VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by JTD121

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So at work, we seem to have some kind of HVAC system, that's controlled by a PC via serial cable. To my knowledge the only time anyone uses it, is when there is a configuration change, or for physical maintenance of associated hardware.

Anyway, it is running Windows 95, has an old Pentium with 16MB RAM. I wanted to see if CPU-Z would detect and tell me any specifics; speed of the Pentium, how the 16MB is configured, etc.

Long story short, I found a build of CPU-Z that should work on Win95, so I formatted a 3½" floppy (I still have a small collection), put the CPU-Z executable on it, and went to the computer. Only the floppy will not open correctly. It does the seeking and such, but after about 30 seconds, will error with 'A: is not ready' or similar.

To be clear, the 3½" floppy is currently the only removable storage this machine has on offer. No CD-ROM drive, no USB, no Ethernet. I'm not even sure there is a way to use the older parallel or serial ports to grab screens of CPU-Z (assuming it will run).

Any ideas? I've tried formatting the floppy in Windows 2000, XP, 2003, 7 (via USB Floppy drive) and no go. Could the floppy drive in that computer be broken? Perhaps dust? It's been a very very long time since I had to really troubleshoot Win95 and a floppy drive. I have a small box of 6 disks, and of those, 3 (sometimes 4) will format correctly and allow access to read/write on any other computer.

Reply 1 of 10, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could be your floppy drive "killed" the floppy disk. I've had that happen to me and when that happens it's screwed basically.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your able to restart the PC you should be able to get basic information from the BIOS screen. either from the post screen or actually going into bios.

Reply 3 of 10, by JTD121

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@DracoNihil, that is possible, but the drive on the 'target' machine is having issues reading, not necessarily writing. It doesn't usually get that far into this. I can still read/write that same floppy on any of the original 'formatter' computers I've used them on. While I can't really rule out that the drive itself is bunk, to replace I'd have to shut it down; I am not sure how integrated this computer is to our HVAC control system.

@chinny22, indeed, but as stated above, not sure I can restart this willy-nilly. That's on me to find out of course. Also, can't really get screenshots of CPU-Z from BIOS, eh?

Though this does bring up the question of how far back CPU-Z can be run...Will it run and correctly identify a 486, for example? See what type of SIMMs you've got populated? Hmm.....

Reply 4 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CPU-Z and GPU-z alternatives for 95 and 98?
Which CPU-Z version runs on Windows NT 4.0 SP1?

I'd say if you don't know how critical that machine is then you need to find out.....of course that's how shit breaks but that's the fun part. Just make sure to get approval first 😁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 10, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even with reading I've had that happen, like for example: It successfully "reads" the filesystem, but the moment I try to copy any files off the disk is destroyed. Nothing can ever read or write to it ever again.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 6 of 10, by JTD121

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

CPU-Z and GPU-z alternatives for 95 and 98?
Which CPU-Z version runs on Windows NT 4.0 SP1?

I'd say if you don't know how critical that machine is then you need to find out.....of course that's how shit breaks but that's the fun part. Just make sure to get approval first 😁

Sweet! Thanks! I tried searching for 'cpuz' a few times, but it came up and said it was too common a word, and/or too short a search term. 😀

Reply 7 of 10, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want to fix that floppy drive try blowing compressed air into it in short bursts- cleans all the dust out. Works for me every time; usually the problem is just dust.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 8 of 10, by duralisis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Your symptoms read like classic drive head misalignment. Floppies work in one machine, not another. I don't have a very good source on correcting this; because it's been much cheaper to replace a bad floppy drive than repair it for about 2 decades now. And like the other posts have stated, a bad drive will kill the diskette effectively. ...hrm "diskette"... there's a fun word to type again. 😀

Reply 9 of 10, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CPU-Z is a little finnicky with anything that could be pre-pentium, but anything starting from the p5 60s onwards should be recognized. Why don't you try HWInfo? It's DOS based and weighs nothing, plus it works wonders.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 10 of 10, by JTD121

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I tried the canned air in the drive real quick. No effect that I could discern. Of course, then shit hit a fan it found by the side of the road, so I didn't spend a lot of time on it. Will keep trying, though! Thanks for the suggestions!