Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 440 of 2072, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@ Kithylin

I appreciate the pointers. But i've already gotten the drives. They are actually 2nd hand 1tb 2.5" drives. Long story short, I find them in a dumpster behind a certain internet provider. Most are actually new, and all I need to do is remove them from DVR's. They draw 300mv on 5v, and are designed to spin 24/7.

As for adding more hard drives, I want to get a few of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331872583705 But jesus on ice skates, they are so damned expensive. Even the knock-off ones aren't much better.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 441 of 2072, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
gdjacobs wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

It certainly will make a difference when compared to a 650w pre 80+ plus psu. And it will run 24/7.
I think the old delta unit in it is like 75% efficient.

Keep that delta unit, though. Those things are like tanks.

They can be, had a 45amp 5v rail and dual fans. But it's deader then a door nob.

Reply 442 of 2072, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just got it, already stripped 😀

MB mini.jpg
Filename
MB mini.jpg
File size
1.72 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

And CPU for it :

CPU mini.jpg
Filename
CPU mini.jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license

157143230295.png

Reply 443 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
agent_x007 wrote:
Just got it, already stripped :) […]
Show full quote

Just got it, already stripped 😀

MB mini.jpg

And CPU for it :

CPU mini.jpg

Totally jealous. I want an exotic high-end overclocking x58 board 😵 😢 Although all that power filtering and only 1 power port for the cpu power. 😐

Reply 444 of 2072, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

Totally jealous. I want an exotic high-end overclocking x58 board 😵 😢 Although all that power filtering and only 1 power port for the cpu power. 😐

I don't plan on going LN2 any time soon, so I don't think second 8-pin EPS is needed.
ASUS "fixed" that "problem" on Rampage III Extreme 😉
Also, I got newer X58 chipset revision (by luck) : "B3".
Here's valid of my Rampage II with 18GB of RAM : http://valid.x86.fr/fmcj6a

For more "exotic high end" here's my "naked" Rampage Extreme (LGA 775) 😉

MB mini.jpg
Filename
MB mini.jpg
File size
1.88 MiB
Views
File license

157143230295.png

Reply 445 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
agent_x007 wrote:
I don't plan on going LN2 any time soon, so I don't think second 8-pin EPS is needed. ASUS "fixed" that "problem" on Rampage II […]
Show full quote
kithylin wrote:

I don't plan on going LN2 any time soon, so I don't think second 8-pin EPS is needed.
ASUS "fixed" that "problem" on Rampage III Extreme 😉
Also, I got newer X58 chipset revision (by luck) : "B3".
Here's valid of my Rampage II with 18GB of RAM : http://valid.x86.fr/fmcj6a

For more "exotic high end" here's my "naked" Rampage Extreme (LGA 775) 😉
<snip>

Nice 😀 And when I had my 980x in my evga classified x58 board I tested it once and it wouldn't even turn on / POST with only one of the EPS12V plugs connected for 4.6 ghz for the CPU. But when I connected the second, it worked. And it wasn't that the board required it.. the manual specifically stated it's okay to run with just one, and the second was for overclocking.

So depending on what you're shooting for.. the extra power does help if you want super high overclocks.

Reply 446 of 2072, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Result after few tweaks :

Prime95.png
Filename
Prime95.png
File size
293.98 KiB
Views
File license

Everything works fine 😀
Above result was made on Intel BOX "HP" cooler ("P" setting for fan) : newfan.jpg

157143230295.png

Reply 447 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
agent_x007 wrote:
Result after few tweaks : <snip> Everything works fine :) Above result was made on Intel BOX "HP" cooler ("P" setting for fan) : […]
Show full quote

Result after few tweaks :
<snip>
Everything works fine 😀
Above result was made on Intel BOX "HP" cooler ("P" setting for fan) : <snip>

I gave up on prime95 years and years ago as a stability test for overclocks. It's mostly pointless. I had my x58 system with a i7-920 xeon @ 4.4 ghz for going on 4 years and -NOTHING- crashed in it, no games no apps nothing. But if I ran prime95 it would BSOD in 2 seconds. I even did some program compiling and video editing a lot (number-crunching) and those didn't crash with it. But prime95 didn't like it so.. yeah.

Reply 448 of 2072, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

If it's not prime95 stable your overclock is not stable, the same goes for F@H. Just because your system it not crashing under a load doesn't mean it's stable ether. A very close to stable OC can cause all sort of problems with corrupt data, even if you can tell anything is corrupt it can be there. This is why prime95 and F@H tend to crash on or crash an overclocked system. Both programs rely on accuracy in their calculations.

Reply 449 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

If it's not prime95 stable your overclock is not stable, the same goes for F@H. Just because your system it not crashing under a load doesn't mean it's stable ether. A very close to stable OC can cause all sort of problems with corrupt data, even if you can tell anything is corrupt it can be there. This is why prime95 and F@H tend to crash on or crash an overclocked system. Both programs rely on accuracy in their calculations.

If you want to keep believing that go ahead. I've had OC's stable for years and years with no incorrect data nothing unstable no crashes, no failures nothing wrong. Prime95 used for stability pretty much went away with the early 2000's, no one bothers anymore.

Reply 450 of 2072, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Your logic is flawed. If your overcoocked system can't handle the load of prime95 without crashing or making a calculation error it's not stable. If it was stable it wouldn't have crashed when running prime95. And how can you say your system never crash only to say prime95 crashed the system? Sorry but just because it was stable enough for what you do doesn't mean it's 100% stable.
Anyone that's into folding knows what I mean as both apps keep your CPUs fpu active and under a load. And plenty of people still use prime95.

Reply 451 of 2072, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Overclocking is for scrubs. Just buy more cpu. When one cpu isn't enough, get 2. Seriously, all the money and effort to get 5% more performance out of a chip in order to save $20.

Speaking of two cpus, I ordered all the parts I need to upgrade my home server. Goodbye socket 604, hello socket 1366. That said, the only "new" part will be the power supply.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?I … N82E16817139140

Newegg was running a sale on them, so I think I got a sweet deal. The ROI for my system, even a file server that runs 24/7 wasn't there for platinum or higher. But going from an old 80% supply to one that can do platinum for the price of gold (read the review), I save about $100 a year. If I went for a titanium unit, I'd spend $60 more, and only save an additional $5 a year (about).

review here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDR … =Story&reid=449

Reply 452 of 2072, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

But what happens when one buys 2 of the fastest cpus the the market and still needs more power?
Anyway 1366 server are nice. I thought about jumping off 604 to 771, I always wanted to max out the netburst microarchitecture. Think of 2 dual core netburts cpus.

Reply 454 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
Overclocking is for scrubs. Just buy more cpu. When one cpu isn't enough, get 2. Seriously, all the money and effort to get 5 […]
Show full quote

Overclocking is for scrubs. Just buy more cpu. When one cpu isn't enough, get 2. Seriously, all the money and effort to get 5% more performance out of a chip in order to save $20.

Speaking of two cpus, I ordered all the parts I need to upgrade my home server. Goodbye socket 604, hello socket 1366. That said, the only "new" part will be the power supply.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?I … N82E16817139140

Newegg was running a sale on them, so I think I got a sweet deal. The ROI for my system, even a file server that runs 24/7 wasn't there for platinum or higher. But going from an old 80% supply to one that can do platinum for the price of gold (read the review), I save about $100 a year. If I went for a titanium unit, I'd spend $60 more, and only save an additional $5 a year (about).

review here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDR … =Story&reid=449

Sadly we can't see the huge gains we could years ago 🙁 🙁 🙁 My x58 system I used for 6 years was +64% overclocked (2.667 ghz stock to 4.4 ghz stable), my 775 system in the other room is +78% overclocked (2100 mhz -> 3750 Mhz stable), my new to me I7-3770K I use for daily driving now is +37% overclocked (3500 mhz -> 4800 Mhz). So in some systems it's worth it.. but my am2 build I did just recently is kinda "meh", and more like what you're talking about (just a +23% boost from 3100 Mhz -> 3833).

Reply 455 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a 4gb r9 290 Gigabyte Windforce card for $135

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 456 of 2072, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

Some how I knewn you would say that. But you reach a point where adding CPUs doesn't benefit you. Remember there are people out there running poorly made apps that can't use more then a few cores. That's were overclockong helps. Then there's poorer people that can't afford a faster system.
But honestly, when it come down to it, I mostly agree with you.

Reply 457 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

Some how I knewn you would say that. But you reach a point where adding CPUs doesn't benefit you. Remember there are people out there running poorly made apps that can't use more then a few cores. That's were overclockong helps. Then there's poorer people that can't afford a faster system.
But honestly, when it come down to it, I mostly agree with you.

This would be me.. In fact if it wasn't for my friends giving me parts to build my 3770K system I would of still been using my x58 system to this day.

Reply 458 of 2072, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

and that's not my point. I'm really glaring at the people that will spend $200 on outrageous cooling so they can make a $200 cpu run as fast as the $250 one. I overclocked my systems, back when I didn't run dual cpus.

Technically I'm very poor. Instead of overclocking, I've learned to get to get 2nd hand server boards and stretch my dollar to the max. My system is now 6 years old. I'm scared of the day my dual 1366's can't handle the newest games and I have to break down and delve into 2011's.

Reply 459 of 2072, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

I'm scared of the day my dual 1366's can't handle the newest games and I have to break down and delve into 2011's.

I am a bit surprised that such a wise person as you cares about newer games. Gaming companies stopped making good games after 2004 or so.
I tend to agree with you about overclocking especially when it comes to vintage hardware. I personally will never overclock anything in my life.