Rank
l33t++

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/14/11224752/sys … -remaster-video

Reply 3 of 34, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm up for this if the game is otherwise exactly the same and has modern controls.

As someone on IRC pointed out, they need to spend more time on the models and textures as it looks like a rush job.

Do not care for the U3 lighting, and the low FOV.

Reply 4 of 34, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just miss the soundtrack. Hope they don't can it entirely.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 5 of 34, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That looks amazing. Definitely looks and feels like Citadel Station. As MusciallyInspired says, though, I sure do hope they have at least some semblance of the original soundtrack. Back in the DOS days, music would often make the game. In my mind, the music helped make System Shock what it was.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 34, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In my opinion that don`t look good, even pipes, walls and sometimes textures are bad, but music, sound and animations are very good.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 7 of 34, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like these pixelated textures/props in the game 🤣
Remember this is a pre-alpha so it's normal that there are placeholders instead of final assets

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RoyBatty wrote:

I'm up for this if the game is otherwise exactly the same and has modern controls.

I'm up for this if the game keeps its MIDI soundtrack. Original MIDI songs are fine, but I don't mind remixes and/or additional songs, as long as they're MIDI. I mean, come on, we live in the era of soft synth and hundreds of megabytes of sound fonts, so I really long for modern games with MIDI sound tracks.

EDIT: oh, and I really like the vibrant blue-ish color of the remake, reminds me of the original. I always love the look of modern 3D games with vibrant colors of the past, instead of Modern Warfare-esque "everything must be gray" color scheme.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 34, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
RoyBatty wrote:

I'm up for this if the game keeps its MIDI soundtrack. Original MIDI songs are fine, but I don't mind remixes and/or additional songs, as long as they're MIDI. I mean, come on, we live in the era of soft synth and hundreds of megabytes of sound fonts, so I really long for modern games with MIDI sound tracks.

EDIT: oh, and I really like the vibrant blue-ish color of the remake, reminds me of the original. I always love the look of modern 3D games with vibrant colors of the past, instead of Modern Warfare-esque "everything must be gray" color scheme.

It's a reimagination, not a HD remake/update. So changes are bound to happen. I think its wise to implement some of the modern gameplay techniques. Alot have changed since 1994, and lets be honest, much of it to the better than some of the draconian game design choices in System Shock.

MIDI style music would fit if this was a remake/update, but it's not, With modern graphics old school MIDI music just doesnt fit in my opinion. I do though hope they keep the soundtrack as others have pointed out in this thread, but that it is also updated/re-done to fit the visuals.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 10 of 34, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks really promising. Huge Shock fan here!

They better keep cyberspace, it was a big part of what made the original unique.
Also, I hope they don't get rid of the customisable UI of the original.
I don't expect them to keep the entire original soundtrack, but a few nods to it would be nice.
Elevator music needs to stay though!

"Don't forget to salt the fries"

Reply 11 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

MIDI style music would fit if this was a remake/update, but it's not, With modern graphics old school MIDI music just doesnt fit in my opinion. I do though hope they keep the soundtrack as others have pointed out in this thread, but that it is also updated/re-done to fit the visuals.

Not really. The graphics are "blue-ish" like the original, and the colors are vibrant like the original, so I can't see why couldn't the developers keep the MIDI music. After all, with good, modern sound font, the game MIDI music fits with the modern graphics IMO.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 12 of 34, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not really. The graphics are "blue-ish" like the original, and the colors are vibrant like the original, so I can't see why couldn't the developers keep the MIDI music. After all, with good, modern sound font, the game MIDI music fits with the modern graphics IMO.

The entire reason MIDI fell out of favour for gaming was because it never sounds the same between different people's computers, plus Soundfont was a proprietary system used with Sound Blaster cards, so when the uprising of integrated audio chipsets came, which at first could only supplant the most basic SB cards but slowly got just as good as a mid-level SB card, not to mention the creation of the MP3 and OGG formats, developers rapidly realized developing for MIDI and Soundfont was pointless when you could spend some extra CD space and get the audio to sound EXACTLY how you wanted it on every single computer the game could run on. DirectX ultimately added its own wavetable-emulation, but it was already too late to matter and I don't think there's any games out there which actively allow you to choose between your sound card's MIDI support and DirectX's wavetable emulation. :P

Besides, everything you can do with MIDI, you can do with digitized audio. The ONLY thing MIDI is good for nowadays is communicating musical data between multiple devices for sake of actually making music. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 13 of 34, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think what Kreshna means is why the music can't be sequenced. Computers today are powerful enough to run some audio synthesis in real time at relatively low CPU utilization rates. The only time I ever hear sequenced music is on console games, especially handhelds. If the system shock remake could do the music as sequences using a sound set similar to how the music sounded from the Macintosh CD audio tracks, that'd be rather nice.

I'm tired of music being in MP3 or OGG or proprietary container formats used with FMod and\or Wwise. Hell the game I'm planning to start working on in the future is going to use libopenmpt for music.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 14 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

The entire reason MIDI fell out of favour for gaming was because it never sounds the same between different people's computers

Ah, but that's what I actually like from General MIDI: the music could get better as you move to better sound generators or sound fonts.

DracoNihil wrote:
I think what Kreshna means is why the music can't be sequenced. Computers today are powerful enough to run some audio synthesis […]
Show full quote

I think what Kreshna means is why the music can't be sequenced. Computers today are powerful enough to run some audio synthesis in real time at relatively low CPU utilization rates. The only time I ever hear sequenced music is on console games, especially handhelds. If the system shock remake could do the music as sequences using a sound set similar to how the music sounded from the Macintosh CD audio tracks, that'd be rather nice.
Indeed.

Also, it could be cheaper for the remake developers to use MIDI files from the original game than paying professional musicians to re-create the music. And since there are lots of great-sounding free sound fonts, the could make the soft synth integrated with the game engine (ala GZDoom), and bundle the sound font with it, probably with a nice README file: "this is the sound font we believe to be the best for the game, but you are free to experiment yourself. Just put your favorite sound font in the following folder, and you're good to go." Or something like that. Heck, they can give options to choose between GM and Redbook Audio, like in KM Quake 2 when you can choose between Redbook and OGG.

DracoNihil wrote:

I'm tired of music being in MP3 or OGG or proprietary container formats used with FMod and\or Wwise. Hell the game I'm planning to start working on in the future is going to use libopenmpt for music.

Same here. I already could tell differences between MP3 and Audio CD even when I was still using multimedia speakers, let alone now. It's not that I have golden ears or something, but I think because many MP3s are poorly encoded. I really couldn't stand the .OGG music in Quake 2 remake, for example.

Reply 15 of 34, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like the look of the video, personally.

RoyBatty wrote:

YES YES YES YES YES YES a million times yes. I hate the modern trend for graphically detailed games that have lots of really well done details in the environment, which are then coloured in a very limited (and depressing!) pallette. I don't see any advantage to it, and I wish it would stop.

I'm not saying that they should use all primary colours in a scene, though it does work very well when called for - look at Super Mario 64, it's a twenty year old game, on a 4MB console, running at 320x200 resolution, but it's still great to look at as it has well drawn graphics, with bright, friendly colours). Whereas an over-abundance of faded colours, especially if it's very limited in colour range, it makes everything feel bland and forgettable.

Reply 16 of 34, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kerr Avon wrote:

YES YES YES YES YES YES a million times yes. I hate the modern trend for graphically detailed games that have lots of really well done details in the environment, which are then coloured in a very limited (and depressing!) pallette. I don't see any advantage to it, and I wish it would stop.

I'm not saying that they should use all primary colours in a scene, though it does work very well when called for - look at Super Mario 64, it's a twenty year old game, on a 4MB console, running at 320x200 resolution, but it's still great to look at as it has well drawn graphics, with bright, friendly colours). Whereas an over-abundance of faded colours, especially if it's very limited in colour range, it makes everything feel bland and forgettable.

All N64 games run at 320x240 expect a special few with the expansion pak 😜

Reply 18 of 34, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, my point was that even such a low detailed resolution could produce very attractive graphics by the use of good colours as well as (relatively) detailed objects/characters/environments. Whereas nowadays it's typical to have very (skilfully) detailed graphics but with a very limited colour pallette, and even then the colours often over-accentuate one particular colour, such as grey or brown.

Reply 19 of 34, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually I think there is more variety in game aesthetic today than ever before. There are lots of colorful efforts out there. But maybe you mean you want 90s cyberpunk to return. Origin definitely had that covered back then.