VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is an annual gaming convention in Oklahoma. I'll be there Saturday. Would be nice to meet anyone else who might be there.

Details: http://superbitcon.com/

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 11, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks interesting, never heard of this before.

Too bad I can't go on the count of: I can't drive, and I have no money to spend anyways.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 4 of 11, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm going to try out the southeast vintage computer fest this weekend. Looks tiny, but its a start. We used to have a large video game gathering at DragonCon, but it died off years ago. Wish we had something like BitCon, but it look like it would be a lot of fun. Enjoy the wonders of 8 and 16 bit gaming!

Reply 5 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kodai wrote:

I'm going to try out the southeast vintage computer fest this weekend. Looks tiny, but its a start. We used to have a large video game gathering at DragonCon, but it died off years ago. Wish we had something like BitCon, but it look like it would be a lot of fun. Enjoy the wonders of 8 and 16 bit gaming!

I think I'd rather go to something specific to vintage computing, since that is more my area of interest. But this is what we got in driving distance here, so I'll take it. BTW, this is pretty cool: I was looking through their photo album from last year and found my son and his buddy on photo #51! Pretty cool. I didn't find me in any of the photos though. Last year was the first year we went.

Reply 6 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, so Super Bitcon was pretty fun! It's not a huge convention, but it's big enough to take half a day to go through carefully. There are SO many console games being sold, and I was afraid I wouldn't find any PC games. At first, I didn't. But I found a table with a couple of grade school aged girls sitting at that had a handful of boxed PC games. After talking with them, I learned these were old games from their dad and dad's friend, who were manning their "real" table with all the NES stuff behind them. So I looked through and found a few things of interest. They weren't in the best of condition, and some of the floppies were obviously copied from originals that either died or they kept. 😉 Here's what I scored:

loot.jpg
Filename
loot.jpg
File size
735.75 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I was really hesitant to buy the boxed games, as I have ZERO boxed games and wasn't sure I wanted to start collecting them now. But these three really stood out (for nostalgic reasons) and I couldn't help myself, especially when they happily took my first offer ($35 for the three boxed titles). Here's what was inside...
Knights of the Sky:

knights.jpg
Filename
knights.jpg
File size
579.93 KiB
Views
File license

Ultima V:

ultima5.jpg
Filename
ultima5.jpg
File size
683.56 KiB
Views
File license

Ultima VI:

ultima6.jpg
Filename
ultima6.jpg
File size
734.77 KiB
Views
File license

Doom3 was $5 from another vendor who only had 3 PC titles in a sea of Nintendo.

Here are a few highlights...
A Batman-themed NES console cabinet:

nesbatman.jpg
Filename
nesbatman.jpg
File size
529.24 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 7 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This Delorean greeted us when we walked into the convention hall:

delorean.jpg
Filename
delorean.jpg
File size
332.88 KiB
Views
File license

And I had to sit and play a few minutes of The Oregon Trail on this Apple IIGS:

apple2gs.jpg
Filename
apple2gs.jpg
File size
525.38 KiB
Views
File license

All in all it was a fun experience, but the 2.5 hour drive each way made for a long day!

Oh, I got to meet and shake hands with Mark Turmell! He programmed quite a few popular console titles back in the day. His crowning achievement was NBA Jam, but he also programmed games for the Atari 2600, Apple II, Commodore 64 and others. I had the pleasure of hearing him share a few stories about the challenges of programming for the 2600. Neat guy. He's still involved in game development.

Other highlights include getting my son a pillow patterned after an NES controller, and sitting down at NES Punchout! and getting to the second Piston Honda in one go after not having played the game in about a year. My son's buddy picked up a Gameboy cart (Goldeneye) for his DS so I got to listen to James Bond music from the back seat on the way home.

Hope you guys enjoy this little sliver of my retro experience.

Reply 8 of 11, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I keep reading Super Bitcoin. 😁

clueless1 wrote:

And I had to sit and play a few minutes of The Oregon Trail on this Apple IIGS:

apple2gs.jpg

Oooh, I want that Apple IIGS. 🙁

Very nice story though. 😀

Reply 9 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks! My first computer was an Apple IIe, so it was pretty cool for me. 😀

Just installed Ultima6--the floppies all work! Now on to Ultima5 and Knights of the Sky...

Ultima5 installs but chokes on the floppy check (copy protection). Haven't looked further into it yet.

Knights of the Sky installs and runs. Pretty cool... 😎