User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rgart wrote:

Police Quest 3
Police Quest 4
Ultima 8

PQ3 is MT32. It can be patched for GM with a third party tool, but can't use GM by default.

thecrankyhermit wrote:

The Dagger of Amon Ra

Dagger has a great soundtrack when using GM, as does Conquest of the Longbow, but they were originally composed for MT-32. As wonderful as they sound, I don't feel that these games best represent the new capabilities of sample based MIDI.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 21 of 48, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:

Warcraft 2 is one of the few games where Sound Canvas really beats competition to a pulp.

Really? CD Audio included?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 22 of 48, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The CD-Audio to Warcraft 2 sounds like pre-recorded MIDI to me. With a sufficiently realistic and detailed Sound Font you can end up with music like the CD tracks.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 23 of 48, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really like Warcraft 2's sound track, it's probably my favorite Blizzard sound track of all time. But making the MIDI sound like the CD-ROM version isn't that interesting to me. I have the CD-ROM version.

I'd still like help curating the Sierra list. Going to try a different approach. Here are all of the Sierra games with GM that I've played fairly recently. Which are the most worth re-playing just for the music?

EcoQuest 2
Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist
Gabriel Knight
Gabriel Knight 2
Leisure Suit Larry 6
Pepper's Adventures in Time
Police Quest I Remake
Police Quest IV
Space Quest V
Space Quest 6

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 24 of 48, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

The CD-Audio to Warcraft 2 sounds like pre-recorded MIDI to me. With a sufficiently realistic and detailed Sound Font you can end up with music like the CD tracks.

IIRC, it was recorded from an SC-88 (one step up from the SC-55). The tempo is also slightly slower than the MIDI files.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 25 of 48, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thecrankyhermit wrote:

Now that Roland Sound Canvas VA has reached "good enough" territory

Unfortunally Win7 required by SCVA is not "good enough" for DOSBox as blocksize=256 there makes garbage from music, while higher values give sensible lag in action games.
Also SCVA has no identical SC-55 emulation as is based on SC-88. Just better than other known ways today.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 26 of 48, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine's set to 1024. If that introduces input lag, I never noticed it. I don't play a lot of twitch action games in DOSBox.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 27 of 48, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thecrankyhermit wrote:

Also, I understand Lands of Lore uses capital tone fallback, and that won't work in Sound Canvas VA (or anything other than an old GS hardware synth, really). Is there any way around this, like a patch, or fixed version of DOSBox, or ScummVM? If not, how much of a difference does it make?

I originally played Lands of Lore with a SCC-1 card back in the day (equivalent to SC-55 rev. 1). I recently tried it in Dosbox with a SC-55Mk2 and noticed the problems related to capital tone fallback - mostly missing sound effects. A patch would be welcome but I don't think there's any. Might & Magic IV and Might & Magic V also exhibit this problem and there's apparently a patch, but I've never been able to make it work... so it seems the best way to experience these games is to play them with an original SC-55 or similar.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 28 of 48, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thecrankyhermit wrote:

Mine's set to 1024. If that introduces input lag, I never noticed it.

To compare you may try a platformer with 256 and 1024 on CRT, as LCD gives a lag iteself, what makes harder to notice the difference.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 30 of 48, by thecrankyhermit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MMaximus wrote:
thecrankyhermit wrote:

Also, I understand Lands of Lore uses capital tone fallback, and that won't work in Sound Canvas VA (or anything other than an old GS hardware synth, really). Is there any way around this, like a patch, or fixed version of DOSBox, or ScummVM? If not, how much of a difference does it make?

I originally played Lands of Lore with a SCC-1 card back in the day (equivalent to SC-55 rev. 1). I recently tried it in Dosbox with a SC-55Mk2 and noticed the problems related to capital tone fallback - mostly missing sound effects. A patch would be welcome but I don't think there's any. Might & Magic IV and Might & Magic V also exhibit this problem and there's apparently a patch, but I've never been able to make it work... so it seems the best way to experience these games is to play them with an original SC-55 or similar.

Where is this patch? I'd like to try it.

And with Lands of Lore, I wonder if there's salvation with ScummVM. I'd test it, but I don't know what it's supposed to sound like. Even if ScummVM has the same problem, fixing it there ought to be easier than making a DOS patch.

Running:
Windows 10
Core i5-6600
Geforce GTX 970
8GB RAM

Reply 31 of 48, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tilakat made various awesome patches, mainly for GM synths - there is a Xeen patch there as well: Sound Driver Enhancement Hacks - General MIDI

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 32 of 48, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I compared Warcraft 2 CD Audio to SC-VA and apparently the CD audio uses all the SC-XX models for various instruments in the same track and each instrument is equalized differently.
So it is not a simple direct SC-88 recording, they probably used the SC-88Pro and recorded each instrument separately from the 55,88,88pro map that sounded the best to them on that particular instrument.
I can hear instruments that sound closer to the SC-55, they tweaked each instrument in their recording software and mixed them all together.
The instruments are definitely from the sound canvas units but the mix is different and not a straightforward recording of the 88 model.

EDIT:
On a closer listen, most if not all instruments are from SC-55, especially the "Trombone" "Choir Aahs" "French Horn".
If I would have to give a verdict, I would say that the CD Audio is a studio remix of SC-55 instruments with carefully balanced EQ and Effects crafted for each instrument.
Blasphemy I know, everyone says it's the 88, but there are some instrument that are radically different between the 88 and the CD track, where the 55 is much closer.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 33 of 48, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doesn't the 88 have the 55 samples onboard though? Or the 88pro at least?

My Github

Reply 35 of 48, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So one unit could still have been used, even if everything was recorded separately. I admire the work they went into to make the music sound the best it could be, if that was truly the case!

My Github

Reply 37 of 48, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MusicallyInspired wrote:

Have to echo Descent. Some tracks are hit and miss, but a few of them are spectacular pieces of Sound Canvas MIDI engineering. Brilliant stuff.

Descent intro sounds better with Yamaha XG IMO.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 38 of 48, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:

Have to echo Descent. Some tracks are hit and miss, but a few of them are spectacular pieces of Sound Canvas MIDI engineering. Brilliant stuff.

Descent intro sounds better with Yamaha XG IMO.

I think I actually prefer the AWE32 soundtrack for Descent. Something about my AWE64 with electronic/techno sounding music just fits better.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 39 of 48, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just want to clarify something. When we say "Sound Canvas" games, are we talking about games that offer a specific "Sound Canvas" option for music or a regular "General MIDI" option?

I know that games like Descent offer a "Sound Canvas" option, but I was always under the impression that selecting it gave you the same music as "General MIDI," even if you had an SC-55. Is it really pumping out Roland GS music?