Common searches

Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Part of the problem could be the the drivers and such for the 400 series Nvidia cards might not be setup right for Fallout 4. I know the "minimum" specs call for at least a Geforce gtx550. I have seen people use Geforce 740's with 4.0ghz OC'd Pentium Anniversary chips and get a pretty steady 30-60fps on low settings. And I know the HD7770 stomps the 740 cards no problem. Thanks for the heads up tho! I will report back on how it runs with her current 3.0ghz dual core.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 23 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The odd part is that after reading your post I hit youtube and just watched a video with a guy using a Phenom ii 965 system with the Geforce 470 getting solid framerates with fairly high settings in 720p. And your I7 should be plenty faster than a Phenom

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 25 of 2072, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Asus P9X79 Deluxe

Now I only need to find CPU for it (i7 3820 should be good enough) and my SLI/CF benchmarking rig will be ready.
p9x79z0zf6.jpg

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 26 of 2072, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wanted some portable craptop that can play 1080p videos and running on windows so i got it,not actually bought but traded mine Iphone 4 for this:

LdMShQUl.jpg

Acer icona tab w510
It has dual core Atom Z2760 with HT,2gb of ddr2,32gb ssd and running W10 atm

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 28 of 2072, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
rein_ein wrote:
Wanted some portable craptop that can play 1080p videos and running on windows so i got it,not actually bought but traded mine I […]
Show full quote

Wanted some portable craptop that can play 1080p videos and running on windows so i got it,not actually bought but traded mine Iphone 4 for this:

LdMShQUl.jpg

Acer icona tab w510
It has dual core Atom Z2760 with HT,2gb of ddr2,32gb ssd and running W10 atm

I thought those were fairly weak chips.. is it capable of 1080p video? like high bitrate mkv's ?

Newer IGPs offload all the work but beyond that those machines are pretty terrible for anything else. Got to love how a old school Thinkpad T420 with a proper quad core and dedicated graphics can still manage 8+ hours on battery thanks to the secondary battery addon 😎

Cripple the performance with throttle stop and it could in theory last up to 20 hours 😲

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 29 of 2072, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My X10SAE arrived about 12 hours ago. Obviously I can't test it yet, but looking through the static bag it seems to be pure SuperMicro goodness. Part of me felt they wouldn't be the same now they're not assembled in the USA, but if anything they might have gotten better, the construction and the soldering are amazing and I can't wait to get the rest of the stuff.

Sadly I won't be buying anything for a while because right now I can't pay the electric bill. Nothing to worry about, I'll sort that out next pay day and then the one after that I should be able to look into getting my RAM or my PSU. Got a nice Seasonic model I've been looking at getting (Either X-1050 or Platinum 1050), it's expensive but I don't believe you can really have too good of a PSU, the extra power and the high quality caps will pay for themselves down the line I am sure and it leaves me room to upgrade to more power hungry processors/GPUs/Hard Drives if I need to do so in the future.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 30 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

My X10SAE arrived about 12 hours ago. Obviously I can't test it yet, but looking through the static bag it seems to be pure SuperMicro goodness. Part of me felt they wouldn't be the same now they're not assembled in the USA, but if anything they might have gotten better, the construction and the soldering are amazing and I can't wait to get the rest of the stuff.

Sadly I won't be buying anything for a while because right now I can't pay the electric bill. Nothing to worry about, I'll sort that out next pay day and then the one after that I should be able to look into getting my RAM or my PSU. Got a nice Seasonic model I've been looking at getting (Either X-1050 or Platinum 1050), it's expensive but I don't believe you can really have too good of a PSU, the extra power and the high quality caps will pay for themselves down the line I am sure and it leaves me room to upgrade to more power hungry processors/GPUs/Hard Drives if I need to do so in the future.

Don't forget the 7 year warranty on seasonic platinum PSU's. I'm using one in my main gaming computer myself.. I had one at first I burned out by overloading the poor thing.

Ran a i7-920-xeon @ 4.4 ghz + two GTX 470's overclocked +30% + 8 x 15,500 rpm scsi sas drives all on a single seasonic 1000-watt unit. It held up and powered that rig daily for about 16 months.. then it crapped out and I RMA'd it.. then I got some sense in my dumb head and ditched the scsi drives for a pair of SSD's and the replacement is running great so far.

Reply 31 of 2072, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:

I thought those were fairly weak chips.. is it capable of 1080p video? like high bitrate mkv's ?

Playback is actually pretty well at 1080p,but some heavy 20gb+ films have some audio lags when flipping it

nforce4max wrote:

Newer IGPs offload all the work but beyond that those machines are pretty terrible for anything else. Got to love how a old school Thinkpad T420 with a proper quad core and dedicated graphics can still manage 8+ hours on battery thanks to the secondary battery addon 😎

Cripple the performance with throttle stop and it could in theory last up to 20 hours 😲

^^ I wish i can found some,Thinkpads pretty pricey here even some old and well-used,btw this Acer(its tablet if didn't noticed) have one more battery in its dock with keyboard so 14+ hrs with it

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 32 of 2072, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How is a Thinkpad T420 old school? It's a 3-4 years old model, still a bloody great laptop for an everyday user. I wouldn't call that old school or old 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 33 of 2072, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
HighTreason wrote:

Don't forget the 7 year warranty on seasonic platinum PSU's. I'm using one in my main gaming computer myself.. I had one at first I burned out by overloading the poor thing.

Ran a i7-920-xeon @ 4.4 ghz + two GTX 470's overclocked +30% + 8 x 15,500 rpm scsi sas drives all on a single seasonic 1000-watt unit. It held up and powered that rig daily for about 16 months.. then it crapped out and I RMA'd it.. then I got some sense in my dumb head and ditched the scsi drives for a pair of SSD's and the replacement is running great so far.

Seasonic is usually good and I think your rig should not have pulled more than ~700W (DC) gaming and perhaps ~900W when folding with both the CPU and GPUs. I think it was just bad luck, or perhaps 15500 RPM SCSI drives are worse power hogs than I can imagine. 😁

I really like the top models in Corsairs AX series as they are built by Flextronics. The build quality is not only good it's unmatched among consumer PSUs, the performance of the AX series is also great (but not unmatched). I used to run Geforce GTX 580 SLI overclocked to 950/4800 in the system in my signature with an AX1200 PSU but I never saw more than ~1000 AC watts pulled from the wall, well If I weren't stability testing that is. 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 34 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

Seasonic is usually good and I think your rig should not have pulled more than ~700W (DC) gaming and perhaps ~900W when folding with both the CPU and GPUs. I think it was just bad luck, or perhaps 15500 RPM SCSI drives are worse power hogs than I can imagine. 😁

I really like the top models in Corsairs AX series as they are built by Flextronics. The build quality is not only good it's unmatched among consumer PSUs, the performance of the AX series is also great (but not unmatched). I used to run Geforce GTX 580 SLI overclocked to 950/4800 in the system in my signature with an AX1200 PSU but I never saw more than ~1000 AC watts pulled from the wall, well If I weren't stability testing that is. 😀

I honestly have no idea how the poor seasonic thing held up as long as it did under my original abuse.

My old setup listed above is sort of:
CPU overclocked = 250 watts
Video cards together and overclocked = 450 watts idle / 600 load.
all hard drives together = 250 watts, idle.

So total would of been about roughly 1100 watts DC side.. and indeed the thing ran daily, constantly at 1050 - 1080 watts on the AC side, so I was close in my estimations.

I was just overloading it. But there's not many power supplies that would handle that all day every day 15 hours a day for 16 months.

In comparison my new system is my I7-3770k @ 4.8 ghz & single GTX-770-4GB and whole rig including fans and water pump and everything is 135 watts idle, and 325 watts if I load up a game like Ark Evolved.

Quite a big difference in how power usage has improved in just a few years from 2008 -> 2012.

And new setup even with this single video card, is roughly exactly the same speed (performance) as the two 470's were in DirectX 9 games. But nearly +150% faster in DX-11 stuff.

A friend of mine is planning to send me a pair of MSI GTX 970 Overclocked cards later this year. They're even better... just one of em is faster than my 770 and they're spec'd at 169 watts each. Both of those would be roughly the power my 770 is pulling.

Reply 35 of 2072, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For optimal performance and efficiency I've found that you should load supplies to between 50% and 75% with an upper limit of 80%.

I shouldn't have any problems as I'll be running a fairly tame GPU - the GT730 - which is passively cooled and I doubt it pulls more than 50 Watts at worst. Most of the load will probably be keeping 6 WD RE's spinning and as I might go liquid cooled, I don't doubt the pump will pull some current. With this kind of draw I should only be loading the PSU about half way which should make it last longer and save electricity, but it also leaves me a lot of room if I decide to throw a Titan or something in there later, or if I need to add more drives. The latter being more likely, my only 3D applications are either Software based or rely on very old GL implementations that aren't even remotely likely to bother the GT 730.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 36 of 2072, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
I honestly have no idea how the poor seasonic thing held up as long as it did under my original abuse. […]
Show full quote

I honestly have no idea how the poor seasonic thing held up as long as it did under my original abuse.

My old setup listed above is sort of:
CPU overclocked = 250 watts
Video cards together and overclocked = 450 watts idle / 600 load.
all hard drives together = 250 watts, idle.

So total would of been about roughly 1100 watts DC side.. and indeed the thing ran daily, constantly at 1050 - 1080 watts on the AC side, so I was close in my estimations.

I was just overloading it. But there's not many power supplies that would handle that all day every day 15 hours a day for 16 months.

In comparison my new system is my I7-3770k @ 4.8 ghz & single GTX-770-4GB and whole rig including fans and water pump and everything is 135 watts idle, and 325 watts if I load up a game like Ark Evolved.

Quite a big difference in how power usage has improved in just a few years from 2008 -> 2012.

And new setup even with this single video card, is roughly exactly the same speed (performance) as the two 470's were in DirectX 9 games. But nearly +150% faster in DX-11 stuff.

A friend of mine is planning to send me a pair of MSI GTX 970 Overclocked cards later this year. They're even better... just one of em is faster than my 770 and they're spec'd at 169 watts each. Both of those would be roughly the power my 770 is pulling.

Yea I kind of figured the HDDs must have been real power hogs if your system overloaded the PSU. Your numbers for the CPU and video cards are about what I would have guessed. I had no idea that there existed such power hungry HDDs, I have never played with 15k rpm SCSI drives. 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 37 of 2072, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Decided to combine my plans for a lightweight Steam/games box and badly needed file backup server. Here's the setup I got for it, as mentioned in my other thread:

01-ACCESSORIES.JPG
Filename
01-ACCESSORIES.JPG
File size
319.92 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Through a complicated series of trades and salvage rescues, this stuff cost me about $20 total tops. The motherboard & CPU were the last pieces of the puzzle which I picked up last night.

I'll load the OS and software onto a 320GB IDE drive. For the backup duties I'll use the SATA ports for a 4x2TB RAID1 array that will only mount on an as-needed basis.

05-MOBO.JPG
Filename
05-MOBO.JPG
File size
257.41 KiB
Views
File license

The Foxconn mobo was brand new in its box. For once in my life I got the privilege of cracking open the anti-static bag and basking in "new board smell" (well, 7-year-old new-board smell. That sounds a lot nastier when I phrase it that way.)

02-CPU.JPG
Filename
02-CPU.JPG
File size
165.73 KiB
Views
File license

This is ostensibly a single-core Sempron 140 but the right board can unlock the second core and it becomes a full-fledged Athlon II X2 4400e. It's the AM3 equivalent of the famous Celeron 300A. 😎
...okay, it won't win any speed awards either way, but it will do fine until I can track down a Phenom II X4/X6 which is what I actually want.

03-4670.JPG
Filename
03-4670.JPG
File size
198.37 KiB
Views
File license

Planning to use this slim Radeon 4670 / 1GB, but...

06-OPTIONS.JPG
Filename
06-OPTIONS.JPG
File size
289.62 KiB
Views
File license

... I also have another option, a 4850 / 512MB. I guess the 4850 is a better card, but it has less memory and is older?? I like the fact that the 4670 doesn't need a PCIe power connector and is small enough I can still use the X1 connector above it on my mobo. What would you guys do?

The Zalman cooler is salvaged from a Socket 478 mobo but it looks like I might be able to swap the retaining arm over and run it on the AM3. Is this worth doing at all? Not planning to overclock.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 38 of 2072, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:

The Zalman cooler is salvaged from a Socket 478 mobo but it looks like I might be able to swap the retaining arm over and run it on the AM3. Is this worth doing at all? Not planning to overclock.

If the fan is in good shape (not too noise for its age), I'll definitely do it! The mounting for Socket AM3 is the same as for AMD's contemporary sockets (754,940) for Intel's 478. So, if you can get the proper mountings for those sockets that's fine.

AMD stock coolers are usually crap, I got tired of my previous pc (Athlon K10)... until finally replaced the whole heatsink and cooler and became usable 🤣

Last edited by mmx_91 on 2016-03-19, 19:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 39 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

Yea I kind of figured the HDDs must have been real power hogs if your system overloaded the PSU. Your numbers for the CPU and video cards are about what I would have guessed. I had no idea that there existed such power hungry HDDs, I have never played with 15k rpm SCSI drives. 😀

They're actually server hard drives.... ideally designed to go in to large-scale rack-mount servers with 2 or 3 power supplies. Not really designed for home use.. but older 2007 models of those drives are cheap now, like $8 - $15 each on ebay. Performance was great, with a server raid card in there I was seeing flat 500 - 550 MB/s writes sustained and 660 - 700 MB/s reads. And at the time the newer fast samsung pro SSD's were still like $200+ each for the 128 GB ones. It worked for a while, but yeah.. if you can afford it, the new SSD's are definitely the way to go.

Now on my new system I'm happy with a pair of samsung 850 pro 128 GB drives, in raid-0 they're a flat 1100 MB/s reads across the entire partition and 350-400 MB/s writes and use almost no power. I think they're like 2-5 watts each.

xjas wrote:

The Foxconn mobo was brand new in its box. For once in my life I got the privilege of cracking open the anti-static bag and basking in "new board smell" (well, 7-year-old new-board smell. That sounds a lot nastier when I phrase it that way.)

There definitely is a "new electronics" smell that you only smell once.. kind of like when you get something built and running and under load for the first time.. it has an odd smell that you get for the first few hours that goes away and you never scent it again, so I know what you're talking about... 😀 Most of my stuff I get is several years used already, but I've had the pleasure of building new kits for other people a few times.

xjas wrote:

This is ostensibly a single-core Sempron 140 but the right board can unlock the second core and it becomes a full-fledged Athlon II X2 4400e. It's the AM3 equivalent of the famous Celeron 300A. 😎
...okay, it won't win any speed awards either way, but it will do fine until I can track down a Phenom II X4/X6 which is what I actually want.

Take a browse through cpu-world some time at socket am3 opterons. A lot of these am3 boards can take quad core opteron chips, which are typically a good deal cheaper on ebay.