VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While doing some random things, I suddenly noticed I'm missing my Audigy 2 ZS MIDI synths. They're gone, nada, nothing...only crappy Microsoft GS Wavetable synth is available:

1.png
Filename
1.png
File size
14.05 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
4.png
Filename
4.png
File size
51.26 KiB
Views
File license
5.png
Filename
5.png
File size
23.27 KiB
Views
File license

I haven't really changed anything recently (I changed the mobo and proc last year from i7 Nehalem to Haswell, while retaining the same Windows 7 install). I've had the same 2010 year Audigy2 ZS drivers from the start.

I've reinstalled the drivers and also tried the newer (modded) DanielK drivers from 2015. I still don't have any MIDI ports...

It's really hard to find anything similar to this problem as hardly anybody uses midi nowadays. I also have no clue as to should there be devices in the Device Manager or somewhere else where the midi ports would be visible?

3.png
Filename
3.png
File size
4.27 KiB
Views
File license
2.png
Filename
2.png
File size
32.37 KiB
Views
File license

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 2 of 10, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a long shot but maybe you'd like to try it:

Sometimes Windows seem to install unnecessary midi drivers in the registry even if the device has no midi capability, for example plugging a USB soundcard might install one. From what I understand there might be a limit to how many midi devices you can have in the registry, or things can get corrupted.

You can install the "Korg USB Midi Driver" even if you don't have any Korg device - the good thing with this driver is that it enables you to uninstall other midi drivers from the registry as well. So you might try uninstalling the Creative drivers, doing a little clean-up with it by removing the unnecessary midi entries with the Korg uninstall utility, then reinstalling the Audigy drivers. See if it helps.

UninstList.gif

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 3 of 10, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great idea, but no luck unfortunately.

It displayed some corrupted entries, which I was able to delete:

Korg.png
Filename
Korg.png
File size
34.9 KiB
Views
File license

Reinstalled the drivers, now I can't do anything anymore. I don't think it's the limit...I was able to install BASSMidi and it shows in the list of midi devices.

Korg2.png
Filename
Korg2.png
File size
29.17 KiB
Views
File license

Maybe I should just give up and use that 🤣

Bassmidi.png
Filename
Bassmidi.png
File size
14.05 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 4 of 10, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

just to troubleshoot, did you click on "option" in the above screens and uncheck "delete KORG midi device only"? This allows you to not only delete the corrupted entries but also the other ones, maybe you need to delete the creative one and some of the others before you reinstall the audigy drivers.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 6 of 10, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I fixed it, 10x 😀

The Korg application made me go hunting in the registry for these entries. I've noticed there was an entry in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}] (this is where wdmaud.drv entries are registered apparently, the midi ports are actually in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32] if anybody's interested, but most of these point to wdmaud.drv, at least in my case) with the 2010 date although I have installed updated drivers previously.

That made me go looking into Device Manager for hidden entries (DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1) and noticed an inactive SB Audigy (from before I changed the motherboard). After removing both entries and reinstalling the drivers again, midi works 😎

Reply 7 of 10, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Audigy 2 ZS. What a great card! ...unless you run Vista/7/8. 😒

If you don't already know about these unofficial driver packs, you should grab 'em:

http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/

In particular, for the Audigy series cards:

http://danielkawakami.blogspot.com/2015/09/sb … rt-pack-61.html

That guy has taken all of the available drivers, patches, hacks, and other unofficial fixes, and compiled them into an all-in-one installation package. For Vista/7/8, this is invaluable. I highly recommend it. Even if you still have WinXP, where the Audigy 2 ZS works 100%, the Daniel K driver package is still easier to work with than the official driver CD and updates. Also, the Daniel K drivers don't complain about the Dell Audigy 2 ZS variants. They install hassle-free for any Audigy 2 ZS card, including the Dell and other OEM versions.

I thought the Audigy 2 ZS was probably the best and most problem-free sound card ever... until I used it with Win7. From the audio levels being inexplicably too low, to Media Center refusing to output Dolby Digital via spdif, it's just not worth using under Win7. Even the Daniel K drivers don't fix these issues. FWIW, X-Fi cards don't suffer from these same problems under Vista/7/8. In the end, I chose to use onboard RealTek audio rather than the Audigy 2 ZS. For WinXP, I don't think there is a better sound card. For Vista/7/8, I think the Audio 2 ZS should be avoided.

Still, I'm glad to see that you fixed your midi problem. I just wanted to let ya know about the Daniel K stuff. 😀

Reply 8 of 10, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never had more than minor problems with this card. The most annoying one was that it crackled in Skype calls, so I just switched the mic and headphones to the onboard sound. The other one is that it looses 5.1 speaker config from time to time and reverts to stereo, so I have to remember to put it back 😀

Well, until now, but this seems more of my fault by not reinstalling the system after changing the hardware. But still, the midi driver could check if the card is no longer present, like the wave-out driver does...

So I never really had the need for updated drivers, I was quite happily running with the latest 2010 official ones. As I wrote before, I have now switched to Daniel K, we'll see how it goes 😁

I couldn't agree more, SB A2 ZS seems like the best card ever made. Sure, the software is flaky from time to time. That was some luck buying it when it came out...at the time it seemed like the cards would just go on and on, but it just went all downhill from there. I actually bought an X-Fi not to long ago because I thought I'd need to use PCI-e slot, but it performed worse and I still have a free PCI slot, so I just put it back on the shelf and use Audigy instead.

Reply 9 of 10, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glad that the Korg software somewhat helped. For some reason when I run it on my system it also shows a corrupted entry for "wdmaud.drv" - don't know what this relates to.

Hard Disk Sounds