VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 34, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm interested to see how it pans out.
I hope they keep the RPG elements from the original (inventory, medpatches, hardware and software upgrades etc) and don't just make it into an FPS like Bioshock.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 21 of 34, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

I'm interested to see how it pans out.
I hope they keep the RPG elements from the original (inventory, medpatches, hardware and software upgrades etc) and don't just make it into an FPS like Bioshock.

From what I understand, the devs want to streamline the experience, but at the same time, they're asking for and listening to TONS of feedback from the System Shock fan community. To that end, here's my predictions as to how this is going to pan out:

* Some of the grenade and patch types will be cut, simply because of how little they're used.
* Patches will likely be renamed and reworked into hypos to go along with SS2.
* Some of the weapons OR some of the ammo types will be cut, but I doubt both will get cut down together because there still needs to be a variety of one or the other to allow for getting stronger further in. If they DO cut both down they'll likely add some sort of system for improving your stats.
* The ability to learn around corners will be gone. Instead, enemies will have delayed reactions to allow players to strafe out of the way, attack, etc. (As we all know, enemies are pretty instantaneous in their attacks in the original game.)
* Cyberspace will remain, although unlike the main levels, I imagine they're going to greatly rework this aspect.
* While I would wish they'd keep the little mini-games, I've got a feeling those will be cut... :/
* I can't imagine them removing the inventory system entirely, though I have a feeling what they put in place won't be nearly as freeform as the original game and will probably be more attuned to having certain key items show up and only being able to carry one or two each of other useful items.
* They'll probably do entirely new rewiring puzzles instead of using the old mechanics.
* I doubt most of the usable hardware the player acquired in the original will be implemented. The headlamp and jump boots are pretty much the only two needed to beat the game, whereas everything else is either just a glorified extra (infrared, sensearound), or something which could be shoved into ambient stat bonuses (shields, turbo boost, target identifier).

We're likely going to end up with something halfway between SS2 and Bioshock in terms of gameplay.

Again, just predicting things here based on what's been said/shown and my own game design sensibilities. I have no proof of ANY of this. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 22 of 34, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RoyBatty wrote:

I'm up for this if the game is otherwise exactly the same and has modern controls.

As someone on IRC pointed out, they need to spend more time on the models and textures as it looks like a rush job.

Do not care for the U3 lighting, and the low FOV.

That's why it's a pre-Alpha demo. A lot will likely change before final release.

Reply 23 of 34, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thread on www.systemshock.org that the NightDive devs read for feedback:
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=8402.0

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 24 of 34, by FaSMaN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really love the GFX overhaul , but I am afraid that while its nice to have some of the old level design , the straight edges and identical corridors will make it a bit difficult to navigate for players that arent use to SS1 , they might want to update it a lot, or add new textures for every room to differentiate them,or maybe redo the rooms, keep them looking cramp and spaceship like but less rectangular.

Reply 25 of 34, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FaSMaN wrote:

I really love the GFX overhaul , but I am afraid that while its nice to have some of the old level design , the straight edges and identical corridors will make it a bit difficult to navigate for players that arent use to SS1 , they might want to update it a lot, or add new textures for every room to differentiate them,or maybe redo the rooms, keep them looking cramp and spaceship like but less rectangular.

I can't imagine they wouldn't have an automap of some sort; It wouldn't be a Shock game without one. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 28 of 34, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote on 2023-01-03, 00:24:

January 2nd, 2023 Kickstarter update.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15988580 … 17?ref=activity

They are shooting for a March 2023 release. Finally!

Woohoo!!!

Reply 29 of 34, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A couple of weeks back, NightDive Studios finally posted a definite release date for the console versions of System Shock Remake (a very good remake of the1994 classic first person shooter/melee/adventure game).

"The console release of System Shock Remake will take place on May 21, 2024 for Xbox and PlayStation consoles"

There are versions for the Playstation 4, the Playstation 5, the XBox One, and the XBox Series X/S consoles.

Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/15988580 … k/posts/4048002

Bafflingly, NightDive Studios are waiting until the console release date for them to also release patch 1.2 for the PC version. Apparently the fixes and changes contained in this PC only patch have mostly been competed more than six months ago, yet NDS have held on to the patch, instead of, you know, releasing it for the people who paid good money for the game.

The official excuse for the long wait for the PC patch is that they (NightDive Studios) want to assert parity between the PC and the console versions. No, I can't see how that would explain a six month plus wait for delaying the PC patch, especially when the patch not only fixes bugs but also includes long-awaited features like cloud-saving, and playing as a female protagonist.

I've never heard of a game developer sitting on a working patch for a game for so long before releasing it. Does that happen often? And what is the record for how long a company has first created a working patch for a game (especially such an eagerly awaited patch) and then waited a long time to release it?

Reply 31 of 34, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gotta have that parity otherwise you'd have to spend money on that marketing twice I guess. It does aways boggle the mind how shit upon us PC users are and yet "we" keep on taking it...

It really goes back to waiting for the games to be "finished" instead of buying on release.
For certain game studios I wait to buy but I haven't defined a time period yet, for ones I trust I don't wait. I think 1 year from release is a safe bet. Imagine if all PC gamers waited a year to buy the game in protest of release and fix later.
For Denuvo games I wait 5 years to buy and then crack.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 32 of 34, by Dolenc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Its a bit more complicated than "they are all evil".

Patch releases, parity, whatever you call it, gets very complicated when you are on multiple systems. Ms has its own set of rules, sony completely different each with its own restrictions and verifications.

If your patch has some newly developed bugs, theres also a timeframe for the fix, our you are delisted. You can also fail validation a few times and no more validation for you 😉.

Im talking generally not specifically for this case. But keep in mind, what makes clear sense to you, sometimes it isnt as simpl.

Its not just, we have a patch, lets push it!

Reply 33 of 34, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dolenc wrote on 2024-03-31, 11:11:
Its a bit more complicated than "they are all evil". […]
Show full quote

Its a bit more complicated than "they are all evil".

Patch releases, parity, whatever you call it, gets very complicated when you are on multiple systems. Ms has its own set of rules, sony completely different each with its own restrictions and verifications.

If your patch has some newly developed bugs, theres also a timeframe for the fix, our you are delisted. You can also fail validation a few times and no more validation for you 😉.

Im talking generally not specifically for this case. But keep in mind, what makes clear sense to you, sometimes it isnt as simpl.

Its not just, we have a patch, lets push it!

But nothing you have said justifies delaying the patch for the PC version of SSR for over half a year. It contains bug fixes and promised features, and an improved ending to the game, things that players should be given as soon as reasonably possible. The customers paid their money for the game promptly enough, so are entitled to have the bug-fixes (and the features that were promised for the game) within a reasonable time-frame. And sitting on the working patch for 6+ months is not a 'reasonable time-frame'.

I don't understand NightDive Studios. They should be my favourite software house (at least now that Arkane Studios seem to have abandoned making immersive sims) because I love their policy of bringing old but great first person shooters to modern PCs and consoles, especially since I don't care for most modern first person shooters), but NDS themselves can be so frustrating. They often leave bugs unpatched indefinitely, their announcements and updates usually contain little real information, they don't seem to want to answer customer queries, and, since Atari (or whoever it is who now owns the name 'Atari') bought them out, they seem to have grown even more distant.

Reply 34 of 34, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I already beat SSR once after release. I'm going to play and beat it again when the patch is finally released. I'm frustrated at the pace of their release, but I can't do anything about it. Hope to get the big box soon along with the patched game and play it from start to finish one more time.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks