File license

Not pictured are the RAM, Hard Drive, and USB 3.0 Headers, which are:
- 1x8GB Corsair DDR4-2133 SDRAM DIMM
- 1TB 7200RPM Western Digital WD Blue SATA 6GB/s 3.5" Hard Drive
- Anker USB 3.0 2-port internal header

More details on this build will come to the current build thread.

Reply 568 of 2069, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
havli wrote:

Now it realy isn't the season for this... anyway, The GTX 480. 🤣

Here in Madrid, Spain, we have temperatures over 40°C all day, I won't use this card today even if you pay me 🤣

Reply 569 of 2069, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Local Walmart opened a brand new Walmart Super-Center just 5 minutes from my house and today was the grand opening. A lot of thi […]
Show full quote

Local Walmart opened a brand new Walmart Super-Center just 5 minutes from my house and today was the grand opening. A lot of things in the the store were discounted. Among them is a new monitor.

Currently going for $198 - $259 right now brand new online and local walmart had it on sale "Red Tag" sale today only for $118.00 + tax.

So I have a new 1080p screen for my 3770K. My first ever FreeSync screen to go with my R9 290X, and my first ever curved screen. So far I love it.

Thats a deal man. I love trolling my Wal-marts clearence isle and I go often enough for groceries that I don't miss much. I got a lot of modern games on clearence and one time got a 300 dollar colo laser printer for 50 bucks.

Reply 570 of 2069, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rhuwyn wrote:
kithylin wrote:
Local Walmart opened a brand new Walmart Super-Center just 5 minutes from my house and today was the grand opening. A lot of thi […]
Show full quote

Thats a deal man. I love trolling my Wal-marts clearence isle and I go often enough for groceries that I don't miss much. I got a lot of modern games on clearence and one time got a 300 dollar colo laser printer for 50 bucks.

I haven't been posting on here lately cause I've been super depressed. First off I couldn't handle the curved screen, gave me headaches switching glances between it and my "traditional flat" screens. So ended up returning it and paying $150 at Fry's (also on sale -$80 off) for something a lot better. Samsung Freesync screen that does 48 Hz <-> 75 Hz over Displayport. And my 3770K system's dead, motherboard decided one morning without warning it would kill/fry every chip put into it. So it's dead now.. I'm planning to replace it in the near future with a Dual-Socket SuperMicro WorkStation class system, dual-1366, and a pair of X5687 3860 Mhz i7 xeon quad cores.

Monitor I ended up with (and am much happier with) is this: http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/ … -ls27e370ds-za/

Reply 571 of 2069, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And before you ask no, I don't have any idea what the "white stuff" is on the heatsinks. I'm planning to take em off and scrub em thoroughly before using em, and new TIM paste. And I had to buy a second cpu power adapter.. but anyway. Since my 3770K died, sold a bunch of my stuff and bought a "newer computer" for myself. Officially the fastest machine I've ever owned, faster than my 3770K @ 4.8 ghz (for multi-threaded tasks) and plan to do a lot of virtualized VM instances with vmware 12 for retro gaming, the new vmware 12 has full virtualized DirectX accelerated video up to DX-11 with a supported processor.. and these have new Intel VT-D, sooo...
AUgyJtn.jpg

Reply 573 of 2069, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Best sounding PCI-e X-Fi gaming card, that doesn't cost a fortune on secondhand market (I bought mine for 75$ [280/3,8 exchange rate, and that includes shipping]) 😀
Also, I got complete package for that price :
Card itself (duh), D-Sub extension cable (with 5.1 + Line-In/Mic), Driver Disk, Manual, Low Profile bracket, Optic cable (with adapter) and even original bill 😁

X-Fi Forte 2.jpg
Filename
X-Fi Forte 2.jpg
File size
1.07 MiB
Views
File license
X-Fi Forte.jpg
Filename
X-Fi Forte.jpg
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license

157143230295.png

Reply 574 of 2069, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
kithylin wrote:
And before you ask no, I don't have any idea what the "white stuff" is on the heatsinks. I'm planning to take em off and scrub e […]
Show full quote

And before you ask no, I don't have any idea what the "white stuff" is on the heatsinks. I'm planning to take em off and scrub em thoroughly before using em, and new TIM paste. And I had to buy a second cpu power adapter.. but anyway. Since my 3770K died, sold a bunch of my stuff and bought a "newer computer" for myself. Officially the fastest machine I've ever owned, faster than my 3770K @ 4.8 ghz (for multi-threaded tasks) and plan to do a lot of virtualized VM instances with vmware 12 for retro gaming, the new vmware 12 has full virtualized DirectX accelerated video up to DX-11 with a supported processor.. and these have new Intel VT-D, sooo...
AUgyJtn.jpg

The white stuff is likely some sided of double sided tape.

Ether way should be a nice system. if you don't mind it running hot or loud, might want to pick of a set of super micro tower heat sink. I have a set in my 1366 build.

Reply 575 of 2069, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

Ether way should be a nice system. if you don't mind it running hot or loud, might want to pick of a set of super micro tower heat sink. I have a set in my 1366 build.

I've figured out how and I have plans to convert the system from air and loop in both processors to a custom water loop where they'll run nice and cool, and then I can use a big radiator and have the fans on 30% speed and everything'll cool and quiet.

Reply 576 of 2069, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picking up a HD5870 for $30 from a friend. Going to shove it in my weird AsRock N-68s system I got for free. Eying a phenom ii 1035t to max it out

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 577 of 2069, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well ended up picking up the 1035t for $35 and spent another $130 on a complete i7-920/dell XPS mobo and 12gb ram combo

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 578 of 2069, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
kithylin wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

I've figured out how and I have plans to convert the system from air and loop in both processors to a custom water loop where they'll run nice and cool, and then I can use a big radiator and have the fans on 30% speed and everything'll cool and quiet.

Nice, I was going to do the same with my system, but the blocks I had were not the best. So I went air. I'm not over clocking so I'm fine.

Reply 579 of 2069, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
kithylin wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

Nice, I was going to do the same with my system, but the blocks I had were not the best. So I went air. I'm not over clocking so I'm fine.

I won't be overclocking my X5687's either but they're 3.8 ghz on a 130W-TDP chip, they're going to be toasty even without overclocking, and definitely warrant watercooling on their own, at stock. My only concern is hoping I can get my chips turbo-locked with my supermicro board to max turbo always (speedstep is stupid and everyone I talk to hates it). Might have to get my friend to make me a custom bios for the supermicro board if it won't do it out of the box.