VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all!

I've been reading a lot of CGW lately and I've been thinking — what would be the best gaming/enthusiast (i.e. not business or home user) magazine with PC hardware and peripherals (including speakers, joysticks, etc) reviews for the early 90s? The one that is available today in some form, of course.

- PCMag seems a bit more business-oriented — a nice place to see branded PC reviews, not so much for joysticks or videocards;
- CGW only started reviewing hardware around the year 1995 or so and at first they had like one hardware article per issue;
- PCZONE is a bit better (here's a 1993 sound cards review), but not many issues are available today;
- Maximum PC/Boot magazine only came out in 1996.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 8, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_magazines

I subscribed to many of these magazines back in the day, but I don't remember which might've reviewed hardware in the early 90s. PC Gamer? They started in 93, so if they reviewed hardware in that first year, that might fit your bill. I do know PC Gamer had quite a few full versions of classic DOS games on their various included CDs. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 8, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are already 7 scanned issues of boot magazine from 1996-1997, all of them here. Looks like this is the kind of publication I'm looking for (power users/gamers), but it only started around the time Pentium MMX was out.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 5 of 8, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, those 7 issues were an awesome read for me. In short:

- the first issue of byte came in September'96: Pentium Classic was reaching 200 MHz while Pentium Pro was already out and even reaching some high-end home machines, and Pentium MMX was announced;
- byte editors were hyping MMX pretty hard (and it actually was an important release);
- people were confused by the fact that Pentium model line diverged in two different CPU families, each having something the other doesn't. The CPU that would have the best of both world would be Klamath (eventually became Pentium II).
- byte basically said "who knows when Klamath will be available, better grab MMX as soon as it hits the market";
- MMX hits the market in January 1997;
- Pentium II is unveiled merely four months later. To add insult to an injury it needs a whole new motherboard.

Can't imagine the frustration of those who got MMX. I mean, it's not just the frequency — both MMX and PPro were hyped as game-changing technologies, so I imagine Pentium II should have been something else. Here's the boot's editor-in-chief's intro column from May'97:

Screenshot 2016-06-08 02.02.32.png
Filename
Screenshot 2016-06-08 02.02.32.png
File size
72.18 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 7 of 8, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to read c't Magazin für Computertechnik.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 8 of 8, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

c't was / is awesome!

But for me it was mostly PowerPlay and later PC Player (PC Player Benchmark). There was also Gamestar.

At the time these magazines were my only source of information. The gave good advise IMO. Got myself a Sound Blaster and later when the era of PCI was upon us they recommend a S3 Trio 64 V+, both really good purchases.

YouTube, Facebook, Website