Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:
Unknown_K wrote:

I purchased FTP Serv-U back when it was shareware with free lifetime upgrades (basically all features). Think that costs a couple thousand these days with all the options since its commercial now. One of the better shareware purchases I made.

http://www.serv-u.com/

You get a fee 30 day trial if you just want to use it once in a while (delete and reinstall). Has every feature you could ever want.

Good grief, why so much money? How many bells and whistles can you add to FTP?

I think its $495 for the base versions. If you look at the pricing it tells you all the features.

Mostly the corporate versions have unlimited users and domains (you can setup multiple FTP sites depending on users login) plus web server and database support (more then just an FTP). Security is probably why the price is high.

Personally I liked the user interface better in the shareware days when I ran this on a dual PPro overdrive on Windows 2000.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 22 of 27, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i have noticed on mine, mtcp ftp to my server, when i pull down a file, the bigger it is, ie: > 1 or 2mb, there is a huge huge chance of the transfer hanging and not completing, which is strange. sometimes I can pull down 50mb zips, other times anything over a couple of mb hangs

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 24 of 27, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BloodyCactus wrote:

i have noticed on mine, mtcp ftp to my server, when i pull down a file, the bigger it is, ie: > 1 or 2mb, there is a huge huge chance of the transfer hanging and not completing, which is strange. sometimes I can pull down 50mb zips, other times anything over a couple of mb hangs

A lot of servers running on modern TCP/IP stacks don't seem to implement proper flow control when small TCP window sizes are used. If you think this is happening, read the debug instructions and generate a trace for me. I've noticed it with Windows XP in the past, but it is very hard to track down. As an experiment you can try setting your TCP/IP window size for FTP bigger in the mTCP configuration file. I think the default is 8KB; I've noticed the trouble at 4KB.

On a side note, I nearly beg for people to send me their bug reports in the documentation. With a good bug report (including a trace) I can usually figure out where the problem is and either suggest a work around, or if there really is a bug in mTCP I fix it. On the other hand, with so few bug reports I can just assume that things are working.

Reply 25 of 27, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

If you want web-accessible FTP, you certainly better make it SFTP.

FTPS? 😉

SFTP is better anyway. I'm a big fan of SSH. 😁

My favourite FTP servers:
vsftpd (Linux) & FileZilla Server (Windows)

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 26 of 27, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mbbrutman wrote:
BloodyCactus wrote:

A lot of servers running on modern TCP/IP stacks don't seem to implement proper flow control when small TCP window sizes are used. If you think this is happening, read the debug instructions and generate a trace for me. I've noticed it with Windows XP in the past, but it is very hard to track down. As an experiment you can try setting your TCP/IP window size for FTP bigger in the mTCP configuration file. I think the default is 8KB; I've noticed the trouble at 4KB.

On a side note, I nearly beg for people to send me their bug reports in the documentation. With a good bug report (including a trace) I can usually figure out where the problem is and either suggest a work around, or if there really is a bug in mTCP I fix it. On the other hand, with so few bug reports I can just assume that things are working.

Ill see what I can do! I know I can replicate it, so its just a finding the time to do it thing. Ill try and block an hour off tomorrow while my wife takes the kids to grandma's.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 27 of 27, by j7n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use File Zilla Server exclusively on my modern PC, and access it with Total Commander. It is very fast on old systems. A server on an old system isn't strictly necessary on an old computer, but it is convenient to have bi-directional access, and deposit files onto the other system without walking to it first. File Zilla 0.9.12c works on Win98 very well. FZ author seems too overzealous with "security" these days, and dropping of support for old platforms. When I heard talk of enforcing SSL (good luck getting good speed on a Pentium with that, or getting the relevant DLLs to run at all) and making versions time out to force updating, I decided to never anymore upgrade this piece of software. But it is still good.

I always prefer FTP over Windows' Network Neighborhood, because it is independent of system's user accounts, OS-version agnostic, and feedback is readily available on most servers and clients in the form of a log. When Network Neighborhood fails with a cryptic "access denied" message, it usually takes days to figure out how to get past it, if it is at all possible.

On a LAN it pretty much just works out of the box. But also works over NAT. I like the remote management with a Windows-native application. It allows to connect to a remote system, share additional folders, add users, or speed limits: almost all options that are available locally.