VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 25, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CU-133A+ wrote:

Linux can be frustrating, but it is worth the learning curve.

I agree. I actually use it as my primary operating system nowadays, mainly because Windows has some irreconcilable sound issues on my machine. It might be a driver issue, I don't know, but regardless, I'm starting to like Linux better than Windows in a number of ways, and whenever I try to use Windows I often find myself missing some of my favorite features from Linux.

Reply 23 of 25, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CU-133A+ wrote:
Linux can be frustrating, but it is worth the learning curve. […]
Show full quote
computergeek92 wrote:

Geeez.... Can't even trust Linux to do the most simple things...

Linux can be frustrating, but it is worth the learning curve.

What are the file attributes? Go to the directory of the file and in a shell run:

# ls -l

You may need to run the folllwing on the file to change is attributes, if for some reason only one user or root is permitted access.

# chmod

That being said, most likely an NTFS issue. You could put it on a USB flash then boot into XP?

I put the file on a USB flash drive for XP and that did work, but it was nicer to place files anywhere I wanted in the XP folders.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 24 of 25, by CU-133A+

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I agree. I actually use it as my primary operating system nowadays, mainly because Windows has some irreconcilable sound issues on my machine. It might be a driver issue, I don't know, but regardless, I'm starting to like Linux better than Windows in a number of ways, and whenever I try to use Windows I often find myself missing some of my favorite features from Linux.

I haven't made a full switch, but I now always dual boot on any system I build. I find Linux is invaluable for what I mentally file as 'proper' computing tasks such as programming, file system changes, managing hardware, archiving media and the like.

Everything else, in particular gaming, audio editing and 'work' tasks such as word processing I go to windows.

Ultimately, I know you can do both in either, but I tend to play to strengths of each.

Reply 25 of 25, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Linux is superb for audio editing when you use the right plumbing. The central issue is that Someone Who Shall Not be Named thought Pulseaudio was a great idea when it's alpha quality software not fit for human consumption.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder