Common searches

Regarding a dog...

Topic actions

First post, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all.

Just looking for some mature opinions on a sensitive matter that has recently arisen in life...

So 2 years ago we were about to take a the kids to dance class. After leaving our house and approaching the car we noticed an orange/brown dog running down the street without an owner around. The dog ran up to us, tail wagging, and I noticed there was no collar. Not only that, but on closer inspection I could see and feel it's ribcage and pelvis so clearly that the dog had to be close to starvation. She was in a good mood however and looked friendly enough. I returned to the house and grabbed a handful of dog treats (we had no dog food in, had used the last tin the night before) and went outside to feed the stray. She wolfed down all 5 of the treats and continued to sniff us all in turn, tail wagging.

After a short debate with the missus, I agreed to take the dog into the back yard and lock her up so we could call the dog warden and report the dog missing. While this was going on the dog was happily drinking from a puddle at the side of the road before returning to me to see if I had any more food to magic up. After another debate, we agreed that we would take the dog with us in the car and after dropping off the kids we would call the dog warden. Our fence is tall but looking at the athletic dog I thought there was a chance we would come home to an empty garden. I noticed as we got the dog in the car she was covered with fleas and dirt, but other than that (and her weight) she seemed in good condition. I carefully checked her teeth and they were sparkling white, obviously a young dog. I would have guessed about a year old.

So long story short now, the dog warden asked us to bring her in to see if she was micro chipped. We were supposed to bring her in the next day, so she slept in the kitchen that night (after a bath, some Frontline for her fleas and a few tins of dog food). The next day we found out she wasn't microchipped and there was no dog matching her breed / description reported missing on the three major channels these dog people use. The warden said they would keep her for a week and if no owner came forward then she would be sent to a rescue place in the hopes of finding another home. If not her life would be subject to how much resources the rescue centre had etc. So the missus said if nobody claims her, she would like to adopt her. My missus is a sucker for lost dogs...

Anyways, the warden asked us if this was the case, is there any chance we could take her home as their own kennels were already over populated. This wasn't a problem, and after a week of nobody coming forward to claim her, and another 20 tins of dog food, they called and said she was ours. We took her to get chipped etc, and I had been carefully watching her around the kids (we had a 2 year old and I was very cautious to make sure the dog was fine around her - and vice versa) and she started to settle in. Slowly at first, probably wondering who the heck *are* these people? But eventually our other older dog showed her the ropes and barring a bit of chewing (the kitchen lino, the chairs, the table, anything that was stuck to the fridge ......) she became part of our family and the kids named her Cinderella.

That was two years ago. Last week our friend called and said she had seen Cinderella on a Facebook page for lost animals and the owner was searching for her. The post read something like "This is a long shot but we lost our dog two years ago and are looking for her. We lost her the week before we were going to get her chipped." and it was accompanied by a photograph of Cinderella .. there was no doubt it was the same dog. We were pretty shocked at first. Didn't expect that at all.

So here is my problem... she has been living with us for two years. That's 2/3rds of her life. We have all bonded with her. Our other dog sadly passed away late last year with lung cancer aged 12, so that was a sad time for everyone. Cinderella kind of made the passing of him a little easier on the kids and the missus, I guess. Now the wife is worried because Cinderella was lost from a town about 5 miles from our house. She is concerned that as so many people have seen the facebook page that someone might try to take the dog from her while she is walking with her, or make a scene of it. The Dog is legally ours, so I told her this will not happen, but I also told her to contact the woman who lost her and explain exactly what happened. That we looked for an owner, the warden looked, we did everything right as any decent person would do who found a lost, starving dog. She wasn't chipped or reported missing so there was nothing more we could do. We gave her a home and fed her and, two years later, she is still with us. Now if this woman had come forward like, a year and a half ago ... or if the dog was older and had lived with this woman and her family for years, I wouldn't HESITATE to give her back. But neither of these are the case.

What threw me though was a few hours later the woman had written on the facebook appeal that, even if the dog was living with a new family and wasn't dead, she was SURE that the family would "do the right thing" and return the dog. She had only just got connected to facebook last week and THIS is why she hadn't made attempts to post about her missing dog. But that isn't really a good reason, I mean everyone knows someone with facebook, and the warden assured me (and I checked and confirmed) that none of the major local or national lost pets websites had any information about her missing at the time.

So what do you think we should do? I really want to contact the woman and explain everything, send her pictures of the dog (we have THOUSANDS and I've drawn her a number of times cos she is a stunner) and say "I hope knowing she is in great health sets your mind at ease, but we are keeping the dog" etc. My wife says we should do nothing. But I don't really agree with that.

What do you guys think we should do? What is the right thing to do?

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 1 of 37, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is that actually a question? Just keep the dog. This woman didn't care good enough for the dog if she lost it. It looks to me that the dog will be better off in your hands anyway. Plus, 2 years is way too long to start looking for a dog. Also, the woman might just be looking for money.

Last edited by Dreamer_of_the_past on 2016-03-21, 03:44. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 37, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would contact the lady and have a serious discussion with her. She might be immovable on the question, and she might even be a jerk about it, but at least you can lay everything on the table. And since the dog is legally yours, there's nothing she can do about it if you keep the dog, although if she's really a jerk she might sue... This is pretty tough. Your kids have a stake in this as well, I guess, having bonded with the dog... what do they think?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 4 of 37, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

I would contact the lady and have a serious discussion with her. She might be immovable on the question, and she might even be a jerk about it, but at least you can lay everything on the table. And since the dog is legally yours, there's nothing she can do about it if you keep the dog, although if she's really a jerk she might sue... This is pretty tough. Your kids have a stake in this as well, I guess, having bonded with the dog... what do they think?

We haven't discussed it with them yet. The 4 year old would be really upset. Our 10 year old is pretty level headed once you explain things to her, but she would still hate to lose Cinderella. What I need is for the wife to get on the same page as me and lose her fear. She has to think logically about it.

I totally agree with your assessment because I have a sneaky feeling that the woman is going to adamant the dog "belongs" with her, and stubornly refuse to listen to reason. She may even report us or whatever. But I still want to do the right thing and call / meet her to explain. I keep thinking if I were in her shoes, I'd appreciate someone doing that, rather than ignoring it entirely. I have seen and read the post (damn our friend, 🤣). If I don't speak to her, I'm a dick. Right?

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 5 of 37, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I were in your shoes I'd make zero contact and move on with my life. It's unfair on the dog but more importantly it's drama and heartache for the kids, and no-one messes with the kids 😠

It's been 2 years, facebook lady can get another dog. And the chance that random strangers will have studied the facebook post enough to identify your dog AND are ballsy enough to make a citizens arrest seems unlikely I think?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 37, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a tough one. Something tells me this woman is going to make you miserable.

I guess go with your conscience, but my gut tells me she will fight you tooth and nail. I'd be very tempted to say "finders keepers" and leave it at that.

Reply 7 of 37, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would keep the dog and not contact her.
Given the state of how the dog was found, it was either caused by A) Neglect or B) Been lost for a long time.

In the case of neglect you don't want the dog to return to the original owner.
In the case of being lost for a long time, what the heck had the owner done at the time? Could have been lost for weeks, months even.

Now that the dog is legally yours, you should keep it and instruct your friends to not answer, and explain the reasons. You should move on.

If. Only IF. the lady finds you (and not the opposite) let her do the work, and let her try going to the authorities. For a case this old, I posit that they are going to let you keep it and tell her to find another dog. The dog probably doesn't even remember her anyway.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 8 of 37, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do not contact, there is no point to do that as others explained above. The dog is yours and a part of your family, period. 😀
Looking for something after 2 years... Man that smells bad from miles...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 37, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It would create a lot of stress for the dog if you now remove it from your family. When found, it was so young that I doubt it has any connection to the previous owner and considers you part of the pack. Most likely the dog would suffer should you separate it from the people who cares for it. I know, because we bought a dog that was 2 years old and it spent a few weeks with us before the seller wanted to see how the dog was doing. The dog started shaking as soon as he saw were we had arrived! The problem there was, that they had another dog and they didn't get along at all and this poor creature thought he was going back there.

Reply 10 of 37, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do not contact.
That woman lost any right to the dog 2 years ago when she made no effort to find it and further, IMHO, she could accused of neglect, irresponsibility and mistreatment.
The dog is better off with you, who will value and take proper care of it.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 11 of 37, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i dont think this is a coincidence - without someone caring for it, a dog will hardly survive 2 years in the streets, especially a young one; i would even consider doing this publicly, go via tor to a new facebook account, and ask this @$%#$ in public why she now cares after 2 years? how can she possibly take good care of the dog when she doesn't immediately react to the dog going awol? and i would also state it there clearly that the only right thing a new owner can do is taking care of the dog himself; also i would just make a statement and never return to the account, dont look for a discussion, just state it in public and leave;

Reply 12 of 37, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that until someone notices your dog in real life and raises the issue you should plead ignorance. If you hadn't seen the Facebook page you wouldn't be asking this question. You have done everything by the book so far, but I don't think 'doing the right thing' extends to reacting to a Facebook appeal. If you can legitimately claim you haven't seen it (and who can check anyway?) then you should just continue with your lives.

If Cinderella is meant to be with you then there's a chance nothing will happen and you won't need to worry about it. If the dog is found... well I think it would be useful to speak to someone who has experience in these matters - someone at the dog pound or an animal charity may be able to offer some advice. I doubt this will end up in court (someone already mentioned this possibility) but that will be a test of the previous 'owner's' dedication.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 13 of 37, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Iris030380 wrote:

The Dog is legally ours

Is it really? I do not know what the law of your state or country is regarding lost property or lost dogs, but typically dogs are considered personal property. The original owner typically has three years to recover lost personal property. You only had the dog for two years.

Since you appear to have taken reasonable steps to advertise the finding of this dog so that it may be returned to its original owner, she has no real legal claim except to recover the dog. You can always counterclaim for the upkeep and maintenance for the dog for the two years she was with you. All the dog food, shots, trips to the vet, toys, collars, micro-chipping, add it all up. If she had not lost the dog, she would have to pay that herself. She cannot expect someone else to have kenneled her dog for free. She will likely back off at that point once presented with a two-year bill.

Last edited by Great Hierophant on 2016-03-21, 17:36. Edited 1 time in total.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 14 of 37, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know... the dog was reported to the warden, missing info could not be found, a week has passed before it went to the rescue center (or adoption which is what happened).
I'd say it's legally Iris030380's dog now since all things that the regulations dictate were followed to the letter (apparently).

I want to say that here this time is 3 weeks to re-claim lost goods (or whatever) , after that time passes it's finders-keepers. 3 years does seem a lot of time for that...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 16 of 37, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I myself have adopted a dog a year ago, and if I encountered your situation, I would refuse any contact with the previous owner.

If she shows up and starts claiming, show her the bill for all the dog food, chipping procedure, shampoo, toys, whatever you purchased for her dog over 2 years. When people have to pay $$$ for their "loved ones", they tend to quickly change their mind.

Reply 18 of 37, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RacoonRider wrote:

I myself have adopted a dog a year ago, and if I encountered your situation, I would refuse any contact with the previous owner.

If she shows up and starts claiming, show her the bill for all the dog food, chipping procedure, shampoo, toys, whatever you purchased for her dog over 2 years. When people have to pay $$$ for their "loved ones", they tend to quickly change their mind.

No, no! Never do that in cases like that.
By starting showing bills you acknowledge that the dog in question was theirs but the thing is that they can't prove anything. No chip, no missing-entry, no claim 2 years ago - they can't make a solid legal claim that the dog is theirs - it's not a person we are talking about that has a face to recognize or do a DNA test. All they can do is try to claim the dog based in pictures and with the mistakes the current owner does. Don't give them any help at all in this - especially when you did everything the warden told you.

This story stinks to high heaven - assuming the alleged previous owner starts making claims.
Avoid all contact and mistakes at all costs. I have adopted several stray dogs and I would never return them unless the owners showed up 1~2 weeks after they lost it and I was convinced it was an honest mistake.

Reply 19 of 37, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If there was no ID tag's of any kind. Then it is straight forward I would say.
Just keep a low profile on this.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011