Common searches

Regarding a dog...

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 37, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why would you tell her? She's put both the dog and you in horrible situations. You don't owe her anything.

But yeah, she hasn't randomly decided to look after two years. I'm thinking she knows and is after money.

Reply 21 of 37, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What sucks is the possibility of running into the previous owner in some way due to their proximity. But if that time ever comes, you can state "My dog is chipped and I have records to prove it." YOU can prove that YOUR dog is chipped and that you paid for it. The other person cannot. How would they be able to prove that Cinderella is their dog?

Still, the prospect of potentially running into this person (or someone they know) while walking the dog might be enough for me to take the initiative to contact them. There are lots of things that are in your favor. You did all the right things in attempting to contact the owner, and for the past two years you've been doing all the right things as Cinderella's owner. Your family has a strong, current emotional bond with the dog; the other person's bond is two years weakened.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 22 of 37, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

If she shows up and starts claiming, show her the bill for all the dog food, chipping procedure, shampoo, toys, whatever you purchased for her dog over 2 years. When people have to pay $$$ for their "loved ones", they tend to quickly change their mind.

I had the exact same thoughts. Oh man, after seeing the 2 year bill she will back up in no time...

Reply 23 of 37, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At least let someone ask how old the dog was when she lost it, that way you know the age of the dog.

I would like to know how she lost the dog and what she did do to get it back. 2 years is a long long time.

There was a lady in the news here that lost a cat 12 years ago. She got a phonecall from a petcenter that found the cat. The lady was crying like crazy and was very happy that she chipped the cat and found it again, she thought it died ofcourse. They didn't say anything about another ''owner'' but if there was one he/she should have checked if the cat was chipped in the first place.

You checked and did nothing wrong, i think it is your dog, your family had every right to keep it. But i do think the original owner needs to know what happened with the dog, and if i was you i would like to know what happened when she lost it and what she did about it.

btw the dog might have looked neglected, but there is also the possibility that it was lost a couple of weeks before that?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 25 of 37, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meljor wrote:
At least let someone ask how old the dog was when she lost it, that way you know the age of the dog. […]
Show full quote

At least let someone ask how old the dog was when she lost it, that way you know the age of the dog.

I would like to know how she lost the dog and what she did do to get it back. 2 years is a long long time.

There was a lady in the news here that lost a cat 12 years ago. She got a phonecall from a petcenter that found the cat. The lady was crying like crazy and was very happy that she chipped the cat and found it again, she thought it died ofcourse. They didn't say anything about another ''owner'' but if there was one he/she should have checked if the cat was chipped in the first place.

You checked and did nothing wrong, i think it is your dog, your family had every right to keep it. But i do think the original owner needs to know what happened with the dog, and if i was you i would like to know what happened when she lost it and what she did about it.

btw the dog might have looked neglected, but there is also the possibility that it was lost a couple of weeks before that?

My thoughts exactly. Just for peace of mind I would like to ask her what exactly happened regarding the dog disappearing in the first place, and why she wasn't chipped or properly contained etc. Presuming she is legit, she must have some answers.

I am pretty sure she was 1 year old when they "lost" her, judging by the photograph she posted on Facebook which said "picture taken one week before we lost her", and how she looks now. Also I checked her teeth when we first met the dog in the street and she was clearly very young, I would have guessed about a year old. That would make her 3 years old now. She has fully grown and everything is in proportion to her huge paws and her muscles seem pretty well refined. She also grew a long moustache and a beard, obviously she is some kind of lurcher / wolfhound cross. I call her Ming The Merciless now.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 26 of 37, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks everyone for your input. I showed this thread to the wife and we both read everything. This time I chose to not go with my gut, ultimately it is my wifes decision anyways, and she contacted the original dog warden who dealt with us 2 years ago to confirm that we did everything above board, and that the dog is legally ours. Just to see if this woman had any legit claim to her. The warden said not, she is our dog now. Based on that, and the posts here, my wife decided to just forget we ever saw the facebook appeal at all and just let the chips fall where they may.

If anything ever does come up regarding a chance meeting with the owner or someone else, I can deal with it. Cinderella is safe with us.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 27 of 37, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
840.03 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 28 of 37, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
980.45 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 29 of 37, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
873.29 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 30 of 37, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a happy dog right there. And I don't even like dogs. I like injustice a lot less.

Please update us if anything further should transpire!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 32 of 37, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Excellent decision.
Thanks for the pictures too, helps put a face on this story's protagonist 😀

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 33 of 37, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:

And I don't even like dogs.

i wonder why? the dogs were the only ones who tries to cheer me up seriously when i was depressed, they are easily 10 times as compassionate as people;

brassicGamer wrote:

I like injustice a lot less.

i'd say the same about myself, still i'm pretty sure we do consider different stuff injust;

Reply 34 of 37, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome then Iris030380 , it was the right thing to decide in my book. Cinderella is awesome too 😁
Keep us posted just in case !

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 35 of 37, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, who's a good girl? *fainting of admiration*

Post scriptum: I don't even think the previous owner would even recognise Cinderella after all that time.

Reply 36 of 37, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good choice.
1- It's your dog. Was awarded to you by a public official.
2- Dogs from the same litter often look identical even if mixed breed so there is no way to prove it's the same dog (and it may not be) even if the one in the photo looks the same. Several siblings could have ended up on the street.
3- That woman is too irresponsible to own a pet and probably wouldn't take good care of one.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 37 of 37, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm glad you've decided to keep your dog, who is adorable by the way. The only way I would reach out to the woman is if you had a lawyer and you made sure, absolutely sure, that she had no recourse to take the dog away from you (which it sounds like she doesn't).

I love my dog, I can't imagine not having him around. He's always there for me to cheer me up after a bad day at work.
Hopefully your Cinderella gets to spend another dozen or so healthy years with you.

On another note, playing Fallout 4 I usually take Dogmeat as my companion, and I go nuts anytime someone tries to attack him, even though he's nigh invulnerable. He looks so damn real, it's like you're looking at an actual dog and not just some dog-shaped avatar.