Common searches

Retro Consoles.... who plays them

Topic actions

First post, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been into retro consoles for a while and being 34 have experienced the whole console ride upto now.

The whole console retro scene is crazy IMHO but i have a number of systems and love playing them. Who else is into console retro gaming and what systems do you own?

Here is a picture of my setup from last year, it's always changing 🤣!

9ec0a13c-2e4f-48b2-ac22-d6bfdc666b86.jpg

Reply 1 of 61, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm a console fan my self - but not obscure ones... everything mainstream that is worthwhile I own coupled with everdrives, drive emulators and mods 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 61, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love retro gaming of all kinds both Computer and Console. I enjoy some of the original NES games definitely but person it was the 16bit era where gaming really came into it's own to the point where even some new games mimic the sprite based graphics of the 16bit era.

I have limited space but for anything 16bit an earlier I use a modded Xbox or a modded Wii so I can save space. Outside of that I've got all the major consoles from after the 16bit era till last generation. I have not taken the plung on the PS4 yet. I am huge into JRPGs, platformers, beatumups, adventure games...you name it I enjoy it...except for sports games.

Reply 3 of 61, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Keropi I too am an everdrive owner 😀 I have a Super Everdrive which i fitted a DSP-1 too, a Everdrive N8 for my Famicom and a Turbo Everdrive for my PC Engine. I just need a Mega Everdrive now!

@Rhuwyn Space is a killer for me too. That lot is in a small space under the stairs. I also have a "Retro Cube" On wheels which i roll out when i fancy some gaming.

f2ff3cf7-f03d-4941-82cb-ed6677436869.jpg

I'm a big stickler for image quality so i've modded all my consoles for RGB. I modded the Famicom for RGB using the NESRGB board and the picture is immense!

Reply 5 of 61, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The nes/famicom is probably my favorite console too, it just has too many classics!
I've chosen the famicom AV too :

IMG02966-20131105-0805_zps5da0abd6.jpg

which evolved to this when nesrgb got released:

WP_20141212_001_zpsc4592d7f.jpg

finding nice PVMs here is really really hard, luckily scart tv's are plentiful around here 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 61, by Vyothric

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I seem to be playing mostly PC games at the moment, but I have a lot of (old) consoles set up too. Spent the past 4/5 years catching up on all the stuff I missed out on back in the day.

A recent-ish picture of my set-up:
04-s.jpg

A slightly outdated picture of various systems I have:
Systems2014-s.jpg

Mastodon | YouTube

Reply 8 of 61, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Vyothric-impressive setup! Good thing you don't live in an earthquake zone. Those packed shelves make me nervous. Do you use your Atari STs much?

I've only got four consoles--2600, NES, Dreamcast, and Wii. The 2600 was given to us by a friend, but the rest I bought new. Interesting story: I bought the NES in college, then after college I stored it in my parents attic and forgot all about it. Last summer when visiting, I came across it and brought it back home with me. There were two saved games on the Legend of Zelda Gold cartridge that were still accessible! Impressive battery life.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 10 of 61, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love the Dreamcast. I think it occupies a unique place in gaming history and has some truly unique titles on it. It's not at all upgradeable or hackable really but it's an awesome arcade-at-home system. I also live the first Xbox for its versatility and for allowing me to play massive Tetris via a projector 😀

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 11 of 61, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:

I love the Dreamcast. I think it occupies a unique place in gaming history and has some truly unique titles on it. It's not at all upgradeable or hackable really but it's an awesome arcade-at-home system. I also live the first Xbox for its versatility and for allowing me to play massive Tetris via a projector 😀

there are lots of things that have been done with it. 3rd parties even come out with new games. Folks have modded them with SD card reader to load and other things.

Reply 12 of 61, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I grew up in a arcade. So Hech yeah I own a Saturn and neo geo.
other then that I'm not much into games at all. I'll play a few on my pc one every few blue moons. Buts that's all.

Reply 13 of 61, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a few consoles:

Atari 2600, 5200 (non working)
Colecovision
Playstation original modded
Dreamcast
XBOX original model

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 14 of 61, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rhuwyn wrote:
brassicGamer wrote:

there are lots of things that have been done with it. 3rd parties even come out with new games. Folks have modded them with SD card reader to load and other things.

Yep. I modded mine for VGA output, and that's one of the easier things to do. There was even a desktop OS, but development has stopped AFAIK.

Reply 15 of 61, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does a gameboy count? 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 61, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a wood grain ATARI 2600 VCS, a CBS Colecovision & Sega Dreamcast, Also a Weird Russian Sega Megadrive clone. I do have a Xbox 360 too but the DVD drive is 95% dead now.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 17 of 61, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

Vyothric-impressive setup! Good thing you don't live in an earthquake zone. Those packed shelves make me nervous.

I was thinking something similar... Though being crushed to death by games is probably a routine occupational hazard for members of this board.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 18 of 61, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IMG_1125.JPG
Filename
IMG_1125.JPG
File size
1015.85 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_1124.JPG
Filename
IMG_1124.JPG
File size
1.07 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_1128.JPG
Filename
IMG_1128.JPG
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_1126.JPG
Filename
IMG_1126.JPG
File size
961.2 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_1127.JPG
Filename
IMG_1127.JPG
File size
1.47 MiB
Views
File license

This is my Sega Megadrive clone, I can't remember how I got this system or where, but have had it for a good while. It works great and has 6 button pads, switches underneath for language and PAL/NTSC, so runs games from all regions. I love the packaging, Pokemon on a Sega!!!! 🤣 It came with that Atari Jaguar PSU too!
All in all a neat little machine.
I adore Road Rash, De-Cap attack, Magical Hat adventure, Bio Hazzard Battle, Dragon's Fury, Warp speed, Streets or Rage 1&2 and lots of others, it's a great little system.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 19 of 61, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm loving on that Mega Drive knock-off!

I've only recently accepted that I have a console "collection". It happened slowly, while I wasn't watching, but I have a Atari 2600, NES, SMS, Mega Drive, PS1, N64, PS2, Game cube and an Xbox 360. Faves are the Segas and the PS1 but they're all great.

Like most mainstream hardware, modern consoles seem homogenised and boring to me, but the oldies were gloriously unique and a little magical.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.