VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My list includes PhilsComputerLab (of course), Lazy Game Reviews, Pixelmusement (Ancient DOS Games), HighTreason610, MetalJesusRocks, Gggmanlives, and mt32vault.

Non-retro subscriptions: OMGcraft and ThinkerThunker.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 35, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got a few 😁 :

-Phil's Computer Lab
-GGmanlives
-Lazy Game Reviews
-Pushing Up Roses
-Michael Huth (elianda 😁)
-Pixelmusement
-Matt Barton (Matt Chat)
-RetroCompaqGuy
-GameSack
-Matthewmatosis (mixed channel, but I feel like it does suit this list)
-MarphitimusBlackimus (focuses on GoldSource stuff)
-Metal Jesus Rocks
-The Examined Life (of Gaming)
-GGBeyond
-RetroSwim
-RetroGameTech
-Jim Leonard (trixter 😀)
-Lord Karnage (Classic Game Room HD)

Last edited by F2bnp on 2016-04-05, 16:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 35, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

f2bnp: you're subscribed to me as well 🤣 😉

My list:
-Phil's Computer Lab
-Lazy Game Reviews
-Michael Huth
-Pixelmusement
-Matt Barton (Matt Chat)
-Metal Jesus Rocks
-GGBeyond
-RetroSwim
-Gaming Historian
-The 8-bit guy
-SiliconClassics

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 3 of 35, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome, you guys are giving me some new channels to try. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 35, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
f2bnp: you're subscribed to me as well lol ;) […]
Show full quote

f2bnp: you're subscribed to me as well 🤣 😉

My list:
-Phil's Computer Lab
-Lazy Game Reviews
-Michael Huth
-Pixelmusement
-Matt Barton (Matt Chat)
-Metal Jesus Rocks
-GGBeyond
-RetroSwim
-Gaming Historian
-The 8-bit guy
-SiliconClassics

Whoops, edited that mistake 😜.

Reply 5 of 35, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Hehe, I wasn't 100% sure though, just remember you've been an avid commenter, so I just assumed 😉

I need to get out some more videos soon, but been busy with my job and my hardware hoarding 😜

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 35, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

Hehe, I wasn't 100% sure though, just remember you've been an avid commenter, so I just assumed 😉

I need to get out some more videos soon, but been busy with my job and my hardware hoarding 😜

Oh I am, just totally forgot since you haven't updated in a while . Love your stuff man, but no hurries. I'd rather people only create videos when they really want to/have something to say/show anyway 😊 .

Reply 8 of 35, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Except somewhere in all of that, you pretty much cold-shouldered me for no apparent reason. Fair game, you don't like my stuff, but much like people who bash the dislike button¹, it always puzzles me why people do things like that without any explanation, how am I meant to improve if i don't know what i'm missing? You weren't the first, vwestlife did it years before, LGR *cough* sellout cunt *cough* did the same (Along with turning his back on the Duke Nukem community), RGVX too, all of them run huge channels now so whatever, evidently I'm not worthy or some shit.²

Here are a few I subscribe to that I feel are worth a mention;

> WaybackTech - In many ways, similar videos to my own but probably much less boring than me
> Nelizmastr - Only recently ventured into this stuff, no idea if he'll continue but it's nice to see a new face on the scene, got the whole system (PMMX) right from the word go and didn't let the video drag
> uxwbill - His formula is a bit like that of vwestlife. I can sympathize with this guy because he is unashamedly a normal guy living in a normal house much like me instead of having everything look like the Apple Store
> Roadgeek - Whilst the editing is basic and his videos are probably longer than they need to be, he gets the nostalgia factor right and is still worth checking out.
- Videos sans frontier and lmull3 fall into the same crowd as the above, though focus on retro much less. The latter seems to spend a lot of time with more recent laptops. Still interesting though. As for VSF, he's worth checking out for the awesome Scottish accent if nothing else.
> VintageCG - Uploads old CGI demo reels. Seems to have run out of them, but you can at least watch what is already there.
> Techmoan - Occasionally does videos on old Hi-Fi stuff and the rest of his content is interesting. He almost never touches computers however.

¹ In some cases, without watching anything. I found it monumentally hilarious when some noob from Australia hit the button on every video I ever uploaded in the space of a few hours (so obviously not watching them) seemingly because I stated a dislike of the way some things are over here at Vogons. Oops. I suspect the same buffoon was the one who tried to shut down my channel and failed miserably. They're obviously a coward anyway as they never came forward or said what their gripes were with me. Whatever, it achieved nothing but a slight boost to my search ranking, whoever it was obviously has no life anyway so I can only guess their either jealous or it is another YouTuber feeling threatened. Personally, I'm just flattered they show such dedication to this day, I must be awesome to have left enough of an impression that they are willing to spend so much time on me, we're going on a year now I think.

² For the record, I don't really care, I just find it strange that such a pattern emerged. Over the years most of the largest channels on this scene were subscribers and even regular comment contributors at some stage and all of them disappeared. However, it would be interesting to know why, especially when one of them outright copied me early on until I altered my format and went into a more advanced, more in-depth style that I don't think they could compete with... That might have alienated some of my audience I guess as they may be unable to take it in, but I doubt it. I take pride in the fact my audience isn't comprised of idiots and twelve-year-olds, it is one of the things I like about my channel having grown slowly and naturally as opposed to being some overblown sellout cesspool like some of them are, channels where you can't go three seconnds without a stupid comment war breaking out and never get a reply from the video's creator. I sometimes take a while to reply, but that is because I like to put time into that, I believe in showing respect to, and interacting with, my audience as much as possible. At the end of the day, they're the ones who sat there for 30 minutes and listened to me ramble about obsolete crap the wider world doesn't really care about.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 10 of 35, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ditto. I don't really subscribe to Youtube "retro" channels either. Instead Youtube recommends videos based on my own videos

Hell the words "retro", "8-bit", "old school" and such makes me cringe so much now.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 35, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

None as I log into my Youtube account less than once a year. I'm that odd kind of person who dosn't save any browser history or cookies to hinder Youtube and others finding out about my bizarre fetish for old computers. I don't think it's very effective though as Pay Pal and Ebay know about my dirty secrets.

I still watch mostly the same stuff as the rest of you.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 13 of 35, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My YouTube subs are as follows:

Mostly/All Retro Gaming
DOS Nostalgia - Covers a variety of retro topics, including gameplay footage and a podcast.
Gaming Historian - Extremely in-depth videos of the history of games and gaming.
Jim Leonard - Has a number of gameplay videos related to the original IBM PC, plus a few other intriguing things...
JonTron - Aww... he has the cutest little eye-laser-firing robobird! I think he reviews pretty crazy things too...
Pushing Up Roses - Primarily covers adventure games and she has a very quirky and fun sense of humor!
RetroSwim - Covers more-so the hardware than the software, including modding/repair topics.
Scykoh - Glitch videos and LPs on his "Plays" channel
TNT Amusements - Arcade/Pinball outlet which makes videos to showcase the work they do restoring these things.

Some Retro Gaming, Some Modern
A+Start - TONS of glitch videos and a few speedruns.
Cinemassacre - All things AVGN and everything else James and Mike decide to screw around with!
GC9X Home Video - Part of the Hardcore Gaming 101 group, does longplay videos with commentary from multiple participants.
Lazy Game Reviews - ANYTHING but lazy, with tons of awesome review videos and many other kinds of videos sprinkled in!
PAPA Pinball - Has an archive of gameplay footage of many pinball machines, plus coverage of tournaments.
ProJared - Game reviews which are both serious and hilarious!

All Modern Gaming
Aureylian - Mostly does Minecraft-related videos; She has very fun reactions to everything and a great sense of humor!
DavidAngel64 - Pretty much all Let's Plays of varying games. Hasn't been very active much lately.
DireWolf20 - DAILY Let's Play videos, almost exclusively modded Minecraft, also spotlights mods to show exactly how they work.

Not Strictly Gaming or Not Gaming at All
Ashens - Points a camera at a sofa and shows off various products, mostly really cheap and/or unknown things.
The Ben Heck Show - Electronics Engineering antics coupled with terrible acting!
Dorkly - TONS of short videos which make fun of movies and games
Planet Dolan - Many Top ___ Lists, with a "Gaming" channel devoted exclusively to gaming stuff.
Zeta-Neubourn - One of my friends who VERY recently started a new review show and thus only has one episode up... Very decent start though! :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 14 of 35, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't believe I'm on this list so many times.... You guys!!! 😊

I have a pretty long list, so I'll just mention stuff from memory that isn't listed above:

- Many a True Nerd (Does challenge playthroughs of games, like Fallout 3 and New Vegas no heal permadeath, and fun British commentary)
- Aussie50 (He has a machine shop type job, so a pretty well kitted out home workshop, and a knack for misadventure)
- EEVBlog (A video blog about Electronics Engineering, provides insight in to how products are designed and tested, as well as electronics theory, teardowns and more)
- Shane McRetro (Videos on games hardware repair, including dev hardware and obscure stuff)
- Computerphile (Explanatory videos on computer science concepts from the University of Nottingham)
- Periodic Videos (Also from University of Nottingham, but this one is obviously about chemistry. Features the lovely Professor Poliakoff, who always has interesting stories and anecdotes on the subject matter)
- Mike's Electric Stuff (An electronics engineer that does teardowns on expensive gear so we don't have to!)

I know there are others, most of them have been mentioned already though! 😜

Also, as a display is what an astute reader I am (i.e. not at all), I have just now subbed to HighTreason.

I'll be checking out your back-catalogue later tonight, dude! 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 15 of 35, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I'll do the same. The YouTube algorithm is rubbish as there are plenty of good channels such as yours out there that have not once shown up. Instead it is too busy recommending I watch ReviewTechUSA (Which I have no interest in seeing), EEVBlog (Who I already subscribed to) and some obscure anime stuff I've never watched and never will. I shall probably go through this thread properly in a few days and check out a bunch of the channels listed I have not previously seen. Funny you mention Aussie50, I nearly added him when writing my list but figured he didn't fit here, but i suppose he does occasionally drag out an old PC.

Huh, another T3200 owner. Never actually seen the innards of the 286 version properly before, so that was interesting. I just hit one video at random, but I'll probably look more later when I've been to sleep... Yeah, 7AM and I'm still awake, oops.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 16 of 35, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't really bother with the subscriptions thing anymore. I also have a channel of my own but nothing I put there is really worth anyones time.

Except for that 4 hour recording of Seal of Nehahra apparently...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 17 of 35, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I have a youtube channel and some of you have even subscribed. However it is nothing I run professionally. While youtube has a convenient interface to watch videos it has some problems:
- non-monetarized channels (where I don't allow ads) are ranked considerably lower up to the point that I can not find some of my own videos on my own channel for no obvious reason.
- Copyrighted content/music detection enables claims on videos which enable ads. The revenue goes to the claiming company. The whole procedure to dispute such claims poses the risk that the whole channel gets deleted. It is also nearly impossible to dispute even if you have a written permission of the copyright holder.
- Quality reduction of videos and flaky support of luma ranges as well as keeping the correct aspect ratio.

So if a viewer doesn't care about this he goes well with youtube, for all others there is usually a link in the description that points to a encode of very high quality.
The goal for the captures is more like preserving software output for software that is difficult to get running, needs very specific hardware etc. Old demoscene productions belong typically to this field. It is more important that others view it to check that the archived content is correctly captured as it is sometimes not 100% clear how it has to look. I got some very critical reviewers for the captures (hello Harekiet 😉 ). So it happened several times that I removed uploaded videos again and recaptured it.

I usually don't watch so many other videos as I got especially from youtube the impression that the content of most videos could be as well written down on a single page as text. So reading such information is much faster than watching a video until it comes to the point. There are exceptions of course for videos where really something is shown that can not so easily described in text form. So recently I found quite interesting the CGA/Composite comparison from 8 bit guy as well as the progress of the Unreal Engine 4 from GDC 2016, progress of procedural generation in No Man's Sky / Star Citizen etc.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 18 of 35, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's some more I didn't see listed already.

8-Bit Eric
AlphaOmegaSin
Barnacules Nerdgasm
CGRundertow
Classic Game Room
DidYouKnowGaming?
Gamester81
GameTechUS
HappyConsoleGamer
implantgames
MrMario2011
My Life in Gaming
Pat the NES Punk
PeteDorr
Retroware
The Game Chasers
The Zett

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 19 of 35, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elianda wrote:

So if a viewer doesn't care about this he goes well with youtube, for all others there is usually a link in the description that points to a encode of very high quality.
The goal for the captures is more like preserving software output for software that is difficult to get running, needs very specific hardware etc. Old demoscene productions belong typically to this field. It is more important that others view it to check that the archived content is correctly captured as it is sometimes not 100% clear how it has to look. I got some very critical reviewers for the captures (hello Harekiet 😉 ). So it happened several times that I removed uploaded videos again and recaptured it.

I usually don't watch so many other videos as I got especially from youtube the impression that the content of most videos could be as well written down on a single page as text. So reading such information is much faster than watching a video until it comes to the point. There are exceptions of course for videos where really something is shown that can not so easily described in text form. So recently I found quite interesting the CGA/Composite comparison from 8 bit guy as well as the progress of the Unreal Engine 4 from GDC 2016, progress of procedural generation in No Man's Sky / Star Citizen etc.

Some good points.

Getting smooth videos is always a challenge. Captures are always a bit off from 60 fps and then you get odd skips. YT does support 50 Hz which is nice, but you can't upload 70, 75 or 85 Hz videos for example. Some of your videos, viewed on the desktop with adjusted refresh rate, very nice.

With the text, I just don't like reading and writing much. I'm very much a visual / auditory person. There are excellent written resources, nerdlypleasures for example, he writes very well and consistently updates. I do watch a lot of YT as you just can't get that content on TV for example. And I like to see how others do their videos, getting inspired and ideas.

YouTube, Facebook, Website